• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

mynameiskat

Brown Chicken Brown Cow
I am hoping for better photos soon

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/2...ls-remains-found-under-california-garage.html

Century-old coffin holding young girl's remains found under California garage
1464292396226.jpg

The coffin may have been there since the 1870s, according to the news station. Records showed the property used to be part of a cemetery, but other caskets were moved a century ago.

Worker Kevin Boylan said he was shocked that the remains inside were so well-preserved. "All the hair was still there. The nails were there. That was a giveaway. There were flowers — roses, still on the child's body. It was a sight to see." The girl reportedly was just three years old.

Boylan told Fox 2 the homeowner, Ericka Karner, was out of town at the time. When she heard about the discovery, she said she was torn. "On one hand, slightly creepy. And then also, you know, sad. The next thing was...now what do we do?"

Under city policy, the coffin was her responsibility, she said. So Karner reached out to Garden of Innocence, a group that arranges for burials of unidentified children.

"This little one has no voice. So we need to give her a voice," the group's founder, Elissa Davey, told Fox 2.

Karner had few clues about the girl and may never learn her full story. She named the child Miranda.

Workers reportedly moved the casket to refrigerated storage and plan to hold a new burial next month in nearby Colma

That's really sweet to arrange a new burial for her. Especially since California didn't seem to care what they did with her.

But it seems strange that since it was found on her property it was left up to her to do whatever with the body. Wouldn't that be a public health concern?

I know I would never rest until I dug up the rest of the property to make sure no others were left there.

That's really sweet to arrange a new burial for her. Especially since California didn't seem to care what they did with her.

But it seems strange that since it was found on her property it was left up to her to do whatever with the body. Wouldn't that be a public health concern?

I know I would never rest until I dug up the rest of the property to make sure no others were left there.
Believe it or not, unless the person was freshly dead from some communicable diseasee, dead bodies don't pose much of a healthy hazard. That being said, I wouldn't want one planted in my vegetable garden or steeping in my soup ;)

If she was as well preserved as they claim she was her family was probably rich. I would think such a nice casket and preservation so long ago would have been expensive.

I'm just glad this person did the right thing by this little girl and not just storing her somewhere or something worse, destroying the coffin and body. She was somebody's baby and one day in the future anybody could be found like that.

Well you know they could just stacked it in their garage and forgot about it for all the state of California cared. Don't tell me there's not folks that would have done that, or chopped it up and took it to the landfill. If there's just one thing I've learned reading here, there is always someone who'll do the most depraved thing with only a shrug of their shoulders.

Last edited:
I'm admittedly weird, but since the property was once an established cemetary I would have buried had her buried somewhere else in my yard and planted some flowers over her.

She's been there for 100 years, it's her home too.

I also wouldn't have called the newspaper or anything else either.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-miranda-eve-reburial-20160604-snap-story.html

The body of the 3-year-old girl was dressed in a white gown, with roses placed in her blond hair and lavender across her chest. It was sealed in a bronze and lead casket and buried in a cemetery in San Francisco.

And that’s where it remained for nearly 150 years.

Then last month, a crew working on a home-renovation project in the city’s Richmond District discovered the grave, which was supposed to have been relocated in the early 1920s. No one knew why she was left behind or who she was.

On Saturday morning, more than 100 people attended a ceremony for the girl’s reburial in Colma, less than 10 miles from where she was originally buried. They christened her Miranda Eve.

Her casket was put inside a slightly larger cherry wood-paneled coffin with handles on each side and two bouquets of white flowers on top. Her heart-shaped granite headstone read:

Miranda Eve

The child loved around the world

“If no one grieves, no one will remember.”

I know this story is already here and I did look for it, but I couldn't find it, so mods, you know what to do, move to the correct place.

I searched several different ways and even looked thru "General News" one title at a time, but it's in "Random Topics" so now I see why I couldn't find it.

I searched several different ways and even looked thru "General News" one title at a time, but it's in "Random Topics" so now I see why I couldn't find it.

Sorry I don't start many threads because I suck at it lol

@mynameiskat, No, no, no, you did fine, I was just looking in the wrong place. It was hard to find, first of all, because here were no names associated with it and then I picked the wrong forum to look thru, not your fault at all, you did great!

Don't feel bad! I only found it because I remembered who posted it, and looked through the threads she's created. Slow night last night, I'm on vacation. <3

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mystery-solved-toddler-girl-buried-012600200.html

Garden of Innocence, which used a team of volunteers to scour old records in a yearlong effort to identify her." data-reactid="16">Her name was Edith Howard Cook and she died on Oct. 13, 1876 at the age of 2 years, 10 months and 15 days, according to the nonprofit Garden of Innocence, which used a team of volunteers to scour old records in a yearlong effort to identify her.

Her parents were socially prominent and she was the couple's first girl.

She had been buried in her family’s plot in the Yerba Buena section of the Odds Fellow Cemetery in San Francisco. The graveyard was later closed and its coffins relocated. Somehow, Cook's tiny, glass- paneled resting place was left behind.

Garden of Innocence, which provides burials and services for children who have no one to help, agreed to aid the Karners in burying the small body and vowed to learn who she had been.

The child was nicknamed Miranda Eve and was reburied at Greenlawn Memorial Park in Colma, Calif., during a June service attended by about 140 people.

Be fully at peace now, little Edith Howard Cook, in your new resting place.
Your name is known, your are rightfully remembered, and still loved in death by countless people who never knew you in life.:angelic:

Who are these fucking losers with nothing better to do then attend the funeral of a centuries dead body? What a waste of fucking time and resources.

Shoulda thrown the thing in a g arbage dump

Who are these fucking losers with nothing better to do then attend the funeral of a centuries dead body? What a waste of fucking time
They had to rebury with fanfare, generates donations.
I'm admittedly weird, but since the property was once an established cemetary I would have buried had her buried somewhere else in my yard and planted some flowers over her.

She's been there for 100 years, it's her home too.

I also wouldn't have called the newspaper or anything else either.
I agree, quiet reburial and no talk. I even have very secluded space to do it on my property. But in San Francisco, not so easy to keep that a secret. Someone would tell, and somehow the city would be on her neck over it. The city would find a way to make the homeowner pay $$. City of SF is a money vampire. Sucks residents dry.

Back