• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Iowa's Department of Human Services held a confidential briefing Wednesday concerning the death of 16-year-old Natalie Finn, of West Des Moines.

State Sen. Matt McCoy, D-Polk County, told KCCI he spent two hours with DHS officials digging for answers in the case and walked away with the sense DHS has all the right policies in place -- but a series of mistakes were made.

"After sitting there for two hours, I was just really left with a feeling that I just wanted to vomit," said McCoy, who isn't allowed to share all of the details but said it's one of the worst he's ever seen. "I believe this was a systemic, slow death that was almost a form of torture that they imposed upon their child."

[..]

"It seems to me the department failed in giving them enough credibility and enough weight to know that these were really valuable insights that these folks were sharing with the department," McCoy said.

McCoy said multiple reports were given to DHS from different sources, and some reports were from mandatory reporters.

But an internal investigation, he said, showed those reports weren't followed up on like they should've been.

"The findings were not complimentary toward the employees and what they were doing with the data they were collecting and the people they were interviewing," McCoy said.

DHS concluded its own internal investigation in which McCoy said terminations were made, but he didn't clarify whom.

McCoy said he is going to propose a couple pieces of legislation to try to prevent this from happening again.

One calls for school districts to physically check in on home-schooled children quarterly, and another calls for more comprehensive investigations before a foster family can adopt a child.

State medical examiner Dennis Klein is still evaluating McCoy's request for the Iowa Fatality Review Committee to investigate.
http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/St...inns-death-worst-hes-ever-seen-408779165.html

From @Sudonim's post:

McCoy said he is going to propose a couple pieces of legislation to try to prevent this from happening again.

One calls for school districts to physically check in on home-schooled children quarterly, and another calls for more comprehensive investigations before a foster family can adopt a child.

That first one is a GREAT idea, that should be implemented everywhere. How often do we read here about children being pulled out of public school and "homeschooled" just so that the parents can continue to abuse them without the fear of being reported and arrested?

I don't know, actually. :shrug:

I was writing this reply all gung-ho, and then the everjaded part of me whispered, "They'll just halt the abuse quarterly, so the kid can pass inspection".

What do you all think? Would this make any difference?

That first one is a GREAT idea, that should be implemented everywhere. How often do we read here about children being pulled out of public school and "homeschooled" just so that the parents can continue to abuse them without the fear of being reported and arrested?

I don't know, actually. :shrug:

I was writing this reply all gung-ho, and then the everjaded part of me whispered, "They'll just halt the abuse quarterly, so the kid can pass inspection".

What do you all think? Would this make any difference?

It wouldn't solve everything but it might help some. Those filthy houses and starving kids - they don't get like that overnight and you can't fix them overnight. Maybe it would even deter a few people - a huge problem with homeschooling is that it is largely unregulated and unmonitored. If a kid is registered in school and stops showing up or shows up covered in bruises the authorities at least make some effort to find out what's going on whereas a homeschooled kid can just drop off the radar without question. There should be much more stringent standards in place for homeschooling IMO, and legal consequences if they are not adhered to.

Of course that does depend on whether anyone was at home when the inspectors call, or if they are allowed in the house...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/15/teen-starved-death-diaper-floor/99235520/

Natalie Finn, the West Des Moines teenager who starved to death in October, was wearing an adult diaper and lying on the linoleum floor of her bare bedroom when police and medics discovered her, according to newly unsealed court documents.

The 16-year-old "appeared to have been laying on the floor ... in her own waste for some time," West Des Moines police Det. Chris Morgan wrote in an affidavit. She died a short time later at a hospital.

The home reeked of both human and animal waste. Blankets that were "heavily soaked" in what officers believed was urine covered the floor of the room Natalie shared with two of her siblings, according to the documents. The room had no beds or furniture.

"Many animals roamed freely, including well over a dozen kittens and cats," Morgan wrote. "There were numerous kennels with dogs scattered inside the residence."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/21/natalie-finn-starved-iowa-teen/95736956/
Details into Finn's death became public Tuesday when a judge's order to keep search warrant documents under seal expired. The search warrant application filed by Morgan describes investigators' interviews with three surviving Finn children, two of whom were found to be underweight and suffering from bedsores after medics took their sister to a hospital.

