• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Prettypink513

Church Member
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ty-man-shot-and-killed-police-deaf/688213001/

This story is so fucked up. My question is why did the cop have to shoot him. I guess you don't bring a pipe to a gun fight :(

"Magdiel Sanchez, 35, wasn't obeying the officers' commands before one shot him with a gun and the other with a Taser on Tuesday night, police Capt. Bo Mathews said at a news conference. He said witnesses were yelling "he can't hear you" before the officers fired, but they didn't hear them."

"Sanchez, who had no apparent criminal history, died at the scene."

"Mathews said the officers were investigating a reported hit-and-run at around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. He said a witness told Lt. Matthew Lindsey the address where the vehicle responsible for the hit-and-run had gone, and that Sanchez was on the porch when Lindsey arrived."

"He said Sanchez was holding a metal pipe that was approximately 2 feet long and that had a leather loop on one end for wrapping around one's wrist. Lindsey called for backup and Barnes arrived, at which point Sanchez left the porch and began to approach the officers, Mathews said.

Witnesses could hear the officers giving Sanchez commands, but the officers didn't hear the witnesses yelling that Sanchez couldn't hear them, Mathews said. When he was about 15 feet away from the officers, they opened fire — Lindsey with his Taser and Barnes with his gun, apparently simultaneously, Mathews said"

""He always had a stick that he would walk around with, because there's a lot of stray dogs," Guebara said.

Guebara said Sanchez, whose name she didn't know, wrote notes to communicate with her and her husband when he would occasionally stop and visit if they were outside.

Police initially said Sanchez was carrying a stick, but Mathews described it Wednesday as a metal pipe."

More at the link :(

The driver was the guy's father. He admitted to it. Too bad his son had to die over his fuckery

Oh ... and now suddenly I don't care. I guess he should have signed ... hello! And I'm sure he could have read lips and was probably with it enough to read the officers faces ... cause they do have a drop the weapon get on the ground face.

Shittiest policing possible.

There seems to be a race to the bottom among some of these departments. Like the one here that shot into a car of teens fleeing a house party or the one that shot the therapist who was laying the street trying to calm his patient or I could just go on and on. Whatever training they're getting is not sufficient and drills need to be frequent and intense to match what they might possibly face on the job. There also needs to be more real accountability with input from the citizens who pay for LE.

I don't give a shit whether he is deaf or not, if he could see a cop pointing a gun at him that is a well known international sign language that means "drop whatever the fuck is in you hands and get on the god damn ground!".

As for the shooting, he was approaching the officer with a fucking 2 foot metal pipe in his hands and refusing to use common sense and drop the damn thing and got within 15 feet of them. I'm not saying the police couldn't have done it differently (they very well could have), but much of the responsibility for this shooting goes to the motherfucking father who committed that hit and run felony that bought the police and Magdiel himself for threatening police officers who came to arrest his piece of shit father.

Last edited:
Holy shit what a dumbfuck.

What's that stat, 95% of communication is non-verbal, body language and facial expressions and the like. Officers approaching you looking angry and on edge while holding guns should be a good clue for you to put your pipe down, drop to the ground and submit totally.

Lindsey with his Taser and Barnes with his gun, apparently simultaneously, Mathews said"

Pretty clear who the good cop is in this scenario. Holy shit what a dumbfuck, putting everyones lives in danger like that. What if the guy was on drugs, taser wouldnt have done shit!!!

With a low life dad and knowing enough about a pipe to hit dogs with umm
I dislike story's like this because to much is left out
But come folks he had some common sence
The cops could done it differently but who's to know this kid wasn't on Crank or crack or high as fuck
Just because he is deaf doesn't mean he is innocent how many retards we see molesting kids ?? Because someone took advantage of them and their handicaps
So just reading so far he should been shot with Bean bag bullets or knees not dead !!
But shot yes just not dead

.... he should been shot [in the] knees not dead !!
I don't mean this as a personal attack, but statements like this are made by people whose only experience with firearms in a dynamic situation is from John Woo and Rob Cohen films, which are basically fantasy. I am one a very good shot, very good. Almost all my combat/law enforcement classes I was in I was the best shooter and the weren't small classes either. During periodic re-quals on the firing range, it was a rare event if I didn't score 98% or higher. Even for me, shooting a moving knee size target before that person got into range to stab or bludgeon me to death is almost impossible, for telling 90% of other people to do this is asking them to die.

Last edited:
http://fox13now.com/2017/09/24/utah...aining-after-oklahoma-officer-kills-deaf-man/
SALT LAKE CITY — The fatal shooting of a deaf man by an Oklahoma City police officer is raising concerns about law enforcement training in Utah. Members of the state’s deaf community say more training is needed because police officers often do not know how to communicate with hearing impaired suspects and witnesses.

On September 19, Oklahoma City police officers were investigating a hit and run accident when they confronted a man on his front porch with a metal pipe. Despite screams from neighbors that the man was deaf, one police officer pulled out a taser and another officer pulled out a gun, then shot and killed 35-year-old Madgiel Sanchez.

“Many police officers are not trained with someone who is deaf or hard of hearing,”said Jared Allebest, a hearing impaired attorney who represents deaf clients. “Because of the lack of communications, bad things happen.”

Allebest would like to meet with all Utah law enforcement agencies to set up training and create a dialogue with the deaf community.

“If there’s a working relationship with the deaf community, then police officers will begin to understand how deaf people communicate, how they behave and how they interact," Allebest said.

For example, if a police officer shines a light in a deaf person’s face then the person cannot read the officer’s lips or understand any commands.
Lt. Brian Lohrke of the Unified Police Department says his agency works with people with many languages and abilities. He says training would be helpful so they can better serve the hearing impaired.

“We try to accommodate as best we can, but it would be good to have more tools to work with the deaf population,” said Lohrke.

Dec. 8, 2017
An Oklahoma prosecutor announced Friday he will not file criminal charges against a police officer in the September shooting death of a deaf man who was not following officer commands.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said his investigation determined the Sept. 19 shooting death of Magdiel Sanchez outside his south Oklahoma City home was justified. After reviewing evidence, Prater said, the shooting was “lawful, reasonable and not excessive.”

Both officers who responded tried to render aid immediately after the shooting, Prater said.

Police have said officers who responded to a hit-and-run crash encountered Sanchez holding a metal pipe. An autopsy report shows Sanchez was hit with a stun gun and shot five times in the chest, pelvis and upper arm.

According to police, witnesses yelled “he can’t hear you” before the officers fired, but they didn’t hear them.

Family members of Sanchez had called for Barnes’ arrest and for state and federal investigations into the matter.

Sanchez’s family has said he was completely deaf, developmentally disabled, and that he used the pipe as a walking stick. The autopsy found no drugs or alcohol in Sanchez’s system.

Back