• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...-opening-medical-marijuana-business-1.4403194
canada-politics.jpg

The former Toronto police chief and politician who once compared legalizing weed to legalizing murder is defending his decision to open a company connecting patients with medical marijuana.

Julian Fantino, a former Ontario Provincial Police commissioner and Conservative veterans affairs minister, cut the ribbon for his new business Tuesday with his partner, former RCMP deputy commissioner Raf Souccar.

Aleafia Total Health Network bills itself as a company that will connect patients to the "most effective product" for them and will work with universities and producers to research medical applications of the drug.

Fantino, a longtime opponent of marijuana legalization, told the Toronto Sun in 2004 that legalization would not cut down on crime, adding: "I guess we can legalize murder too and then we won't have a murder case. We can't go that way."
[....]
Now it's being made a legal item and so therefore there's no point in me arguing the issue. What I do think is important, though, is that if and when it becomes a legal commodity, that the concerns expressed by the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the medical profession and others to ensure that there be proper education.

You also said fewer than two years ago ... "This is simply wrong," and this is a quote, "puts the health and safety of our children and communities at risk."

You have to separate out the whole issue of legalization from what I'm involved in right now. I'm involved in the medical aspect that helps people greatly through the dispensing of medically prescribed marijuana cannabis.

People suffering from chronic pain, people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, sleep deprivation, the post events form cancer treatment — these are the things we're involved with right now. We'll wait and see how the rest of it shakes out.
[....]
We're not looking to capitalize on anything right now. We're dealing with the medical aspect of cannabis. I've mentioned that a number of times.

As chief of police in Toronto, you were very strict about drugs. You put people in jail. There are young people who are in jail because of people like you. You don't see any contradiction between your past life as chief of police ...

Not at all. What I did in law enforcement, I ascribed and I followed my oath of office, the laws of the land, my duty and responsibility, I did it faithfully and accountably.

You're making a huge mistake if you believe that I put everyone in jail that I came across that had marijuana. I gave all kinds of people all kinds of breaks.

So we're talking about a different issue. We're talking about me today, as a responsible, educated, informed citizen who's had the experience of knowing the benefits of medical cannabis for people who are suffering from ailments that are normally not well cared for by plying them with opiates.
[....]
People went to jail, went to prison with six-month sentences the courts had to give them, because of a law you passed even as you knew, according to what you've told us, that this was something of benefit to vets.

I can tell you right now that we're talking about medical cannabis.

If someone was growing plants for medical reasons when you passed Bill C-10, they would go to jail as well. ... Is that not true, Mr. Fantino?

All I can tell you is that what we did was to help veterans and now we're helping others who are benefitting greatly from the medical cannabis availability who are being taken off of opiates.
[....]
We are involved with very ethical and honourable people, financed totally by family and friends, who believe, as we do, in the benefits of medical cannabis to help people suffering from various ailments and trying to lessen the dependency on opiates, which are a tragedy in this country.

But you do expect to make money from this?

There's investors who have put their trust in us and we owe them a return if there is a return available.

You can frame it anyway you want, but you will never be able to take away my integrity with respect to what I'm doing now and what I've done in the past.

Integrity?

What I read was “Oh shit. More people are buying pot now and there’s crazy money to be made! I need in on this!”

:penguin:

I don't have much a problem with this. He was against legalizing it, but enough people wanted weed to be legal and they got their way. I can see him say to himself "if these people are stupid enough to want it legalize I might as well make some money off their stupidity." Unless he wanted to keep weed illegal because he was secretly dealing, I can't find him a fault.

Fantino is a scumbag of the lowest order.
He caused more problems during his involvement in policing than anyone before or after.
Bloated scrotum should be in prison.

He wasn't just against legalizing it, he demonized it. Compared it to murder. He was so over the top in his condemnation, but now wants to make money off it. I would not find someone to be a hypocrite for thinking legalization "probably wasn't a good idea", then changing their mind later, but the extremes he went to, and now doing a complete about face, yes, I find that highly hypocritical, and I do find fault.

I think he should be cut off of any dealing with it as he was one of those assholes that would ruin innocent peoples lives for it. some of the top players that are trying to get involved with it now even though you have places that are still busting it in legal states ar ex deas and such, just amazing

Fantino is a scumbag of the lowest order.
He caused more problems during his involvement in policing than anyone before or after.
Bloated scrotum should be in prison.

Actually ... they tried really hard to find dirt on him. Turns out he was simply a good man. My grandpa considered him a friend. You don't know what you're talking about.

He absolutely is not ...
[doublepost=1510954397,1510954336][/doublepost]

That isn't what you read ... so many people love this guy
Excuse me? Don’t tell me what I read.

Dude compared pot to MURDER!

But now he wants in on the industry.

I know what the hell I read and I don’t give a shit how many people like him.

I’m not a sheep. My opinion is based on what he has said and that alone. I don’t follow the herd.

“So many people love this guy” means :mooning: to me.

Thanks though.

Last edited:
on top of that you can not have any dirt on you per se and have blood on your hands and well as be responsible for atrocities so not buying it, he changed his idea have him promote but not make a dime off of it

Actually ... they tried really hard to find dirt on him. Turns out he was simply a good man. My grandpa considered him a friend. You don't know what you're talking about.
We are going to need to agree to disagree.
As a former journalist there was a tremendous cloud hanging over Fantino and some of those around him.
From his time in London., to Toronto and then his sojourn into politics.
Witness tampering, abuse of power, selective enforcement, interferring in internal investigations and the list goes on.
He was and remains an absolute opportunistic dirtbag who feels he is a special case in all things.
Now his reversal on his pot outlook is a just another recent, glaring example.

I appreciate you have family that called him friend,
but that does not change reality.
Sorry.

@sejaunas ... jokes !

Journalists tired and tried to do an expose' on him, they followed him around for months and found he went to work, went to dinner with his wife and went to church ... He is a good man.

Most of the west has or is changing their mind about marijuana and all of its practicalities, so I'm not going to fault his shift in his approach or point of view, in the face of twenty years of new information regarding canibis.

In the same spirit as the last sentence of this interview, article ... smear campaign is probably more accurate .... You can frame it anyway you want too ... This mans integrity will remain intact.

Remember folks, the ignore feature is your friend .. :p

I haven't read certain poster's crap in a couple of years now and it makes the Demon so much better!
I have 4, of the biggest fucktards here, on ignore ..

I haven't read certain poster's crap in a couple of years now and it makes the Demon so much better!

Oh ... so that's why you're left out of some of the best conversations here! Good to know ... folk. You know I got a trophy for embracing remarks like the one you just made ... what did you get ... nothing ?

Last edited:

I know I am not one of them cuz you often give me some nice nice...lol

Back