• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
LAYTON, UT — A Subway employee is in some hot water after investigators say he deliberately put meth and THC into a police sergeant’s drink, causing the man to be hospitalized.

The incident happened on Monday when the uniformed sergeant went through the drive-thru of the Subway located at 1142 E. state Route 193. After drinking some of the lemonade he had ordered, the officer noted that it “tasted funny.”

“While approaching an intersection that had a red light, he had difficulty getting his foot to move to the brake pedal. (He) drove to the Layton Police Department, where he was observed to have signs of impairment. He was unable to process information and drifted off, and was unable to focus on questions being asked of him,” according to a Davis County Jail report.

The officer was taken to the hospital where it was apparent he was under the influence of some kind of drug. An ion scanner test found that traces of meth and THC were in a sample of officer’s drink. A separate test also tested positive for narcotics.

Police returned to the Subway and obtained video surveillance of the officer’s transaction. In the video, 18-year-old Subway employee, Tanis Ukena, can be seen filling the drink portion of the officer’s order at the drive-up fountain area.

“The suspect left the sergeant’s drink on the counter and left the picture frame. In the video you can see him returning with something in his hand and then leaning over the sergeant’s drink for an unusual amount of time. The suspect then provided the sergeant with the drink,” said Sgt. Clint Bobrowski.

Ukena admitted serving the drink to the sergeant, but denied putting anything in it. The surveillance footage must be compelling evidence to the teen’s guilt, as he was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of surreptitious administration of a substance, a second-degree felony.

Subway released the following statement about the incident:

“We are shocked by these charges. Our thoughts are with the Sergeant and his family and we are hoping for a quick recovery. The restaurant owners are working closely with the police in their investigation and will take appropriate action. As this is still an active police investigation, we cannot provide any further information and must refer further questions to the police.”

Bobrowski said this incident should not taint anyone’s views of the Subway location itself.

“We’ve been grateful for the owners and the managers of the Subway restaurant,” he said. “In no way is this a reflection on the ownership of the restaurant. They’ve been fully cooperative with our police department. We don’t have any fears for the safety of the public. They’ve been great dealing with us, and we would definitely encourage people that eat there to continue to do so.”

If I were a cop in uniform, I wouldn’t be able to eat at any restaurant where I couldn’t see my food being prepared. Ever. When I was a teen, I knew two guys who routinely spit their dip spit into a big vat of pizza sauce used at the pizza buffet they worked at — especially if police were dining in the restaurant.

Side note: I NEVER spell restaurant correctly on my first attempt.

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

Continue reading...

Will he be charged with a felony? I hope so, he knew he might likely kill this cop that would be driving a car impaired because he just poisoned him. At some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions, this was not a funny prank.

It's not like he put pepper or spit in the drink. The fact he used his own meth and THC to poison the officer does not suggest he's a misunderstood, goofy teen.

That kid looks so stupid you I wanna see if I can beat the stupid out of him. With a ballbat...

That's one thing I never wanted to be responsible for- giving any drugs to someone who wasn't already a louse like I was- I couldn't bring anyone into that world. Hang out- drink some beer- burn one- but intentionally season a person. No way.

Last edited:
Um I have a question
Was it the meth or the pot that impaired the cop? Cuz
“While approaching an intersection that had a red light, he had difficulty getting his foot to move to the brake pedal. (He) drove to the Layton Police Department, where he was observed to have signs of impairment. He was unable to process information and drifted off, and was unable to focus on questions being asked of him,” according to a Davis County Jail report.
Makes it sound like pot.
I dunno about the meth... don't know much about it.
But how did this asshole get THC to dissolve in his drink? Makes it sound like he had a THC drink and added it to the drink maybe.
http://www.drinkcannacola.com
THC is not water soluable so it would have had to be already be in liquid form. I want to know more. I have questions

THC is not water soluable so it would have had to be already be in liquid form. I want to know more. I have questions
Makes me think the kid had this 'solution' all ready to go for the occassion- maybe the cop is a regular at the store & the kid had a grudge, either against this cop or just cops in general? Either way it seems premeditated.

Also what did the kid think the outcome would be? Oh ha ha you pranked me!? He's lucky he's not facing a murder charge!

