• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

EchaSez

Hope is the thing with feathers.
July 26, 2017

dea9vk.jpg
Anthony and Nicholas Aurilia

The 3-year-old twin brothers who tragically drowned in their Long Island pool Wednesdaywere “miracle babies” who came after a long road of troubled pregnancies, a family friend told The Post.

The pool where Anthony and Nicholas Aurilia drowned.Edmund J. Coppa

Eboni Huggins, a close friend to Sue Aurilia — mother of dead twins Anthony and Nicholas — said the fact Aurilia had any children at all is a blessing.

“She has such difficulty with pregnancies so having three of them was just a super blessing, I cannot even believe this is happening to her,” Huggins said by phone.

“She had a bit of a tough time, some women have tough times, so all three of her children are miracle children.”

Aurilia awoke around 8:30 a.m. and discovered Nicholas floating in the pool at their new four-bedroom home in Melville, where they had just moved to from Queens.

The frantic mother desperately tried to resuscitate him while calling 911 for help. She was unable to find Anthony until first responders came. He was eventually found at the bottom of the pool.

Huggins said the twins always followed each other.

“What one does, the other does.”

http://nypost.com/2017/07/26/twin-boys-who-drowned-in-pool-were-moms-miracle-babies/

Last edited:
how horrible and horribly easily preventable. That is what pool covers are for and every year this happens. beautiful beautiful boys, this is so tragic

1. You woke up at 08:30 when you have 3 kids?

2. Why is there no fence around your pool and why is the water green? It obviously isn't one currently being used due to the algae content.

3. Why did you not have child protective knobs on all of your doors, since you like to sleep in, apparently. Or at least door alarms to let you know if one is opened?

I'm sorry/not sorry. The "miracle" babies could still be alive if a little common sense was applied.

Three-year-old twin boys drowned in their backyard pool Wednesday — after slipping out the back of their Long Island home while their mother was asleep, law enforcement officials said.

The boys’ mother woke up inside the home on Holly Court in Melville and did not see the two toddlers, officials said.

The mother asked her 5-year-old son where the twins were, but he didn’t know, officials said.

When she looked out the window, she saw one of the boys floating in the in-ground pool and pulled the child out and immediately performed CPR as she called 911 on speaker phone at about 8:40 a.m., according to police.

“She relays to the responding officers in the rescue personnel that she’s got another son that she doesn’t know where he is,” Suffolk County Police Department homicide Lt. Kevin Beyrer said at a press conference.

Medics and police officers jumped into the pool — which was “murky” and hard to navigate — and retrieved the other boy from the bottom, officials said.

Both children were rushed in critical condition to Plainview Hospital, where they both died a short time later at different times.

“Everything appears to be an accident,” Beyrer said, adding that the back yard and pool appeared to be up to code.

Officials said it’s unclear how the children got out of the house, where, according to sources, the family had moved in about two months ago.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/26/three-year-old-twins-nearly-drown-in-pool-at-home/

I would have had that pool kid proof before moving in, they were there 2 months and like FO said the water was nasty and should have been drained and it still should have had a cover to keep anyone from falling in

Three yr old's are adventurous little dare devil's. I"m so sorry this happened. They were beautiful little guys. I agree the pool should have been drained and covered before they moved into the home. The pool was too easy to access for these two little boys. RIP Anthony and Nicholas.

I could not imagine this scenario. Circumstances aside I have no doubt this woman feels devastated, she doesn't seem like a reckless irresponsible idiot. I have no idea how long my 4 year old had been getting up and opening baby gates before I caught her. Do have to say that an in ground pool would be no sale for me on a house though...

Even a cheap, temporary fence out of metal fence stakes and chicken wire could have prevented this. I don't understand having a non-fenced pool with three very small children.

Cripes give the colour of that murky mess am half surprised the kids didn't bounce off it.

After all she went thru with those babies.
This happens .Would have thought she would be more ; what's the word :: cautious or protective of them
Was god telling her something when it was difficult to become pregnant?
The pool was number one priority when they moved
She had two months or more to do it
Drain it number one
We all feel for a mother
We can't make these kind of Mistakes with children
This is why ..what a shame
No one needs pain like this But,,,,,! She had a older child she should have known better

So much blame for the mother. It's easy to sit and make arm chair comments if you've never had something like this happen. Drownings are one of the top killers of children. Children have drown in pools filled with adults without an adult noticing. As for pool covers, you aren't actually supposed to have a pool cover on any pool that children use, it will drown them faster.

I give this mother a pass. Nothing was intentional. This was an accident plain and simple.

I'm sure the older members have seen me say this multiple times before but I had something almost identical happen shortly after moving into our new house. Only differences being we had a canal and dock not a pool, mine did it about 7am, only one went into the water(and lived) and I mine were 2&3, not twins.

They went through 2 doors, both locked, and were playing ball in the yard when the ball went into the water. The 2yr old ripped off her diaper and jumped into the canal to get the ball wearing nothing but snow boots. Luckily my neighbors happened to be walking their dogs on the other side of the canal. They thought she could swim so watched her for a minute as she bopped up and down, then she went under and didnt come back up. The lady (whos also a nurse) hopped in and pulled her back up. They rushed her over to their house and sat in the shower with her because the water was ice cold and she'd started turning blue.

I had no clue what happened. The 3yr old ran in and woke me saying the 2yr old was in the water. I ran outside naked, throwing on a house coat as I ran. I searched everywhere and was screaming the 2yr olds name in a hysterical panic. My husband had run out the front and was searching farther down the canal because it's not stagnant water. Just as I was about to hop in the water another neighbor came running over to say she was over at the other neighbors house.

Every external door in our house had 3 locks on it from that day forward. To go out back they had to pass 6 locks.

I cannot even explain what those 15 minutes of panic were like. There was a new article done, it was vague and didnt give any names etc, but it was a reminder to people to make sure to secure their doors, gates etc. My child was the 2nd in a week to nearly drown after sneaking outside.

It's easy to sit and say oh she should have done this or that, but it's unfair to judge another off something that, while preventable, was still an accident.

“Everything appears to be an accident,” Beyrer said, adding that the back yard and pool appeared to be up to code.
If you look at the picture from @Echasez 's link there is a fence around the pool area followed by the 6ft high outer fence that's required.

Back