• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa...ender-reveal-in-kindergarten-class/ar-AAqxCkV
[....]
At Monday night's board meeting, the teacher at the center of the controversy spoke out. With emotions high, she addressed a packed house.

"I'm so proud of my students, it was never my intent to harm any students but to help them through a difficult situation," she said.

The teacher defended her actions to read two children's books about transgenderism including one titled "I am Jazz." She says the books were given to her by a transgender child going through a transition.

"The kindergartners came home very confused, about whether or not you can pick your gender, whether or not they really were a boy or a girl," said England.

Parents say besides the books, the transgender student at some point during class also changed clothes and was revealed as her true gender.

And many parents say they feel betrayed and blindsided.

"I want her to hear from me as a parent what her gender identity means to her and our family, not from a book that may be controversial," a parent said.

"My daughter came home crying and shaking so afraid she could turn into a boy," another parent said.
[....]
Many teachers also spoke out in support of what transpired inside the classroom. They spoke about the importance of teaching students about diversity and having healthy dialogues.

One parent said the impact on her son was extremely positive.

"It was so precious to see that he had absolutely no prejudice in his body. My child just went in there and listened to the story, and didn't relate it to anything malicious, or didn't question his own body," she said.

"When we head in the direction of banned books or book lists, or selective literature– that should only be read inside or outside the classroom, I think that's a very dangerous direction to go," said 7th grade teacher Kelly Bryson.

The district says the books were age-appropriate and fell within their literature selection policy. Unlike sex education, the topics of gender identity don't require prior parental notice.

In a statement during the board meeting, the district said: "As indicated by Superintendent Robin Stout in a communication last week, staff will be engaging parents and teachers in discussions about how materials outside our curriculum will be addressed in the future."

The large discussion has compelled the board to put the item on the next month's agenda.

Interesting that the only outrage is from adults.
[doublepost=1503502039,1503501933][/doublepost]Kids are so pure, accepting and genuinely loving.

It takes an ass hole parent with all their rage and hate to fuck that up.

I can see how a child might be confused about the topic ... I can also understand their fear of turning into a boy or girl ... I say this from personal experience because when I was a little girl, Dale our regular garbage man in our neighbour hood ... or at least the one we seen because he was on the back of the truck and tossed cans ... called me and my group of girls friends BOYs when we walked by. In the contexts of Hi Boys as we were going by and that's it. I'm sure now as an adult that his remarks were innocent ... but as a child I was confused by his comment. So much so that every week I was late for school on garbage day ... I would take the a different route, or dawdle to avoid him because I knew I was a girl. I was in third grade when i was this occurred, so from here I think we should just let kids be themselves and that this topic is not suitable for a kindergarten class.

if my child came home crying and shaking afraid he could possibly turn into a girl, i'd think he was "outraged". just in a different form. children do not process things like adults. As parents, it's our responsibility to stand up for our children. this instance is no different. sure, ok, talk to your kids and let them ask questions. that's all well and good. i would not want anyone else explaining transgenderism to my child besides me. school is the place my child learns academics not about other children's gender situations. Children don't come out of the womb judging others. so it's more likely that they will accept the child as whatever they introduce themselves as, without knowing what kind of genitals they have. i don't need anyone, ESPECIALLY a teacher, confusing my child or introducing him to something he knows absolutely nothing about.

"When we head in the direction of banned books or book lists, or selective literature– that should only be read inside or outside the classroom, I think that's a very dangerous direction to go," said 7th grade teacher Kelly Bryson.

Oh yeah. Let's read erotic noir to all the first graders:banghead::sarcasm:
[doublepost=1503505673,1503505443][/doublepost]
if my child came home crying and shaking afraid he could possibly turn into a girl, i'd think he was "outraged". just in a different form. children do not process things like adults. As parents, it's our responsibility to stand up for our children. this instance is no different. sure, ok, talk to your kids and let them ask questions. that's all well and good. i would not want anyone else explaining transgenderism to my child besides me. school is the place my child learns academics not about other children's gender situations. Children don't come out of the womb judging others. so it's more likely that they will accept the child as whatever they introduce themselves as, without knowing what kind of genitals they have. i don't need anyone, ESPECIALLY a teacher, confusing my child or introducing him to something he knows absolutely nothing about.

Exactly. Let those kids be kids, man. Quit exposing them to adult situations at such a young aged. My kids aren't even allowed to watch any teenage based shows because I don't like them being exposed prematurely to dating, sex, or HS awkwardness. There's a time for everything.

Even with my liberal heart, I can see you guys point...I just feel like they would've had questions anyway, better to be up front about it.

I do think they'd be likely to accept the child in their midst as long as the adults displayed tolerance.

It sure didn't further their efforts to do this without parents consent or prior knowledge.
[doublepost=1503521060,1503520905][/doublepost]

Exactly. Let those kids be kids, man. Quit exposing them to adult situations at such a young aged. My kids aren't even allowed to watch any teenage based shows because I don't like them being exposed prematurely to dating, sex, or HS awkwardness. There's a time for everything.

<3<3<3

Do liberals have to fuck with everything? Let a kid be a damn kid! If down the road you see there is confusion or a problem... THEN do what you need to do as a parent to explain and help embrace your child's choices. Damn

It's the start of the year, and it is kindergarten, the very beginning of school. The child in question should have just shown up dressed as whatever gender they align with, and the other kids didn't need to know any different at this young age. The adults made this complicated when it didn't need to be.