Oh, I couldn't agree more; if a person puts anything into another's drink that impairs his ability to drive safely, he should be held accountable -- no argument there. :meh:

A couple things, though:
A cop ordered a drink through the drive-thru. So sure, the camera's going to show you made the drink and handed it to the officer. How would a camera not show him putting it in his drink? The only thing they "caught" him doing was making the drink; why would he add something to it right there where the cop was driving up to, and he obviously knew there were cameras and where they were... so -- I don't see the proof it was him. He made the drink, sure; it was his job. :grumpy:

I'm sorry, but cops lie. A lot. :spy:

How do we know that this cop wasn't already impaired, feared he'd be caught, and put the stuff in himself? I'm sorry, but again, just because he's a cop doesn't mean he's an honest one. When he obviously couldn't drive properly (and that doesn't sound like meth... perhaps pot, depending on the grade, but I've never seen anyone so high they couldn't speak coherently or operate a vehicle -- makes no sense.) :shrug:

And if there was meth put into his drink, it would've tasted more than "a little funny." It would've taken one sip to know that whatever's in that is vile, so bad that he wouldn't have taken a second sip. And that's just -- even residue will make it taste horrible -- enough to impair someone? They wouldn't be able to drink it and would not describe it as tasting "funny" but more like "The worst taste EVER, I couldn't even swallow it." If he described that lemonade as "tasting funny" I can guarantee you: It wasn't meth he was tasting. :yuck:

So they tested this drink and first time around they found methamphetamine and THC. Very strange things to put into an officer's drink, but okay. But it says they tested it yet again and also found narcotics. Since neither THC nor meth is a narcotic, what kind of test were they giving that drink? Obviously a flawed one, or is it now going to be claimed that this kid brought all three drugs to work just waiting for the cop to drive up? He planned that ahead, but made the drop where he knew the cameras could catch him? I don't believe that. :shifty:

I think this cop needed a scapegoat; he'd taken too much of whatever -- could be any of three things (covers a LOT: Narcotics, THC, Meth) He knew he'd be screened for drugs, so why not drop whatever would be found in his system into his drink? His ass would be covered, which would be preferable to being caught unable to even maintain his vehicle. :angelic:

So he gets his lemonade, and the article states that when he approached a red light, he was unable to "move his foot to the brake pedal." :rolleyes: Which means: He didn't stop at the red light. Come on, if I went through a red light, would they put it like that? And show me a "narcotic" that's going to put someone out that fast -- from the Subway to the "nearby intersection." Really? That's the fastest acting narcotic I've EVER seen. The fact that he was "nodding out" pretty much convinces me it wasn't meth... sounds good I know, but you do NOT nod out on meth, nor do you drink anything laced with it -- you just don't. As far as the THC goes, I simply don't believe that kid found a way to liquify it so that it wouldn't be seen (remember, this was lemonade.) Why would he go through all that trouble just to give a cop a pot high? Again, it just doesn't ring true. My money's on an opiate addiction, maybe something like Dilaudid or something similarly strong -- methadone or maybe roxies... some kind of opiate, anyway. Getting the nods is pretty much an opiate/narcotic thing. Which is why the tester-of-the-drink didn't say "narcotics" after the first test (it wasn't there.) After learning the symptoms displayed by this cop, he added "Narcotics." Because that would cover his bizarre inability to stop at a red light, answer a simple question, or even stay awake. He was TOASTED. And he didn't get that way in five minutes from some magic formula the Subway guy concocted. o_O

When questioned about why he "could move his foot to the brake pedal" (lol seriously?) Anyway, when questioned as to why HE DIDN'T STOP, they said he was "obviously impaired and drifting off, unable to focus." Show me a drug that does that in what, five minutes? Seriously, ever taken a narcotic that renders you unable to stop at a light or stay awake when being questioned by cops AFTER A FEW MINUTES? Me neither. :confused:

And you know what they would've said if it were me or you that was stopped because OUR foot wouldn't move to the brake pedal, and WE were too disoriented to "focus" or even stay awake? They tell us they were taking our ass to jail, that's what they'd tell us. "B-b-but the Subway kid must've...." "Yeah, sure.... You can't even hold your eyes open, and that's from a drink you bought at Subway just now?" And true to their word, our asses would've been in jail before we even got the words out! This is so typical, it pisses me off. Yeah, I wasn't there and I can't say for sure, but that's what my gut is telling me, and I'll bet it's right. :finger:

The whole story is ludicrous. Slipping THC into lemonade. Oh and meth, which DIDN'T happen. No. Then the drink examiner adds "narcotics" to the mix... still no. I think he added that because the meth isn't going to make you "nod out" -- no way, and THC isn't easily slipped into a drink. Maybe "narcotics" is exactly what caused this behavior, but he didn't get them from the Subway guy; those wouldn't have had time to work, and they'd have to be very strong to cause him to not even be able to focus or maintain consciousness! So they thought: "Narcotics" covers a lot of nodding-out stuff!
But not in less than 20 minutes, and it takes a good bit of anything to actually render you that incapable. Can't use his brakes... unless the kid also slipped a needle in that arm, no way did narcotics kick in fast enough to cause that. Besides, you'd have to put in so many, wouldn't that, too, have tasted more than "kinda funny?" o_O