Nicole Finn, 42, is facing a charge of first-degree murder for Natalie's death and several other felonies for her treatment of two of Natalie's siblings, a 15-year-old boy and a 14-year-old girl. All three children were adopted. Finn's ex-husband, Joseph Finn, 46, is facing several charges of kidnapping, neglect or abandonment and child endangerment.

Natalie Finn died from emaciation because of the denial of critical care, according to the Polk County medical examiner's office.

Both parents have remained in the Polk County Jail since their arrests in December and are awaiting a trial scheduled for October.

The teen's death has prompted increased oversight from Iowa legislators, including at a hearing Monday where state Sen. Matt McCoy, D-West Des Moines, questioned whether staff reductions at the Iowa Department of Human Services have affected the safety of children. The Iowa Citizens Aide Ombudsman has launched its own investigation in hopes of improving services and processes to prevent future child deaths.

"What happened to not only Natalie but her siblings was preventable," McCoy said Wednesday when contacted by a reporter about the documents.

McCoy, who received a confidential briefing on the case and has spoken to a DHS investigator who was fired after Finn's death, told the Register in January that a principal at West Des Moines' alternative high school, Walnut Creek, had reported to child protective workers that Natalie Finn would come to school dirty and hungry.

According to Morgan's newly unsealed affidavit, police and child protective workers found "ample" food in the house during a previous visit to the Finn home in August. They found that Natalie Finn was making her own choice not to eat — despite a report that her mother was not feeding her, according to the affidavit. The DHS workers and police determined the allegations of abuse were unfounded, but they never sought physical examinations of Finn's health, McCoy has said.

McCoy, who represents parts of West Des Moines, said that he believes the fired investigator had genuine concerns about the children that weren't reflected in the detective's affidavit. The senator said the worker told him that it was apparent during interviews with the siblings that they feared Nicole Finn, but that there wasn't enough evidence found to remove them from the home.

"I think she believed that there was something going on and that these kids were being food deprived," McCoy said.

Officers and medics returned to the house for an emergency call Oct. 24. Finn was found not breathing and unresponsive, according to the warrant application.

Nicole Finn told investigators she had attempted CPR on her daughter after a younger sibling found Natalie on her back with vomit coming out of her mouth around 7 p.m., according to the application.

The mother claimed that Natalie and her siblings woke up around 9:30 a.m. Natalie had a peanut butter smoothie fed to her by her younger sister, the document said.

Finn described her late daughter as a troubled teenager with a mental health disorder, telling the investigators that Natalie and two of her siblings would go to the bathroom on the floor in the home "out of spite and defiance," Morgan wrote. Joe Finn confirmed in his own interview with investigators that he had recently removed carpeting in the bedroom where Natalie was found and replaced it with linoleum "because it was so soiled by the bodily waste from the children," the application said.

The father admitted to investigators that he helped to nail shut a window on the bedroom after the siblings were caught sneaking out to beg for food at a convenience store near the home. Joe Finn said the children lived full time with their mother, but were allowed to visit him and had greater freedoms when they were with him.

"Joe stated that when the kids came to his residence they were allowed to use the restroom and eat food unsupervised, which was contrary to the rules in Nicole's home," Morgan wrote.

Morgan wrote that the investigators determined Nicole Finn controlled how much food the three siblings received.

Natalie Finn was being home-schooled by her mother at the time of her death, and two of her siblings were also not attending school that day, according to the warrant. Both Nicole Finn and the 15-year-old who was home told police that the children were napping from around 2 p.m. that day until around 7 p.m., while the mother worked on her computer promoting the animal rescue that she operated out of the home.

The 14-year-old daughter told investigators that Natalie "often refused to eat" and was so weak that she needed help eating, Morgan wrote. The sister reported trying to feed Natalie on the morning before her death, but claimed that the 16-year-old could not sit up on her own. The girl also claimed that Natalie had been "moaning" in her sleep in the nights before her death and complained of being so cold that she needed extra blankets and a space heater in the room.

