• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...es-popeyes-chicken-as-its-own-charges-13.html
[....]
Sweet Dixie Kitchen, a small restaurant specializing in comfort food with a Southern influence, was called out by Yelp user Tyler H., of Los Angeles, who claimed in his review, “Before my friends and I got seated [at the restaurant] we saw them quickly bring in two large boxes of Popeyes to the kitchen.”

Once seated, Tyler H. ordered fried chicken and waffles that he said tasted “suspiciously like Popeyes.”

“I kindly asked our waiter how they cooked their fried chicken. After checking he admitted that they do in fact use Popeyes,” Tyler H. continued in his review. “The manager compensated us for the entire meal.”
[....]
“We PROUDLY SERVE Popeyes' spicy tenders — the best fried chicken anywhere and from New Orleans — which are delivered twice a day. We also in case you need to know buy our gumbo from a friend who sells it at a local farmers market,” Sanchez said in her response.

“We promote usually small batch local producers in our menu. The exception is Popeyes – we can’t fry at this location – and it the fried chicken I love so much and I ate a ton of it in the ATL. So I serve it,” she continued.

Sanchez’s Yelp response also added that they “don’t mill our own flour” or “grow our own veggies.”

In an interview with Fox News, Sanchez said that she started using Popeyes two months ago for two new dishes – fried chicken and waffles and their fried chicken sandwich.
[....]
“We wrote it on our board in the restaurant, ‘Imported from Louisiana this week, thank you Popeyes.’ It wasn’t a secret. We use the chicken as an ingredient in a menu item we made, we don’t use their sauces or anything else.”

But other customers that learned about the questionable chicken sourcing have felt duped and took to Yelp to vent their frustrations.

“Serving another restaurant's food and charging a premium!?” Yelp user Jeremy O. asked.
[....]
However, despite the complaints rolling in, Sanchez has doubled down on her decision to outsource the restaurant’s fried chicken in a long rant on Facebook detailing where the brunch outpost gets its ingredients.

The restaurant is open about making “roughly 95 percent” of the food they sell in house, like the seasoned potato salad and eggy quiche — the caveat being that the quiche, where they “crack each egg and measure spices and cream,” is then poured into a “pie crust that was made elsewhere.”
[....]
she has reached out to the franchise owner of the Popeyes where she gets her chicken to try and create a partnership, but has not heard back yet.

“I would be glad to put Popeyes on my menu. I walk in through the front door carrying the bag of chicken. The customers know where it’s from. Popeyes knows.”

Sanchez said going forward she will continue to sell the chicken on her menu and vows that she will continue the business “the same way we have always done — honest that we make nearly all from scratch.”

Meh, the restaurant is honest about it. It's the customer's choice to pay for it.
First World problems!

It's not unusual for a small restaurant to source items from another establishment if they don't have the equipment to produce it. As long as they are clear where it comes from.

I don't see much wrong with it as long as they are honest with the customers and Popeye's is okay with it.

I, personally, don't like Popeye's because it is too spicy for me, so I'd have to know it was Popeye's to be able to make an informed decision about it.

I don't think Popeye's would care. They made a sale.
My father was chef in a well known local restaurant that also sold soup to a nearby chicken restaurant. The chicken place advertised that they sold the "Shadows famous soup". Good advertising for both places.
When my father made the soup du jour, he made an extra five gallons for the other restaurant.

Last edited:
One, Popeye's chicken is outstanding. Two, from another source I heard this restaurant doesn't normally served fried food, but they wanted to offer something a bit different for a limited time. They could have easily capitalized on this through cute advertising.

I dated a guy who worked for a coffee shop/cafe; one of his jobs was to get the bagels they sold at the coffee shop from a specialty store in the morning.

Obviously, it isn't like the restaurant is trying to cover it up. If you don't like it, eat somewhere else. I've had Popeyes - not my cup of tea, but whatever works.

If Popeyes is in California, close enough to this restaurant to be delivered twice a day?

She's gonna have to essentially "reheat" my fried food, unless I'm super lucky to arrive moments after a fresh delivery. Then she'll charge me more?

Sorry, differing opinion here. But nope. Thinking about reheated 3 hour old KFC or Church's when you don't have a fryer for a quick dip, idk. Is it under a heat lamp?

But I'm also in my late 30's, have about a good 18 months retirement saved, so far, then I'll need to die and I'm getting super scroogie lately thinking about that.

I'll save my pennies. Drive to her hook up Popeyes store. Then eat 10 minute old food at home and put my savings and tip elsewhere.

Good on her for being honest, though! I think that might've averted a now so common social media catapulting.
[doublepost=1508476397,1508475965][/doublepost]
"I kindly asked our waiter how they cooked their fried chicken. After checking he admitted that they do in fact use Popeyes"

I now doubt the validity of their honesty and whether that was ever actually written on the board.

Unless it was this waiter's first day, I'm betting he's seen Popeyes bags and when confronted by a customer, he had no clue what to say.

Shouldn't he know, if they were PROUDLY SERVING it?

She got busted by the boys and decided to attempt damage control.

You know how someone lying always gets waaay specific and a little off topic? That's why the farmers market and homemade 95 percent come in. ;)

Oh well. 6 one way.

Last edited:
When I'm having company, I buy 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies from am/pm (baked fresh every few hours)

Then I arrange them on a fancy plate. I don't say I made them and I don't say I didn't.

And you know what, if I was going to have a bake sale, my cookies would come from AM/PM.

Last edited:
I see ALL SORTS of problems with this.

She's not covering it up cuz she knows she is busted. She is now trying to do "Damage Control." Very poorly.