:stop: None of that makes any sense! :stop:

I'm calling bullshit on his whole story, because that's what this sounds like, a not-so-well connived story. About a cop who found himself in deep shit because he was high and ran through a light. Whether he just kept his drug of choice on him or kept this particular concoction handy (like an extra gun to place on an "armed and dangerous" citizen.) He drops it into his drink and says, "Subway dude must've done it." And cops aren't known for protecting citizens accused of hurting other cops, right? They're known for covering the asses of each other, right or wrong. :cheers:

That kid probably did nothing at all. I see every single sign of a cover-up and a scapegoat situation involving a cop who feels entitled to break the rules he's paid to enforce, then blaming someone's kid on it like a bitch. :mad:
No offense to any LE here, but NO WAY this happened like they're saying it did. That kid's screwed, because in a case of a cop being "poisoned" or whatever? He'd have to prove he was innocent -- all they have to do is tell what they think happened. You know who's gonna win here. I hope to God he's got some decent counsel, he's gonna need it. :(

***Apologies for length of post (I tried to divert your attention by carefully placed smilies, haha!) But there were a lot of points to be made; I tried to cut out words here and there, but added a couple paragraphs, so yeah.... you're welcome? :sorry:

Last edited:
Seriously, ever taken a narcotic that renders you unable to stop at a light or stay awake when being questioned by cops AFTER A FEW MINUTES?

But wouldn't that just depend on the dose, and whether someone has used before? I've never used drugs so I have no idea how fast they kick in. Maybe the cop just had a low tolerance and a bad reaction? I mean, I'm a super light-weight when it comes to alcohol and I tend to fall asleep after even one wine, so it doesn't sound that odd to me. But I could be wrong.

But wouldn't that just depend on the dose, and whether someone has used before? I've never used drugs so I have no idea how fast they kick in. Maybe the cop just had a low tolerance and a bad reaction? I mean, I'm a super light-weight when it comes to alcohol and I tend to fall asleep after even one wine, so it doesn't sound that odd to me. But I could be wrong.

MJ doesn't affect coordination like alcohol does but I've never had liquid THC. My biggest problem was forgetting where the hell I was going.

To be fair, everyone's metabolism is different, and I can't with any surety say "No way he felt a narcotic in five minutes."

But I know drugs, known a great many people who did a great many of them (as did I, back in the day) and I have never in my life (and I'm 51 now) seen a pill begin to work in less than 15 minutes....(Let alone a part of one; if it's dissolved, he didn't get the whole pill; he took the remainder of the drink for testing) -- never in my life heard of one kicking in less than 10 or 15 minutes. For me, most take about 25-30, although some with longer half-lives (methadone) take 45 minutes for me to feel, and about two hours to "peak" as far as nodding goes (when I think of the nods, I think methadone or a benzo like Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium.) I'm sure hydrocodone or any other lesser-potent painkillers would give some people a nod, but that quickly? Never heard of anything like that in my life.

Say he put -- okay say he went for it, and put a Roxicet (Oxycodone 30mg) into that lemonade. I doubt very seriously he'd choose that, as it's expensive; not likely easily affordable by a sandwich maker. But say he splurged. If that 30mg pill (they're tiny, by the way) if it dissolved in, say 16oz of lemonade -- how much is that cop going to even GET before reaching the red light?

Sure, he could've drained that lemonade so fast.... every drop, before leaving the parking lot. It's possible.
But that's not what happened. He himself said it "tasted funny" (not "bitter" like a Roxicet or -- god so many other narcotics, but okay, "funny") so they took the drink in to be tested. That tells us he hadn't drank it all or they'd have nothing to test. And by his account, it didn't taste right, and no cop is going to finish something that "doesn't taste right" -- they know to look out for that kind of thing.
So I'm saying he may have gotten a couple, three good gulps? And I'm being kind here -- if I were a cop and my drink tasted weird? No way am I touching that for three big gulps, that's unlikely as hell, but again, granting all the leeway I can. How much of that tablet could he have swallowed and digested anyway? If he drank even 1/10 of the drink, it's reasonable to assume he got 1/10 of the pill, which even if it was a fancy Roxicet, that's just 3 milligrams of oxycodone; that's not gonna do jack. It's not. It's not gonna render him unable to get to the brake pedal, nod out, become disoriented, unable to focus.... Twice that -- 6 mgs; not gonna do that, either.

