• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An upcoming event at a New Hampshire Ivy League college is raising some eyebrows.

Early next year, Dartmouth College will host a seminar titled "What's Up With White People?" for anyone who has ever been "perplexed" by white people.

The event was created by Temple University sociology professor Matt Wray, who says on his Twitter page that he's an expert on "whiteness." The same seminar was held last month at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

The seminar says it will "explore the different types of white people and how you can learn to spot them in their natural habitats."

The hour-long lecture will talk about the transracial former NAACP leader Rachel Dolezal, President Donald Trump, white nationalist Richard Spencer and social justice warriors.

"They each represent a type of whiteness that has become common in the early 21st century," a description reads. "Wray offers a sociological and cultural analysis of what produces and sustains these different white social types."

The seminar will also talk about "the implications of white self-differentiation" for social issues such as mass incarceration, immigration and "self-destruction among whites.

A school spokeswoman told Fox News that Wray's thoughts do not reflect the school's views, and Dartmouth strives to provide students with "robust, respectful, dialogue, and discussion, with the understanding that such interactions will sometimes be difficult or disagreeable."

"As an academic community, we are committed to free speech and open inquiry in all matters," Diana Lawrence told the outlet. "Our students, faculty, and staff enjoy the freedom to speak, write, listen and challenge ideas in pursuit of better learning and understanding."

The "What's Up With White People?" seminar, sponsored by the school's Sociology department, will be held at Dartmouth on Feb. 2.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/n-h-college-host-white-people-event-article-1.3646202

What do you all think?

It's a university, so there should be plenty of ideas flowing, even if some of those ideas conflict with our own. I would probably not take the class myself, but neither do I object to it.

Will there also be "seminars" on how to identify blacks in their "natural environment"? So non blacks can better understand? Maybe a starter course on the most common types of Asians, the difference between Han and Mandarin Chinese. How to distinguish Koreans from Japanese, because it really annoys them to be mistaken for each other. And don't forget the Sub Continent: Indians are Asians too.
Diversity goes all ways, so let's study everyone.
If I said I was" perplexed by blacks" I would be accused of racism at worst, insensitivity at best.

Last edited:
Nah, I like it. With all the "otherness" we use to define different cultures, why not approach our own as if seeing it from the outside? This is what sociology and cultural anthropology are about.

Also, it's not a class, it's just a seminar, meant to provoke fresh ways of thinking and inspire discussion. The title is simply meant to provoke curiosity, and it has. I would go, because I recognize myself in one of the cultural types, the Social Justice Warrior. I think it would be an entertaining, thought provoking day.

It's a university, so there should be plenty of ideas flowing, even if some of those ideas conflict with our own. I would probably not take the class myself, but neither do I object to it.
Ideas should be flowing but they are not. The problem is that ideas only flow one way in places like Dartmouth.
There was a college student in the Pacific Northwest who was driven from campus for his "racial insensitivity" and various charges. He's actually part American Indian, and even a college administrator said he was betraying his heritage. He was pursued on campus by students yelling at him, his Facebook was inundated with hate messages until he closed it. The administration did little to help him.
What was his crime? During the election a Latina student started a group to "defeat Trump". He emailed her and said he was interested in joining the group but would like more details on her actual strategy. She questioned his temerity in actually questioning her!
He replied that before he donated time and money, he wanted to know more about her group to see if they were a fit. (Naturally, there were other "defeat Trump" groups on campus.) She accused him of racism and broadcast his name to the world. He comes from a politically liberal working class family, complete with native American heritage, first in his family to attend college. Just the kind of student a college usually features in a brochure!
He dropped out of college, returned home.
I can't find the link right now, it might have been in spiked-online or City Journal, both magazines devoted to free thinking on campus.

Last edited:
Wtf our natural habitats? We aren't fuckin monkeys
God damn I want a whats up with black people seminar as well.. it shouldnt be a problem? Right!?

Also, it's not a class, it's just a seminar, meant to provoke fresh ways of thinking and inspire discussion.
Do you seriously think Dartmoor is interested in any "fresh ways of thinking" that might fall outside the current politically correct academic fads and identity politics?

Makes you wonder how much outcry there would be if someone were to start a seminar with any other race plugged in there other than white people?

All it is stereotyping, which despite beliefs these days it is not the same thing as racism.

Back