• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pregnant-woman-29-burned-alive-165000435.html

A pregnant woman found burned alive last week in what may have been a confrontation over a car.

Family members of Amanda Lynn Benton, who was five months pregnant, reported her missing after she was last seen Monday.

Her mother told WDIV that Amanda, who was struggling to kick a heroin addiction, was killed for her car.

Her father, Tom Benton, said his daughter was trying to get help.

"My daughter had some demons she was fighting," Benton said. "She was turned away from so many different rehabs because she didn’t have the right insurance or enough money."

Authorities had been searching for Benton since Wednesday, when family reported her missing. Her remains were discovered in an abandoned Detroit home.

Authorities said a 16-year-old boy has been arrested in connection to the grisly murder. An indictment is also forthcoming for a 23-year-old man who's currently being held on unrelated charges, police said.

Family members have created a GoFundMe page to help pay for Benton's funeral.

"This unexpected tragedy has struck deep within our hearts and we would love nothing more than to honor her passing with the dignity and respect that she deserves," the page reads.

No one deserves to be burned alive-- junkie or not, she was a person.
Who knows what kind of mother she could've been with the right support?

At first when I read the headline I was thinking- pregnant woman burned to death? Why haven't I heard about this yet? Then I read 'fighting a heroin addiction' and I'm like- Of course, bc she was 'just another junkie', not as important of a loss if she were 'a real person'.

That's really tragic.

ETA: Her Go fund me goal of 7k is almost there. There is a 50/50 mix of supportive comments & 'the junkie deserved it' comments.
14983433_1475268617_9051.jpg

29yo Amanda Lynn Benton: Mother of 4 boys, expecting her 1st daughter- Burned alive for her car

E again TA: I'm not a drug addict, nor do I have any close family/friends who are addicts & I don't know this woman or her family. I just hate to see any person marginalized due to circumstances that they find themselves in. It's easy to write someone off. I just believe that every life is important, every person can change, every person deserves a second chance.

Last edited:
Too bad no one thought to start a go fund me page to get her into rehab.
Perhaps they did and she ran away or relapsed, or because of her drug history, no one with money to donate who knew her had any confidence that it would work so would not contribute.

Who knows what kind of mother she could've been with the right support?
That's assuming she was ready to help herself. She might have been featured on DD pimping her chold for a fix. It's hard to muster optimism about the poor woman.
So sad.

"theres a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us."

junkie or not, it wasnt deserved.

beautiful girl. i really see some of me/my former self in her eyes. she really couldve done so much with her perspective if only she had the CHANCE to get clean. she couldve helped other people still walking that scary path, people who are usually sensitive, loving people who have typically seen more dark shit in their existence than their minds or hearts could handle.
i really just dont get it. society says, dont smoke while prego, its bad for and not fair to the baby. we are all supposed to support our schools so children get a fair chance to become a productive member of society. we as states provide foster care for children who have already seen their share of dysfunction and abuse. we are taught (hopefully) as we grow up to treat others as we wish to be treated, not to be rude to, stare at, or make judgements about others as the book cover doesnt tell the full story. we help the homeless especially homeless families and children because we cant imagine how tough living that way would be. we like to think we would speak up if someone was suicidal because they are worthy of saving and helping. we like to think we are so fucking accepting and altruistic, but children in any of these scenarios (addict parents, abused/neglected, rejected socially, foster care, homeless) are WAAAY more likely to try, be attracted to or grow up to abuse drugs. ik because i grew up in every single category myself and, because i didnt have a healthy upbringing or role model, i found solace in heroin which was everywhere in portland when everyone you know is on the streets. it was the natural, human progression of that path to try it, i wish i had known in doing so all i would be giving up, but by then it was too late,i was suddenly a worthless pos waste of space who deserved everything and more, even death!! i will never get adequate medical care again as i am a known addict. i even had 9 teeth removed with no pain meds before or after by a dentist who yelled about me being a 'DRUG ADDICT' in front of a whole office full of patients. thats what people like me get. we are held to impossible standards of perfection and any honesty regarding our status even in recovery is always regretted when we are reminded that the world would rather see us dead.
its kinda ironic that EVERY anti drug anti druggie crusader condemns out of one side of their mouth while they consume caffiene, sugar, nicotine etc through the other. it seems like the only people who see the epidemic going on here are those who have fallen victim to it, and those that love them. once you understand, its too late.
so how about giving our fellow suffering human beings a hand instead of a slap in the fucking face? its not easy to rebuild ones life and NO ONE knows how they will deal with trauma until it happens. its sad that it seems to be those who have suffered and who have so little that have the most empathy. people are fking assholes.

Jeremy Lee was sentenced Monday to 25-60 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge for the murder of a 29-year-old Melvindale woman.

Amanda Lynn Benton was reported missing Sept. 28, 2016. She was found dead two days later in a vacant home on Vanderbilt Street near West End Street in Southwest Detroit.

"This was a senseless and brutal murder where you assaulted and strangled a pregnant woman, threw her in the trunk of a car. You took her to an abandoned building and you set her on fire -- her and her unborn child," said Judge Cameron before he handed down the sentencing.

Lee's attorney did argue for a possible lighter sentencing because, he said, investigators would not have found Benton's body if it weren't for information they got from Lee.

Benton's mother and father both gave emotional statements in court before the sentencing. They recalled Amanda as a giving person and loving mother of four boys.

Lee, 16, said he did not want to give a statement in court before he learned he would spend at least the next 25 years in prison.

Lee and 23-year-old Jacob Barnes were arrested in September and originally charged with felony murder, first-degree murder, assault of a pregnant individual, intentionally causing death of a fetus and mutilation of a dead body. But Lee pleaded guilty to second degree murder and the rest of the charges were dismissed. Barnes is scheduled to go to trial in May.

Both Barnes and Lee first pleaded not guilty to the charges and were not granted bond. Lee has been held at a juvenile detention facility while Barnes is being held in the Wayne County Jail.

Barnes also was given a habitual offender fourth offense notice because of prior convictions, which holds a mandatory 25-year sentence. The maximum sentence is life, or a lesser term because of the prior convictions.

According to authorities, Barnes and Lee fatally assaulted Benton at Woodmere and Cabot streets. She was beaten in the head, neck and abdomen, before they put her in the trunk of her car and drove to the vacant house on Vanderbilt Street where they allegedly set her body on fire, officials said.

Police said the men drove off in her car and left it in southwest Detroit.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...rison-for-murder-of-pregnant-melvindale-woman
jeremy-lee-and-jacob-barnespng-2c027ab00bf2a662.png

I've had plenty of habits but have never been an actual junkie. I believe will and effort are the most vital elements of leaving any level of habit as well as state of mind. I would think if you really wanted to get clean you would make some attempt to learn how that works and make an attempt to do it on your own rather than believe you have no choice. It's pretty amazing how much we humans can do when we set our minds on a goal and stick to it. Once a person decides to take back their power and responsibility, a transformation has already begun.

Sorry @Satanica, I respectfully disagree. Willpower is nothing in the face of a physical addiction. Opioid and alcohol addicts can die going it alone. That's not even touching on the physical or psychological pain. It's beyond the comprehension of anyone who hasn't experienced true addiction.

ETA: Nelsan Ellis chose willpower. He had his family to help him. He died.

Last edited:
Back