Again, I do see your point, and it's a valid one. There is no chance I can be certain that whatever was wrong with that cop wasn't the fault of the Subway guy. That somehow, the drink-maker was able to concoct something that would absolutely render the cop unable to so much as stop at the "nearby" red light or speak coherently or stay awake. I honestly have no idea what that would be... but I can't say it's impossible; I learned right here on the Demon that nothing's impossible!

For me, though, there are too many "Is that reasonable?" "No, it's not" - type questions here. I'm bothered they brought up the meth because (1) It couldn't have been drank, no way, and (2) The tiniest bit of meth won't exactly make you spun, but you're not gonna be doing any nodding, either, and (3) Cops do kind of overdo the whole meth thing -- dude got arrested and detained last week because a cop thought he saw a baggie of meth in his front seat. Turned out to be glaze from a Krispy Kreme Donut. What I'm saying is: Meth is a horrible drug, and everyone knows it. Crying "meth" is going to make people more sympathetic to his plight -- ("ZOMG they gave him meth!") Haha -- oh come ON! Must've been some different kind of meth to make him NOD OFF, I've seen some meth in my day but never ever EVER seen anyone nod off on it. I think that was an absolute lie, and backed up by whoever "tested" the drink -- If what this article says is really what was reported? They're lying.

I'm sure there are drops or something to utilize THC when needed in that form (Actually I'm NOT "sure" -- I just don't know; never heard of it.) But so the cop smokes a little weed off duty, very seldom, once every two weeks, say. It stays in the system for up to 30 days depending on fat cells and metabolism, so he was gonna need to explain why he came up positive for THC when tested. "It was the Subway guy! He slipped some THC in my lemonade!" Sorry but no, that's not how pot works. There's so much wrong with the whole THC story that I firmly believe he was covering for the inevitable positive drug test he was about to undergo. So what if he couldn't explain how the kid did it, it sure beat being a "cop under the influence of drugs" rap. (It wouldn't work that way for me or for you, but for a cop? Pfffft, a cake walk.)

Again, the narcotics weren't found when they originally tested the drink. I believe they were "found" when it was obvious that his behavior was not caused by THC or meth. Better add something that'll cover confusion, nodding out, inability to focus, inability to stop your car, for God's sake.... what category covers every drug capable of that? "Narcotics." I'm surprised they didn't try to make it more believable (take off the meth, put in opiates, etc.) But to me, it's very clear what happened here, and it's the same thing that happens in small rooms in police stations all over the country: understandings are reached, problems are solved, and life goes on. The Subway guy? Collateral damage. He's not the first nor will he be the last.

There are exceptions to every rule, and I understand that and absolutely believe there are brave, honest, good men out there with all the valor, dedication, and determination to serve his community by being an officer of the law. Who withholds that law at all costs, and who makes sound decisions regarding his state of mind both on and off the job. I'm sure of it. But I'm equally sure that there are cops who couldn't care less what happens to Subway guy. Their egos have overtaken their better judgement, and the results are pretty unfortunate (not for them, for non-cops.) Not politically correct to say I'm sure, but no one can convince me otherwise, I know too many of them.

Thanks for replying; I wish I had your optimism (or at least hope?) that an innocent kid isn't sitting in jail, the reality of his (hopeless, essentially) situation sinking in; charges of assaulting an officer looming over him..... all because he poured the guy a lemonade. I hope that's not what's happening, I cannot imagine the fear, the confusion, and the clouds clearing and the realization that you're absolutely, severely, and completely... fucked. Ask Michael Crowe, ask Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, Jessie Misskelley, Timothy Masters... they could tell you how that feels. I cannot imagine it, but I know it's gotta be a waking nightmare.

There are so many red flags here it's like a parade. The courts usually side with LE, the judges do, too -- what chance does he have if they're wrong? I want him to get a fair chance, that's all. I want them to prove he did anything... ANYTHING...wrong that day. They don't have to blame the cop, but the burden of proof is theirs, and I hope they're made to carry that burden without favoritism (as IF!) But I predict: (a) He's found guilty, and (b) They didn't prove shit.

And the band will play on.

MJ doesn't affect coordination like alcohol does but I've never had liquid THC. My biggest problem was forgetting where the hell I was going.

Well Amen! :happy:

I wasn't used to the loud or anything -- in my day it just wasn't that intense. I was like three streets away from home, pulled out of the driveway and.... :cool:
Not a clue. :shrug:
I think I'd remember which way to go, but I'd forget so fast, it just didn't matter. :banghead:
Glad to know it wasn't just me!;)
Good times? :woot:

//Sorry, I just discovered smilies... these are just the shit...

