• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/i...labama_food_inmate_co.html#incart_river_index
Morgan County Sheriff Ana Franklin did use money from the jail's inmate food fund to loan $150,000 to a now-bankrupt used car dealership, her attorneys said in court records.
22337098-small.jpg

[....]
Franklin is scheduled to appear in federal court Thursday morning at 9 a.m. for a hearing, but in a joint motion the sheriff and the Center have asked for a continuance. U.S. District Judge Abdul K. Kallon has not yet issued a ruling on the request.

The hearing regards whether Franklin violated a 2009 consent order that says the Morgan County sheriff cannot use inmate food funds for anything other than feeding inmates. Franklin declined to comment, saying she can't speak about the case until after the hearing.
[....]
"Sheriff Franklin acknowledges that the money she loaned that business came from funds removed from the Peoples Bank Food Account," the motion states.

Franklin was one of several people listed as a creditor in a March 2016 bankruptcy filing after Priceville Partners closed. The business' co-owner was arrested on accusations of running a theft and scam operation. That co-owner, Greg Steenson, went to federal prison for an unrelated check kiting scheme in the 90s. Franklin has said she did not know Steenson was a co-owner when she made a loan to the company.
[....]
Morgan County prosecutors are alleging Steenson was selling stolen vehicles at the used car lot. The vehicles weren't owned by Steenson or the dealership, and clear titles weren't provided for the purchases, according to court records.
22337213-small.png

Franklin's lawyers also said in their response that what she did with the money doesn't matter because its' her private account. That assertion, however, is in question.

In general, Alabama sheriffs are allowed to keep any unspent food funds, but in Morgan County the consent decree prohibits the county's top cop from pocketing the money in addition to the $68,000 salary.

The consent decree stems from a 2001 federal lawsuit filed by Morgan County Jail inmates about conditions in the facility. The inmates sued the county and then-sheriff Steve Crabbe.
[....]
Franklin must comply with the consent decree because "public officials are automatically substituted as parties to any case in which their predecessors in office were sued in their official capacity," according to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

Franklin's predecessor, Greg Bartlett, was jailed for contempt of court after he was substituted as a defendant for Crabbe. Bartlett, who was dubbed "Sheriff Corndog" was found in contempt because he pocketed more than $200,000 while inmates were fed corndogs twice a day for weeks.

Franklin's attorneys argue the ruling doesn't apply to her, as U.S. District Judge U.W. Clemon, who issued the consent decree, did not find unconstitutional the state law that allows sheriffs to keep unspent food funds.
[....]
Franklin removed $150,000 and $10,000 from the food account on June 5, 2015 by using two cashier's checks. Franklin refused to show records about what happened with the $160,000, the center said in its motion. But, she provided a document that showed an account named "Ana Woodard Franklin, Food Account" had a $160,000 balance in February. The account is listed under a Hartselle home address.
[....]

She should be put in her own jail and then not fed since they don't have the funds to feed the inmates. Yes, I know this happened awhile ago and there is funds to feed them, but just saying that should happen.

That is the stupidest way to operate ever thought up! Of course, if you're allowed to keep what's left over after you feed the inmates, there is a high probability that the inmates are not going to eat at all.

The only way to fix this would be to make them spent their entire inmate food budget on, oh let's go wild, make them spend it all on inmate food!

That's just incredibly stupid.

Scree the inmates. The excess money from that fund should go to school lunches for the kids having their food thrown away due to inability to pay.

Cant they just focus on starving the ones that are child abusing raping mofos. Go ahead and starve them. The others no... looks like greed got the best of her

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/i...heriff_food_money_jai.html#incart_river_index
Morgan County Sheriff Ana Franklin's has been held in civil contempt of court and fined $1,000 in the legal battle surrounding the jail's food money and a $150,000 crooked car lot investment.

A federal judge today approved a settlement between Franklin and the Southern Center for Human Rights, according to court records.

Franklin also is required to pay $5,000 to cover the Atlanta-based Center's legal fees, U.S. District Judge Abdul K. Kallon wrote in an order. The Center represents the jail's inmates

The settlement, which was proposed in a joint statement by Franklin and the Center, also terminates part of a consent decree that requires the Morgan County Sheriff to spend all food money on inmate meals. The remainder of the consent decree, which required improvements to the jail and monitoring of the facility by the inmate's lawyers, remains in effect.
[....]
The food money provision is found in paragraph 22 of a 2009 consent decree in a federal lawsuit against former Morgan County sheriffs. In 2009, U.S. District Judge U.W. Clemon ordered the Morgan County Sheriff not to use jail food money for anything other than inmate meals. The order came after then-Sheriff Greg Bartlett was jailed for profiting from the jail's food account while inmates ate corn dogs for weeks.