According to the affidavit, another 15-year-old son living with the family had greater privileges than his three siblings. He was allowed by Nicole Finn to cook for the family and slept in a bedroom "typical for a teenager" that had a bed, TV and other furniture, Morgan wrote.

Investigators collected a wide range of potential evidence from the home, including Nicole Finn's iPhone, two iPads, another tablet device and computers, according to an inventory unsealed with the other documents. Morgan wrote in his affidavit that investigators were looking for any evidence that could show what the two parents knew about the health conditions of their children and whether any medical appointments had been made for them with professionals.

Morgan wrote that he believed there could be messages exchanged between Joe and Nicole Finn about the "declining health and obvious undernourishment" of the three siblings.

DHS officials have said that the agency has made changes and is doing new training for employees in the wake of Finn's death.

you can't train the stupid out of some people.

from Cubby"DHS officials have said that the agency has made changes and is doing new training for employees in the wake of Finn's death." you can't train the stupd out of some people"
no kidding how many synapses would you have to have firing to see there was an issue well before it reached this issue. Put dw the phone and the donut and get off you fat well paid asses and actually do some real field work instead of scribbling everything is copacetic after a phone call to the supposed guardians

I don't even know where to start with this. I know homeschool parents and they struggle sometimes. I considered it myself but apart from the fact I'm a single mother and I have to work I know I'm not up for the task. But a child laying in her own waste and too weak to eat is not being homeschooled. And it's not like nobody saw it long before it got to the fatal point. Even the father admitted he knew about it and even helped by barring the windows. There were a whole bunch of people who knew about this and nobody did anything about it.

wow. if it's true that the girl didn't want to eat, that still didn't mean she wasn't starving. anyone who grew up hungry knows that after a certain amount of time without food, even the thought of food makes you sick. its only after eating that you realize how hungry you really are.

Geez, let's not throw the 99% of homeschoolers who are honestly trying to better their families under the bus just because no one did the job they were supposed to do in the first place. We homeschool and I don't need anyone from the Dept of Educ. knocking on my door to do a "welfare check" 4 times a year just because my kids aren't in public school. We are lucky that in our small town, our school district supports the homeschool community, but that's the exception. Everyone who had a job to do here seemingly dropped the ball, don't kick the can down the road. Just say, hey we all screwed up and ignored the situation and a kid died.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Natalie was a hero. She not only called out for help to neighbors and begged for food for herself AND her starving siblings...she returned to that hell-hole when she didnt have to just to watch out for her sibs. What an amazingly beautiful, strong young woman...her sibs might just owe their lives to her.
And now shame on all the other bullshit around this horror story....neighbors making calls and crossing their fingers...school peers shaming Natalie for attempting to take a pair of shoes for her bony sore feet...a retard at DHS that doesnt know the fax number....BULLSHIT!! Cowards and assholes. Natalie died slowly, and out-loud, in front of all these do-gooders. What a great big crowd at that candle-light vigil!! Wow!! Where they fuck were they before??? Oh yeah...making phone calls.
[doublepost=1489810029,1489809891][/doublepost]Oh....one more thing...Dear Alex Finn...
You may consider changing your name. Life as you know it is over.

Brief Update

The adoptive mother of a West Des Moines teenager who officials say was starved to death plans to use "diminished responsibility" as a murder trial defense.

Polk County court records say notice of the defense was filed last week for 43-year-old Nicole Finn.

Finn has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in the death of 16-year-old Natalie Finn. Nicole Finn's trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 23. The girl's adoptive father, 46-year-old Joseph Finn II, has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, neglect or abandonment and child endangerment. His trial is set to begin Nov. 27.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/36344102/mom-plans-diminished-responsibility-defense-in-girls-death

I hope the judge tosses that out. If you are running an animal rescue out of your home. You know how important it is to feed living beings.