@TaupinJohn

Thanks for elaborating! Like I said, I honestly have no idea how fast drugs work, but you have some very good points about how much the cop could have possibly been able to ingest, and it doesn't sound like a lot.

This is a weird story. I guess I've heard so many stories of people putting nasty stuff in food and drinks that I didn't question it, but I agree with you that there are some red flags here.

Subway shop where a worker was cleared of drugging a Utah police officer's drink filed a lawsuit Wednesday saying police waited two months to publicly recant the headline-making allegations despite internal evidence the officer had no drugs in his system.

The Subway shop owners said officers in Layton knew within hours that blood and urine tests were negative, but a police spokesman nevertheless continued to cite early tests indicating the possible presence of THC and methamphetamine in the officer's lemonade. Those results were never duplicated.

Layton City Attorney Gary Crane says police only gave information already in public documents. The department had to investigate after the officer returned to the station with serious symptoms, but they couldn't publicly declare the worker innocent until receiving the results of extensive testing from the state crime lab, he said. Officers stressed that the allegations didn't reflect on the store, he said.

Layton police declined to comment.

The story made national headlines and garnered speculation about the worker's motive amid growing animosity and distrust of police around the country in the wake of a number of officer-involved shootings.

The Subway owners say their business dropped 30 percent after a police spokesman told a reporter about the sergeant who reported feeling impaired, having trouble finding the brake pedal and struggling to answer questions after getting the drink in his patrol car on Aug. 8, 2016. He was briefly hospitalized, Crane said.

Several employees also quit after police detectives grilled other workers for hours about the case even though the store cooperated with the investigation, franchise owners Dallas Buttars and Kristin Myers said in the lawsuit. They say the lost business, employee time and stigmatization cost them nearly $300,000.

Buttars and Myers said they asked Layton city officials to publicize the negative test results for weeks before police announced they'd cleared worker Tanis Ukena in October 2016, two months after his arrest.

It's still a mystery what caused the serious symptoms the officer, whose name has not been released, suffered that day, Crane said. The officer remains employed with the department.

Ukena has said he received online death threats and hateful comments that made him afraid to leave his northern Utah home after the case became public. After being cleared, the top student and Eagle Scout who never had been in trouble said he was relieved but disappointed that police didn't apologize.
LINK

Fucking disgusting treatment of the citizenry by this clearly corrupt, abusive, power hungry police dept. What a vile shitshow that dept is. Sickening.

Not sure why the officer hasnt been named. The public has a right to know who is lying and trying to use his position to trample on the rights of citizens he has some form of grudge against.
[doublepost=1502388068,1502387555][/doublepost]
The surveillance footage must be compelling evidence to the teen’s guilt, as he was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of surreptitious administration of a substance, a second-degree felony.

Must have been ole Morb, must have been

I have no problem admitting in this instance it looks as if I was wrong. I'm glad I was wrong. Now they just have to figure just what was that cop's problem that day.

I feel like the employee should be the one suing here. Also, they couldn't say he was innocent until all the testing was done, but he sure as shit could publically say he was guilty? Fuuuuuuck that. Also, all the shit that was said above about drugs not fucking with you that quick. So now he lost his job, sat in jail, has an arrest on his record, and all this other shit that will continue to affect him. Good job Utah police, you bunch of dickheads! Also, the fuck is up with that lab finding drugs that weren't there...shady shady shit.

Yeah... everytime i have a medical issue, i assume someone slipped me some street drugs.

I think the cop needs mental health help.
I have experienced extreme fatigue and feel like you limbs are heavy for the first time it could feel like someone drug you. There are fast acting drugs like the date rape drug.

I have experienced extreme fatigue and feel like you limbs are heavy for the first time it could feel like someone drug you. There are fast acting drugs like the date rape drug.
No drugs were found in the cup though. Also, the hospital did a work up on him, and they aren't saying it was a mistake due to a medical condition. They aren't really saying much of anything but covering their ass. Also, all the drugs that weren't there being found, randomly adding another in later that wasn't there, and so on. They ruined this guys life, at least for a few years, and no one is being held accountable and they aren't changing how they handle things like this. The fact that he went right back to active duty would seem he had no medical issues that would suddenly cause such symptoms.

I also don't get how it's fine for him to keep driving feeling that way. Shouldn't protocol be to pull over and radio in? If any of us did it, I wonder if we would get charged for driving to the police station instead of just pulling over?

Back