Holy shit, I dont even know where to start...
As a management level certified safe food handler, this is appalling for alot of reasons:

First being, food handling procedures..
Then comes the possibility near certainty, of cross contamination issues.
Then comes the legalities of it.
Then the dishonest business practices.
Then the dishonest duping of consumers (cuz Yes, thats EXACTLY what she is doing)

For God's sake this is so many nopes.

I am fairly certain (like 99.999%) Popeyes was not aware this restaurant was doing this.. for several reasons. Biggest being that cross contamination and unsafe food handling issues sicken thousands of people every single day in this country. They would be opening themselves up for a HUGE lawsuit if any of these instances were to occur in her establishment.

“We PROUDLY SERVE Popeyes' spicy tenders — the best fried chicken anywhere and from New Orleans — which are delivered twice a day.

Ok.. Popeyes does not deliver. Way to word that cautiously... You go pick that shit up, and you deliver it yourself to your establishment. The closest Popeyes location is .7 miles away- (yes, i google mapped it.) I'm also very curious as to whether she visits the same location 2x daily, or if she alternates between the 4 Long Beach locations as to not raise suspicion to her actions.
I pray she doesn't stop for dry cleaning and the bank or something after picking it up... but for all we know she gets it the night before, takes it home, puts it in her fridge and takes it to work the next morning..

If you "PROUDLY SERVE" popeyes chicken it would CLEARLY (but possibly in very fine print- always read the fine print..) state that on the menu..
I bet Popeyes sues her over this. I totally see that in the near future.

Moving on... then there is this:
We also in case you need to know buy our gumbo from a friend who sells it at a local farmers market,” Sanchez said in her response.
Ok, issues with this as well...

Gumbo is a "non- agricultural product"
Meaning the rules and regulations of sale at a farmers market are quite a bit more lax, as opposed to the sale of agricultural products at a farmers market.

Being that she said "a friend who sells it at a local farmers market" as opposed to "a vendor from a local farmers market" leads me to believe that there is all kinds of hinky in this statement as well..

For all we know her "friend" is making gumbo in her home kitchen with the cat walking on the counter and shaking her tail in the pot. I am grossed out even thinking about it...

I would be very curious to see her friend's packaging (and labelling- to see if it meets all requirements) and honestly, just to see if it is even legit.. the fact that she felt the need to bring it up while under fire= sketchy IMO.

I live in a ranching community and know all about farmers markets and their regulations and requirements. I have many friends who sell produce, as well as eggs and dairy (which have an entirely different set of regulations) at farmers markets.

Nope. Nope. Nope.
This lady... WTF. She is begging for someone to fall ill or die as a result of her deception. At the very least, she is begging to be sued.

I'm totally going to watch for info on this story now.

ETA: holy crap, wall of words.

There is a Popeyes right across the street from me.
Like the food but the people running it are the most hateful racists I have ever encountered...
and they are not even white.

Plus the food gives ya the Hershey Squirts.

The biggest shock of this story though must be that anyone uses Yelp.

Lmao! I just in the past few days watched a vid on youtube and kfcs nasty ass food handling procedures. Was completely blown away. For so many reasons...

Nasty.
All kinds of cross contamination and improper handling and storage issues. Gross.

I miss u! Lets see though... you know lookin at that nasty ass video I think il go get me some of them rocky. mountain... oyesters! Lol. Anything is better then what the hell you just made me watch. Yuck!!

I miss u! Lets see though... you know lookin at that nasty ass video I think il go get me some of them rocky. mountain... oyesters! Lol. Anything is better then what the hell you just made me watch. Yuck!!

I miss you too!
LMFAO I was just talking to someone who ate them a few weeks back. She tried them for the first time, and I just had to ask about the texture of them... of course I did..

This bitch said "veiny and chewy." For God's sake. Veiny? Chewy? Nooooo!!! Hell to the fuck no, even.

At that very moment, the noise that I made (entirely too loudly, in a room full of people) turned heads. I noped right on out of that convo. For real.

“To be honest, I thought they were calling to sue me.” Those were the words of Kim Sánchez, owner of Sweet Dixie Kitchen, a trendy brunch spot in Long Beach, California. By now, Popeyes’ chicken sandwich, and the social media eruption that followed, has buried news across the fast-food lexicon. Including where this crazy story actually began from a marketing standpoint.

Back in 2017, Sweet Dixie Kitchen grabbed notorious headlines when it got caught serving Popeyes chicken and presenting it as their own. Sánchez was spotted walking through the front door with Popeyes bags. It went viral overnight and sparked the #POPEYESGATE backlash.

Popeyes playfully engaged the restaurant to introduce its new chicken sandwich—the company’s biggest product launch in 30 years (and that was true before it even hit stores)—from August 8–9 ahead of the August 12 rollout.

“If you want to try it, be sure to pay them a visit on August 8 and 9. We promise our new sandwich is worth the visit,” Bruno Cardinali, head of marketing for North America for the Popeyes brand, said in an earlier release.
[....]
According to Business Insider, Popeyes said it sold as many sandwiches in that span as it expected to hand out through the end of September. It didn’t provide a timeline for when the item might return.

"We, along with our suppliers, are working tirelessly to bring the new sandwich back to guests as soon as possible," the company told BI.

International Business Times, citing “various sources,” said Popeyes earned anywhere between $20–$23 million from its new chicken sandwich, and the buzz that followed.

Apex Marketing Group estimated Popeyes’ garnered $23 million in equivalent ad value across digital, print, social, TV, and radio in the 11 days that followed August 12.

Back