• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A security guard was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after an alleged shoplifter was tackled to the ground and bled to death when bottles he was carrying smashed.

The suspected thief also suffered a cardiac arrest in the altercation in The Shires car park in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, on Thursday afternoon.

He was treated by paramedics but died at the scene, police said.

The 20-year-old security guard, from Trowbridge, was arrested shortly after.

[Police] said the victim, who was aged 30 and thought to be from Cornwall, was suspected of committing a number of shoplifting offences in the town and there had been "various episodes involving this individual and security staff from surrounding stores during the day".

"We need to understand whether or not the force being used was proportionate to the circumstances that unravelled during the course of the day," [...].

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-38932180

I don't see how the guard could have known this would happen.

It isn't as if he just shot some guy for shoplifting. He was trying to detain him.

Just my 2 cents.

My thought would be that it depends on if the security guard knew what the guy had shoplifted, i.e., glass bottles. If so, then yeah...I can see why he was charged. If not, I don't see how he can be held responsible.

I don't understand why someone working security liek this would physically engage someone over a theft. Verbally try to stop them, and leave it there. You're getting paid shit, you're not a cop, why fucking fight with people? Tell them no, if they don't obey, step to the side and call the proper authorities. Collect your paycheck and go home unscathed by both scumbags and the gov't.

People are fucking stupid.

Also, don't hire 20 year olds as security guards. They think they need to prove something.
There is a valuable lesson here for shoplifters. Don't steal glass containers.

Give the security a medal and a raise.
Let it be a message to other shoplifters...

"You come in here, we may just kill your ass...
but it will be a nice slow bleed out.
We want you to know you screwed up".

Back