• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

EchaSez

Hope is the thing with feathers.
HOWELL TWP., N.J. (WPVI) --
A New Jersey family was told their dog had been put down five months ago, but little did they know the pet had been living with a veterinary worker all that time.

Caesar's family grieved for their pet when they believed the chronically ill dog they had for 15 years was put down at Briarwood Veterinary Hospital in Howell, Monmouth County.

That was until they received a tip call last week saying the dog was actually still alive.

"I'm dumbfounded. I don't even know how to say, I don't know how to feel," said Caesar's owner, Lonnie Levy.

He paid $192 for the dog's cremation and even got a condolence letter from Dr. George Menez, the family's longtime vet.

But instead of euthanizing Caesar, Menez allegedly let a vet tech in the office take the dog home without the Levy's knowledge or permission.

"You charge me to put him down and then sneak him out the back door? It's horrifying," Levy said.

When police got involved the vet tech was ordered to return Caesar, who by then was so ill he had to be euthanized immediately.

"To this date, we have not confirmed that there was any type of veterinary care being rendered to this dog," said Chief Ross Licitra of the Monmouth County SPCA.

"There's potential of theft charges against the doctor for basically taking the victim's money and not performing the service," said Chief Andrew Kudrick of the Howell Twp. Police Department.

Action News was unable to contact Dr. Menez for comment. He and the vet tech involved no longer work at Briarwood.

The veterinarian who bought the practice just last week and helped the Levys figure out what happened is upset.

"It's hard enough when you have to decide a pet should pass, but you have to deal with that twice with the same pet? It's just unthinkable," said Dr. Maureen Kibisz.

http://6abc.com/pets-animals/dog-thought-to-be-put-down-turns-up-at-vet-workers-home/2549364/

This doesn't even makes sense. It's not enough money to 'steal' to care for a chronically sick dog for months. My guess is the vet tech didn't want to euthanize and took the dog home for some sort of hospice care.

If I paid $192 to have my dog put down and later found it had lived with a vet employee for a couple more months I'm not sure if I would be mad (if the dog was being cared for).

It's kinda bizarre though.

This is just...
evil.

We had a vet scumbag that was abusing animals that was video recorded doing it.
Took time but the prick is finally done like dinner.

I truly hate assholes like that.

That is ballsy. I wouldn't be pissed at the vet tech, but I'd leave the vet's rep and business in ruins, figuratively, of course. I am always present when any of mine are put down. Remember, there was a vet in N Texas who was telling folks their dog had been put down but he was actually keeping them to get blood for doggie transfusions or some such weird shit.

We've got a vet here in our little town that is particularly shady. Some guy brought in a stray cat that had been hit by a car. He offered to pay for the surgery and adopt the cat. Vet did surgery, charged the guy about $2000, then wouldn't give the cat back since it turned out to be a rare color/breed. Guy didn't care vet kept the cat, but vet turned him over to a collection agency because he (of course) refused to pay the bill. The rumor mill here is full of stories like that of this vet. I've taken pets there and they have no clue about what's going on with them. Misdiagnosed one until he was so far gone he couldn't be treated (took him to another vet who said whoever I took him to the first time was a quack and that his condition would have been easy to treat when I went to vet #1. Had to euthanize by that time :().

Last edited:
If your pet needs to be put down, stay there and make sure it's done. Your pet served you well, ensure your pet's exit is quick.
It's one shot and the animal dies instantly. Deal with it.
The vet tech is equally culpable for letting the dog suffer, I won't cut any slack for the tech.

If your pet needs to be put down, stay there and make sure it's done. Your pet served you well, ensure your pet's exit is quick.
It's one shot and the animal dies instantly. Deal with it.
The vet tech is equally culpable for letting the dog suffer, I won't cut any slack for the tech.

100% agree with this. It's fucking hard and upsetting but I feel like you owe it to your pet to not leave them alone in a stressful environment for their last moments.

Your presence is calming, and they'll have hugs and love until they draw their final breath. We should all be so lucky.

The vet allows the vet tech to take the dog home.

Hospice or not, it wasn't really their choice.

But the kicker, he's now so sick he had to be immediately euthanized and no one knows if he's been receiving vet care?!?! From a vet tech?!?! Approved BY A VET?!?!? :mad:

This is why I agree, I can't do Crimes Against Animals.

Back