Franklin told AL.com she is relieved the judge and the Southern Center agreed to terminating Paragraph 22 of the consent decree. The sheriff also said she still believes the paragraph did not apply to her.

"I accepted the civil contempt because I didn't go to the court and get an order to terminate the paragraph," Franklin said. "I didn't do that because I didn't believe I had to. Never did I know from the time I took office that the contempt order from Greg Bartlett was applicable to me. The language in the order issued to the former sheriff was ambiguous and not clear to me and apparently to others who advised me. My understanding was it would only apply to me if I violated the original consent decree."
[....]
"It's apparent from the clear language that it applied to her," Geraghty told AL.com.

Geraghty said the Center will continue to monitor the conditions of the jail. She also expressed discontentment with the Prison Reform Litigation Act, which has made it easier for sheriffs to terminate provisions of consent decrees.

"After two years, termination is automatic unless we could show a problem with the food was leading to a current threat of serious harm to peoples' health or safety," Geraghty said. "That is a very high standard."
[....]
Alabama law allows sheriffs to keep unspent food funds. Morgan County is an exception because of the consent decree. The decree stemmed from a lawsuit that dates back to 2001. At that time, inmates sued then-sheriff Steve Crabbe because of conditions in the jail.

Bartlett became a defendant in the lawsuit when he took office, as did Franklin after she was elected.

Franklin's legal battle with the Atlanta-based Southern Center for Human Rights began after she violated the consent decree by removing $160,000 from the jail food account and invested $150,000 in a crooked car lot.

The car lot, which was co-owned by a convicted felon, filed bankruptcy in 2015. Franklin was listed as one of several creditors in the bankruptcy suit. At the time, Franklin said she loaned the $150,000 to Priceville Partners, LLC. from her personal retirement account. The car lot's co-owner also has been charged with several felonies associated with the business. Franklin and other creditors haven't been charged with crimes.
[....]
the sheriff admitted in court records that she loaned the car lot money from the meal fund. The sheriff has maintained her assertions that the unspent food funds are for her to keep as personal money.

Judge Kallon has canceled a court hearing that was set for June 21 at 10:30 a.m.

"We did not have any current or ongoing violations and we have never had a violation since I've been sheriff," Franklin said of the consent decree. "That's why the judge was able to sign on terminating Paragraph 22. There were no issues with us feeding inmates and treating people the way they should be treated."

I don't get why the fuck she should be pocketing the left over funds! What's the reasoning there? o_O
Does money expire if its not used by a certain date? This policy is just begging to be abused!
Where does the money come from on the first place? If its the tax payers, this money needs to be put towards public initiatives.
Much like Gem, this shit is truly, truly, truly outrageous...

What a scummy hick bitch.

There is NOTHING more ignorant or dangerous then a southern hick cop, especially a bimbo criminal one.

I bet the redneck idiot voters in bama vote her back in.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabam...0k-from-inmate-food-funds-bought-beach-house/
An Alabama sheriff legally used more than $750,000 of funds meant to feed inmates to purchase a beach house. Etowah County Sheriff Todd Entrekin told The Birmingham News he follows a state law passed before World War II that allows sheriffs to keep "excess" inmate-feeding funds for themselves.

Entrekin reported on state ethics forms that he made "more than $250,000" each of the past three years through the funds.

The sheriff's annual salary is more than $93,000. He and his wife purchased a four-bedroom house with an in-ground pool and canal access in September for $740,000.

Entrekin got a $592,000 mortgage. The home is one of several properties with a total assessed value of more than $1.7 million that the couple own together or separately.
[....]
This is not the first time the law has made national headlines. In 2009, Greg Bartlett, who was then the sheriff of Morgan County, was thrown into his own jail by a federal judge after testimony from inmates about inadequate meals, including paper-thin bologna and cold grits. Bartlett testified that he legally kept as personal income about $212,000 over three years with surplus meal money but denied that inmates were improperly fed.

In January, advocacy groups sued for access to public records to find out how much jail food money is given to sheriffs and pocketed. In the lawsuit, the Southern Center for Human Rights and the Alabama Appleseed Center for Law and Justice said 49 sheriffs had not complied with the request.

There was finally enough of an outcry that something is being done about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/us/alabama-jail-food-money.html
[....]
The practice, born of a bickered-over ambiguity in a state law, has let sheriffs pocket tax dollars that over the decades almost certainly ran into the millions. To curtail the practice, Gov. Kay Ivey ordered in a memorandum to the state comptroller that payments of certain funds related to jail food “no longer be made to the sheriffs personally.” Instead, the governor wrote, the money must be paid to county general funds or official accounts.

“Public funds should be used for public purposes,” Ms. Ivey, a Republican, said in a statement on Wednesday. “It’s that simple.”

Critics of the practice welcomed the governor’s action on Wednesday but said it resolved only part of the problem because it did not apply to every type of payment related to jail food.

Latest posts

Back