• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Sheldon's lawyers say the Vermont dad used $250,000 of the settlement to create a trust for Dezirae's half-sister.

That really was very nice of him, he did not have to do that, he might have been the only decent person in this whole story.

When will the child welfare system realize that reunification is not always the answer. The safety of the child should be put before the parental rights of individuals who have demonstrated an inability and unwillingness to care and protect their children. I am sick and tired of children being abused and killed by paramours, step parents and the biological parents.

That poor poor child. Is he saying he kick out her feet and she fell back? That makes no sense. When my kids were infants I was terrified of crushing them. Like falling on them. Couldn't imagine squeezing a toddler.

Yes
I'v been following this story, its unbelievable how so many people failed this little girl. but I think what makes this one different ,is she had some one who cared about her, the moms sister tried advocating for her but nobody listened. she fought so hard to try to keep that baby safe.she has a facebook page Justice for Dezirae. It's a sad story all the way around. rip baby girl

Yes your right
It took me awhile to post on this story.
Now I know what I wanted to say
I wish everyone who bashs CPS DCPS
can read this story
They all hate Child protective servises and say kids belong with family etc
This is the reason we have them
Many many bash them
Well hell they are damned if they do and damned if they don't
Now I don't know the law in this state
An Ex Parte maybe could have helped ?

Many many family members can't get that child in their safe care .because of certain laws
But it the worker was informed ahead of time
And did not ck or have concern well srcew her she is guilty.
If the family was living close to that lil girl and had doubts ,,why did they do more ??

Now to me this is hard to find anyone not guilty ..

And again there is that blank look in that pic
It tells with so much but words are not powerfull enough to explain the pain fear.
sad lost soul

Here is a little more information in the case if any new members are interested in what happened to little Dezirae was failed by so many people.

UTLAND, Vt. (AP) — A Vermont man charged with killing his 2-year-old stepdaughter in a case that led to changes in the state's child protection laws has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Dennis Duby originally pleaded not guilty in the death of Dezirae Sheldon. Prosecutors say Duby was the only adult home in February 2014 when the girl suffered severe head trauma.

In court Monday, Duby said he was tired and frustrated when he kicked Dezirae's feet out from under her, causing her to hit her head. He said he didn't mean to cause the injuries that led to her death.

Duby's plea deal calls for him to serve 13 years in prison.

ttps://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/vermont/articles/2017-05-02/man-charged-in-2-year-old-stepdaughters-death-pleads-guilty

Willis Sheldon said he will not keep any of the $ 500,000 the state was ordered to pay him for the death of his daughter.

Costello said $500,000 was the highest allowable award in such a case under state law, and that Dezirae’s mother, Sandra Eastman, waived any claim in the case.

Sheldon said he is putting half the money in a trust for Dezirae’s half-sister, Destinay Brown — who is not Sheldon’s child — and is looking for a use for the other half.

“Dezirae and Destinay were really close

1p2.jpg

Dezirae Sheldon

as sisters,” he said. “Just something about her and Dezirae, they were too alike. I don’t know how to say it or put in into words, but you could tell there was a bond between those two. … I just figured, since she loved Dezirae so much, Dezirae could so something for her bigger sister.”

http://www.rutlandherald.com/articles/dezirae-death-suit-settled-for-500000/

I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS!!!! Where is this kid she fathered with the 15 year old? It wouldn't have been the 1 month old, because that baby was too young. Did she abort it? How is there just one kid not accounted for? Why didn't the father fight for custody? Did she get nothing for violating the order? Or was the order just on him? I've been following this one, and these questions never get answered.

Nov 09, 2018
Her murder sparked outcry and changes at the Department for Children and Families. But a lawsuit from the case will not be moving forward.

Dezirae Sheldon, 2, was killed by her stepfather Dennis Duby in 2014. He was convicted last year.

When she died, Dezirae was under the supervision of DCF following abuse allegations against her mother and Duby. The murder raised questions about an independent contractor who worked for DCF. The girl's father says the contractor didn't do enough to report the alleged abuse. And the girl's father, Willis Sheldon, sued.

But the court says the claim made by the mother was not new and she had already made it to a DCF investigator, so the independent reviewer had no new obligation to report it.

Willis Sheldon received $500,000 in a settlement with the state. The state did not admit any wrongdoing.

Wow this story is so f’d I can’t keep it straight. I stopped at

How do you do that, in all conscience, how can you clamp your hands around a 2 year old's head until her skull pops? There is no redemption for someone like that.
That’s all I need to know. That’s not a whoopsie lost my temper act (those aren’t okay, but...) that requires some deliberate prolonged actions. F’ing sick. I was terrified of acadentally crushing my kids when they were little babies. Can’t imagine doing that intentionally to a toddler, who can semi talk and cry and beg for you to stop...

I know this thread is really old but she got pregnant by her friend's son. It wasn't her son. Just in case anyone wanted to know lol

Back