• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sue sue

Take 6
I remember this every day on the news.
Schorpen became a regular figure on TV after the abduction of 11-year-old Carlie was caught on videotape back in 2004. For days, she pleaded for the safe return of her daughter as law enforcement throughout the state looked for the man in a work uniform seen leading the girl away.

The footage led investigators to Joseph Smith, who later confessed to kidnapping, raping, and murdering Carlie, then leaving her body behind a church. He remains in prison awaiting execution.

“I’d like to know why he chose my daughter and why he had to kill her,” Schorpen said after Smith’s 2005 conviction. “I’m sure she’d let him know that she was only 11 years old. How could he go through with it?”
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/248162815-story
[doublepost=1492043761,1492043697][/doublepost]https://mobile.nytimes.com/2004/02/...ad-mechanic-with-criminal-record-charged.html
[doublepost=1492043812][/doublepost]http://staugustine.com/stories/111005/sta_3446716.shtml#.WO7ICoFMGEc
[doublepost=1492043958][/doublepost]

CQeD9AB.jpg

In 2004, Susan Schorpen was at the center of a Tampa Bay area tragedy when her daughter Carlie Brucia was kidnapped and then killed.

Brucia was abducted while walking home and the abduction was caught on security camera video from a nearby car wash in Sarasota.

Now, Schorpen is at the center of another national story.

On April 10th, Schorpen was found dead in Polk County from a heroin overdose.

“Susan went downhill after the death of her daughter,” said Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

Judd held up Schorpen’s photo as he talked about the increasing number of overdose deaths in the county.

“These people are users of illegal drugs and they are victims,” said Judd.

In 2016, five people died from heroin overdose deaths. Already in 2017, that number has risen to eight.

Judd believes it’s a national epidemic.

“This is real, people are dying. It’s not low level, non-violent drugs,” said Judd.

During a three month investigation with Lakeland Police officers, 17 people were arrested in Polk County for trafficking heroin.

Detectives seized more than 600 grams of heroin and confiscated $23,000 in cash.

Judd believes the 17 people arrested are directly responsible for four of the eight heroin overdose deaths in the county and possibly more.

Judd said the traffickers are getting their drugs from Mexico, where the heroin is combined with the powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl.

Judd said the backroom chemists who are combining the heroin and fentanyl often mix in more of the synthetic opioid than they should, resulting in the overdose deaths as the addicts pursue their highs.

Judd is reassigning a number of assets in his department to work exclusively on heroin related crimes, but he wants to reach out to addicts to get them the help they need.

http://wfla.com/2017/04/20/heroin-overdose-claims-well-known-victim-in-polk-county/

Turning to chemical substances after a horrific tragedy isn't uncommon, poor lady. She is finally at peace.

Her pain is over She most likely didn't want to live after something this horrific happed to her daughter.
I don't think I could a 22 is faster and cheaper for me

What isn't fair Is that prick is still living waiting to die
These execution s need to be swift
That Lil girls death was not and it was painfully/ frighting
The mother lived with years of pain
Now this a hole awaits his
Not fair ..
He should have been dead after his sentence
Period

this is a tragedy the latest update annnd why this guy never should have lived this long elsewhere as there are multiple threads with stories up on DD concerning this case

A death sentence has been reinstated for Joseph Smith for the 2004 kidnapping, rape and murder of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia.

Smith, 54, was convicted in November 2005 of the kidnapping, rape and murder and was later sentenced to death in March 2006, based on a 10-2 recommendation by the jury.

After the U.S. Supreme Court declared Florida’s death penalty law unconstitutional because it allowed non-unanimous jury recommendations and subsequent Florida Supreme Court rulings, Smith’s death sentence was vacated and he was granted a new hearing to determine his punishment.

The Florida Supreme Court then reversed itself, concluding that a unanimous jury was not necessary to impose the death penalty. The State Attorney’s Office then sought to have the death penalty reinstated as part of a motion that was argued before Circuit Judge Charles Roberts on Feb. 18.

In a nine-page order issued Tuesday, and announced by State Attorney Ed Brodsky during a video press conference, Roberts reinstated the death penalty for Smith, citing the Florida Supreme Court’s reversal.

“Joseph Smith is again one step closer to receiving a just sentence that was recommended by a jury of his peers in this community,” Brodsky said. “We will never forget what happened on Feb. 1, 2004.”

Carlie was walking home at about 6 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday in 2004 from a friend’s house, when Smith abducted as she passed behind of the Evie’s Car Wash, 4715 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota.

Carlie’s body was found four days later behind the Central Church of Christ. Smith had raped and later strangled her. Surveillance video from the car was key evidence at his trial.
1587663343490.png

Last edited:
Back