Geez, let's not throw the 99% of homeschoolers who are honestly trying to better their families under the bus just because no one did the job they were supposed to do in the first place. We homeschool and I don't need anyone from the Dept of Educ. knocking on my door to do a "welfare check" 4 times a year just because my kids aren't in public school. We are lucky that in our small town, our school district supports the homeschool community, but that's the exception. Everyone who had a job to do here seemingly dropped the ball, don't kick the can down the road. Just say, hey we all screwed up and ignored the situation and a kid died.
Well I'm sure you'll have nothing to hide when authorities stop by to check on your children. Its a little more than shrug your shoulders, admit you fucked up and the kid is dead. I'm not a teacher, didn't go to school to be one and I don't think I'd want to be home with them all day everyday. Plus I worked 2 jobs to afford them. Do your kids get tested to graduate high school? Just wondering about checks and balances.

4 times a year at 30 minutes a visit equals 2 hours total out of 8,760 hours in a year. I would gladly cooperate with that if it meant more abused kids would be saved.

can't believe they plead not guilty.

What happened here seems blatantly obvious, from my judgemental armchair position, and I'd think a judge with access to even more details would see the same picture.

wow. if it's true that the girl didn't want to eat, that still didn't mean she wasn't starving. anyone who grew up hungry knows that after a certain amount of time without food, even the thought of food makes you sick. its only after eating that you realize how hungry you really are.

Not only that but it's just an indication she was in the process of dying. People who are near death often have decreased or complete loss of appetite. So very sad.

Last edited:
Its been a year and a few more tidbits were recently reported.
[...]

Investigators said they determined Nicole Finn controlled the food intake of Natalie and her siblings in order to control their behavior and that the children did not attend school regularly.

During an interview with police, Nicole Finn's ex-husband, Joseph Finn, told investigators that he helped Nicole Finn nail the windows of the children’s room shut after learning the children had been sneaking out and “panhandling for food” at a nearby convenience store.

Joseph Finn also told investigators that he helped replace the carpet in the children’s room with linoleum.

[...]

http://www.kcci.com/article/1-year-ago-today-16-year-old-natalie-finn-dies-of-malnutrition/13084340
I wonder how the bio-kid fucks are doing?

responsibility goes first to the parents imo and then outward. I have friends that home school their kids and they agree with me. Someone competent should be out at each and every house at least 4 or 6 times a year minimum and spend thirty minutes to an hour observing and talking to the kids and looking at the curriculum & living conditions same with all these child care places that should be all mandatory licensed.There's alot of fat that could be cut in systems and in particular in administrations of systems to get them to work properly.

The adoptive parents of a 16-year-old girl who died from starvation and years of abuse are alleged to have taken out two life insurance policies before she died last October.

Natalie Finn's parents, from West Des Moines, Iowa, took out a Hartford Life Insurance policy that carried a $10,000 benefit while her adoptive mother bought a policy in 2009 that carried a $25,000 benefit.

Court records show that Natalie's adoptive father, Joseph M. Finn II, called about the second policy the day after Natalie died in October 2016 and his wife was then sent information on how to file a claim.

Both Joseph and Nicole Finn have been charged in Natalie's death.

Nicole Finn, 42, will face trial next month on multiple felony charges, including first-degree murder, for allegedly abusing Natalie and two teenage siblings who also were adopted. Joseph Finn has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, neglect, abandonment and child endangerment.

According to Freep.com Joseph Finn has agreed to relinquish any right to the $10,000 he stood to receive from the policy, while a judge will decide who should receive the $25,000 benefit since Natalie’s death was a homicide.

Both of her parents will likely be disqualified as beneficiaries.

Finn bought the policy after Natalie’s adoption from foster care but before her 2011 divorce from Joe court records show.

Nicole Finn has pleaded not guilty, and her lawyers have said she will use a defense of diminished mental capacity.

Joseph Finn's trial has been postponed until January 8. In his defense he will be saying that he didn't live in Nicole Finn's home after the two divorced in 2011 and 'wasn't around the kids that often.'

A number of people, including school officials and neighbors said they believed Natalie was being abused before she was pulled out of public school last year.

She died in her own waste and was found wearing an adult diaper and lying on the linoleum floor of her bedroom when police and medics discovered her.

There was no furniture in their bedroom or in the bedrooms of her other adopted siblings and the house was overrun by cats and kittens whose feces were scattered everywhere.

