• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
WildCare Oklahoma staff members are caring for a skunk they received Wednesday from Oklahoma City Animal Welfare

Witnesses reported that the skunk had been trapped and then set on fire. According to OKC Animal Welfare officials, witnesses said one person was seen pouring lighter fluid on the skunk before lighting it on fire. Officials said they are in the process of the investigation and have not been able to make contact with the person involved. The incident was reported on Lyrewood Ln. in northwest Oklahoma City.

WildCare officials took the skunk in and said she is critical condition. They said the skunk has a long road ahead of her, at least several months of treatment. She is receiving pain medication, wound treatment, and loving care from staff.

Animal welfare officers are looking into the incident.
skunk1-1506108612.jpg

http://www.koco.com/article/wildcare-oklahoma-rescues-skunk-found-trapped-set-on-fire/12454233

Last edited:
Ughgggghhh!! Poor little Flower! I love the little skunks around my house. I don't feed them and I make sure they don't have nesting places under my deck, but my house backs up to woods and they come around often. In the evening they bumble* their way around my flower beds, sniffing and listening for tasty grubs.

* @Alf you are spot on with 'bumble'! Skunks have this cute little shy waddle and their eyesight is terrible, so they bumble around the grass as best they can.

I was fishing one night when I heard this little "thipthipthip" off to my right. I looked down, and there was a striped skunk almost within arm's reach drinking from the river. I watched it drinking, and when it was done it lifted its head and looked at me then waddled away to do the rest of its evening.

--Al

A second consideration came to mind. I wonder if this trap was a live-catch, or a leg hold. Leg hold traps are regulated in some areas, which would be an additional charge. Most of all, I wonder if this is the first time, or if he has a history of trapping animals to torture.
[doublepost=1506266575,1506265922][/doublepost]And on the lighter side:

Channeling my inner JackBurton here

How much money are they going to spend to keep a stupid wild skunk alive? Why bother. Put it down and spend the money on worthwhile causes instead.

What are they going to do the first time this skunk sprays? Remove it's sprayers? Sounds cruel to me.

Flower is no longer in pain.
"Her death was caused by acute kidney failure, a common complication of severe burns. The mechanism of kidney failure in burn victims is from two main causes," WildCare Oklahoma announced on Facebook. "Firstly, the damaged skin and muscles release large quantities of protein and toxins that overwhelm the kidneys' filtration system.

"Secondly, the shock of burning causes a lack of blood flow to the kidneys, which are very sensitive and easily damaged by this temporary lack of oxygen. Despite aggressive IV fluid therapy and medications to counter this, the damage was too severe and her body was unable to produce any urine.

"We are sorry skunk that you suffered so much at the hands of a human, but are relieved that you are no longer in any pain."

This is an update to the link Sugar Cookie posted.

A tip of the ball cap to Kittyskyfish for the name.

--Al

Back