I don't see the big deal. As I read it, there was a kid in the class who is trans, and the book was given to the teacher by said kid. I appreciate others opinions, and I'm aware mine isn't a popular one, but I wouldn't have cared. I have a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old who's going into first grade. They both know that the world is filled with people who are different then them, and even that there are some girls and some boys who were born in the wrong body. They may not understand that the way we do, but they're certainly not confused about who they are bc of said knowledge. I live in a largely diverse area right outside Philly, and there are bathrooms in their schools that are for anyone, private bathrooms, and girls/boys rooms. I would never tell someone else how to parent or what to teach their child, but I wouldn't have cared or attended that meeting.

i think my point is, is that this is an ADULT situation. my child is completely oblivious that there are people out there that have boy parts but identify as women. i'm sure one day he will question it. but so far, he's been through 7 years of life , and not given one single fuck about the uniqueness of a person. my son will befriend anyone who befriends him. he doesnt say "the transgender girl at school" he just says "my friend". what i'm trying to say is that the idea of this ADULT situation is not even in my kids head to begin with. so why would want anyone putting it there????

The thing is it's not only an ADULT situation. Because let's be honest a kindergartener isn't an ADULT. This is a every age situation because some people know as umyoung as 2 and some don't figure it out til they're in their 50's. It's something that's in the world now just like racism, it's something you need to discuss with your child or it will be brought up somewhere else. That trans child wanted to be accepted but his/her classmates and thought that having the teacher was read a book he/she brought was a good idea. Imagine if your child was trans, you would want them accepted by the class. Parents need to stop sheltering their kids and getting pissed off when the kid sees/hears something diverse in the real world. If my son wants his nails painted best believe I paint them. Today he was running around in his chaps catching bad guys. But I've always told him to be who he wants and accept other as they want to be.

My kids aren't even allowed to watch any teenage based shows because
This is awesome ... so many parents waste their power, forfeit it ... or otherwise just give it away.

My children are in second grade and fifth grade and they are well aware people can be whoever and whatever they want to be. A boy, girl, cat, lizard, they seriously give no shits. But at 5 years old in kindergarten they could not have wrapped their brains around that. My son was waiting for his sister to turn into a boy until he was six even though I kept telling him she won't. The trans Kindergartener could've just went to school the way she felt comfortable without a whole big show.

The trans Kindergartener could've just went to school the way she felt comfortable without a whole big show.

I think the thing here is not the kid, but that the kid's parents and the teacher wanted to make this a big old spectacle so they can seem progessive and more virtuous than everyone else. And of course it backfired. I don't believe for a second this was all the child's idea.

When I was a kid, if something was up with another kid socially, the school would just sent a simple note to the parents. Inform them. And it would it let it go and teach, because a school is for education and not for virtue signalling. If you don't make a big deal out of things, kids won't either.

The thing is it's not only an ADULT situation. Because let's be honest a kindergartener isn't an ADULT. This is a every age situation because some people know as umyoung as 2 and some don't figure it out til they're in their 50's. It's something that's in the world now just like racism, it's something you need to discuss with your child or it will be brought up somewhere else. That trans child wanted to be accepted but his/her classmates and thought that having the teacher was read a book he/she brought was a good idea. Imagine if your child was trans, you would want them accepted by the class. Parents need to stop sheltering their kids and getting pissed off when the kid sees/hears something diverse in the real world. If my son wants his nails painted best believe I paint them. Today he was running around in his chaps catching bad guys. But I've always told him to be who he wants and accept other as they want to be.
i think you put it well when you mentioned how yr son can want painted nails one day and cowboy chaps the next. but to me, that illustrates how FLEETING and uninformed a childs whims would be. sure they are dipping their toes into adult themed situations...but that doesnt mean we lock them into a damaging stereotype for life, throw out all their 'non progressive' clothing and start bringing discussions into the playroom about how wonderful and liberal that child and family is just because johnny likes the color purple. just another situation where just because we CAN do something, doesnt mean we SHOULD. and if you think the other kids were upset when they went home crying, unsure of their own gender after this topic was pushed on them... and if its so good to talk to children as you would talk to an adult about such complex emotional and polarizing topics such as artificial gender control, then fine. show them an average gender reassignment surgery, THEN let them decide!
[doublepost=1506988179,1506986854][/doublepost]
My son is 9 and he knows that people come in all different facets. He knows that sometimes people are born in the wrong body and he gives no fucks. He knows that some people like the same sex and he gives no fucks. Lydia dates a dude off and on that wears women's clothes and he gives no fucks. Why? Because there has never been any stigma attached to it in our house. Know what does worry him? Cruelty. Ugliness. Hate. Animal abuse. War. Children are not born hating someone because of their humanity, they learn that from the asshole adults in their lives.
well said. my thing is, how do we know when our children are transgender as opposed to just being a curious boundary exploring kid? how do we know that these kids arent being taught transsexuality from the adults in their lives too? i think, being in my mid 30s and having lived through the 90s wave of 'different (especially in terms of sexuality) is good' that actually never seemed to end in my opinion, it would be very likely that any kid in current times would look to transsexuality as a way of being an individual, gaining mass acceptance, and even emulating older siblings or family members of alternate sexualities. how do parents know those reasons would not be behind their childs 'decisions'? and how many times do we push our children into these lifestyles because *we* want to be accepted and supported and unique? just curious. because usually if a kid wants frosting for dinner, we would recognize that as a bad idea, no matter how sure the kid was, know what i mean?

Last edited:
Back