'Many animals roamed freely, including well over a dozen kittens and cats,' one said in an arrest affidavit that was obtained by The Des Moines Register.

A medical examination found that the teen died of emaciation because of the denial of critical care.

Natalie was taken to hospital but died of cardiac arrest brought on by severe starvation.

Blankets which were 'heavily soaked' in what was believed to be urine covered the floor of the room Natalie shared with two of her siblings.

'There were numerous kennels with dogs scattered inside the residence.'

Police say the woman kept the children inside the home against their will to be tortured and starved.

She nailed boards to the windows of the house to stop them from escaping when she learned they had been panhandling for food at a nearby grocery store, according to authorities.

They adopted the children together but later separated, and Joseph lived in a different home where they would visit him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...harged-starving-daughter-taken-insurance.html
[doublepost=1511325234,1509503307][/doublepost]
Attorneys for a West Des Moines mother charged with the death of her adopted 16-year-old daughter have filed a motion to keep some information out of her murder trial.

Nicole Finn’s attorney Thomas J. Augustine filed the motion Tuesday in the death of her daughter, Natalie Finn.

The motion requests that Karen Romano limit four items from the trial, including: any evidence of the life insurance policy on Natalie Finn and her siblings, any evidence that Natalie was hit with a bat by Nathan Finn, any reference to Natalie Finn’s siblings as resembling concentration camp and any testimony that Nicole Finn picked up medical records at Dr. Rodemeyer’s office and made a distasteful comment about Natalie’s death.

Jury selection in the trial is scheduled to begin Monday.

Last week, Augustine asked Romano to move the trial out of Polk County, citing “toxic” media coverage surrounding the case.

Romano denied the defense request for a change of venue, but said she will leave the request open depending on whether a jury can be seated.

http://www.kcci.com/article/attorneys-for-nicole-finn-file-motion-to-block-evidence/13821061

WTF?!? What kind of bullshit is that?

'Oh hey judge, all these things are SUPER damning and paint me as a remorseless monster who tortured and starved my children for financial gain, then spoke disparagingly about the one I managed to actually kill. Could we just, uh... not discuss any of that during the trial?'

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

WTF?!? What kind of bullshit is that?

No joke, leave out evidence that the girl was hit with a baseball bat. I wouldn't be shocked if the 15 year old boy was rewarded so heavily to assist with torturing the other three kids. It's absolutely vile. I'm also interested to here the testimony from the other 2 kids once they realize they will never be abused by this monstrous bitch again. That's when you will really get a glimpse into this house of horrors.

Nicole Finn admitted in a text message after daughter Natalie died last October that she erred in not seeking help for three children she is accused of confining and slowly starving.

But the mother of five, who ignored social workers' offers for services for the troubled children she'd adopted, also texted her ex-husband saying she blamed Human Services workers and police for not "helping us sooner if we needed it."

Chris Morgan, the West Des Moines detective who investigated Natalie Finn's Oct. 24, 2016, death, read more than two-dozen damning texts Friday as prosecutors wrapped up their wrenching murder and kidnapping case against Nicole Finn, 43, at the Polk County courthouse.

The texts suggested that Nicole Finn was fed up with three of her four adopted children still at home and that she eventually refused to feed them unless their behavior changed.

All of Finn's adopted children had diagnosed mental health issues. But two, Jaden and Mikayla, testified that Nicole Finn confined them with Natalie to a bedroom last year, installed an alarm on their door and wouldn't let them leave without her permission.

Then they say their mother, a pet rescue operator who suffered from fibromyalgia and lupus, was seldom available and often ignored their need to eat or use the restroom.

Some texts entered into evidence Friday:

• On June 6, 2016, Nicole texted her ex-husband, Joe, after Natalie, Jaden and Mikayla sneaked out of the home through a window, got money from a neighbor and went to stores to buy food. "It's so bad ... Natalie needs to go, and now."
  • On June 10, 2016, Nicole texted Joe after Natalie went to neighbors seeking money for food. "But you realize we have to put this on her and tell DHS she's been stealing at school and trying to control her siblings and teaching them to con."

On June 11, 2016, Nicole texted Joe to say Natalie had "to go out for more food because I didn't give them enough. Does she know how dumb that sounds?
  • On July 26, 2016, she texted Joe to say their 15-year-old son, Jaden, urinated on himself again while she was sleeping. "I told all of them they are not coming out to eat again until they shower and wash their clothes!! … I am not going near them because they won't talk to me about what they are doing and what will fix it. Especially Jaden who appears to really be mentally insane."
  • On Aug. 17, 2016, after police and a social worker got a court order to enter Nicole's house, the mother texted Joe: "Oh yeah. Now it's on. They tore up the beds during their illegal search. You realize, she probably told the police that there was a report that the kids were locked in the basement so that they would try so hard to come in. B----!"
  • On Sept. 25, 2016, Nicole Finn texted Joe that she wasn't going to bring the children out of their room to eat again until they shower. "I have a headache from smelling them. The house stinks!!
    • On Oct. 25, 2016, the day after Natalie died, Nicole texted Nathan to say she "f----d up. I should've just taken her in. What the hell did I do!? She hated me that much?"
    • Another said: "I can't stop thinking about cpr. I didn't do it right. I should've learned it." Nathan responded: "It wasn't are (stet) fault. It was hers."
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-finn-texts-presented-murder-trial/934436001/

My God she acts like this child died out of spite! And maybe the wouldn't stink if you didn't lock them in a room with no access to the toliet. Then how do you starve your kids as punishment for being dirty which is her fault to begin with. My God she is trully a narcissistic selfish bitch isn't she.

This story is all kinds of fucked up. I am so sorry that Natalie tried so hard to get help for herself and her siblings and all she found was that no one cared enough to really help. There was so many warning signs and opportunities for someone anyone to jump in and save her life. May her siblings be able to flourish after the horror they have been subjected to.

BTW it says Nathan beat her with a bat and Nathan says it was her fault not theirs. Nathan is the 15 year old?

The adoptive mother of a teenage girl who starved to death and weighed just 85lbs when she died has been found guilty of her murder.

Nicole Finn was convicted in court in Des Moines, Iowa, on Thursday of murdering her adoptive daughter Nathalie.

Nathalie was found languishing on a linoleum floor of their cat-filled home wearing an adult diaper in October 2016. She died in hospital several days later from a heart attack brought on by severe emaciation.

Nicole, 43, and her husband Joseph were both arrested on child cruelty charges at the time and the other teenagers they had adopted were removed from their care

The pair were living separately at the time of Nathalie's death but had adopted her together years earlier.

On Thursday, Nicole was convicted of first degree murder, kidnapping and child endangerment.

She will be sentenced in January but is likely to be imprisoned for life, the mandatory minimum in Iowa.

After the verdict was returned, Assistant Polk County Attorney Bret Lucas said: 'In 18 years of being a prosecutor, this is the worst case I've ever seen.'

Her lawyers attempted to argue that she was detached from reality.

Joseph was not living in the home when Nathalie died. He has been charged with child neglect, child endangerment and kidnapping and is due to appear in court in January.

He has pleaded not guilty to all three charges.

During the trial, prosecutors argued that Nicole was more concerned with the animals in the home than she was for the three adoptive teenagers.

They were among five children living at the home and were kept in horrific conditions.

Nicole and her husband boarded up windows to stop them going looking for food after they were caught begging neighbors for morsels to eat.

Natalie had been lying in her own waste for 'some time' when police found her in October, according to a police search warrant which was unsealed on Tuesday.

Her siblings were also underweight and had bedsores, according to police.

There was no furniture in their bedroom or in the bedrooms of her other adopted siblings and the house was overrun by cats and kittens whose feces were scattered everywhere.

'Many animals roamed freely, including well over a dozen kittens and cats,' according to an arrest affidavit.

Blankets which were 'heavily soaked' in what was believed to be urine covered the floor of the room Natalie shared with two of her siblings.

'There were numerous kennels with dogs scattered inside the residence.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5183229/Mom-guilty-murdering-daughter-starved.html

Back