• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11808201
[....]
Ellie-May Clark, 5, died of an asthma attack after Dr Joanne Rowe allegedly refused to see her, the Mail on Sunday reported, despite having previously been warned the girl was at risk of having a life-threatening seizure.

According to the child's mother, Shanice, they were just four minutes late for the appointment.

An official report stated they were eight minutes late, but she insists this was incorrect, claiming she checked the time on her mobile phone when she arrived.

They were sent home and told to return in the morning, but the girl had an asthma attack later than night, following which she died.
[....]
Since the doctors' watchdog, the General Medical Council, held her disciplinary hearing behind closed doors, details of the incident would have remained secret had the "confidential" NHS report not been leaked to the press.

The report concluded that the "root cause" of the girl's death was Rowe's refusal to see her. It said the GP turned Ellie-May away without asking a single question about the girl's condition.

[....]
staff were "fearful" of questioning Rowe because of her "repeated angry outbursts" and "volatile" nature.

Rowe claimed to have been "in the middle" of seeing a patient when Ellie-May arrived, but the surgery's computer system showed that was not the case.

Campaigners said the current system puts patients at risk. Sir Donald Irvine, a former president of the GMC, warned the watchdog needed "urgent reform".
[....]
While the GMC's closed inquiry was ongoing, Rowe secured a job in another surgery in nearby Cardiff, where she works today.

Dr James Davies, a Welsh Conservative MP and qualified GP, said he would urgently raise the matter with the GMC "in the interests of transparency".

Rowe declined to respond to the health board's report.

So this kid wasnt having an asthma attack when they got to the dr. This may not be the popular opinion around here, but i totally understand drs offices cancelling appointments when their patients are late. Especially if they were consistently late. My kids drs office will do that if youre 15 mins late and dont call. I do agree that the 4 minutes late was kind of extreme, but hey, late is late.
Now the dr told them to come back in the morning.
If the child wasnt having an asthma attack right then, then i dont see anything wrong with that. And if the kid WAS currently having an attack, who the fuck makes an appointment with a gp for that!?
Finally, that night the child has an asthma attack...why didnt she go to the emergency room where you cant be late!?
I understand that a little girl dies and that is horrible. I just dont see how this should all come back on the dr. I mean, a drs office cant just allow patients to show up whenever they want at their convenience....thats what the er is for. The dr may very well have been an asshole because she didnt like this family for whatever reason, but even in that case, if the child wasnt actively having an asthma attack, i dont see how the death can be the drs fault.

I understand that a little girl dies and that is horrible. I just dont see how this should all come back on the dr. I mean, a drs office cant just allow patients to show up whenever they want at their convenience....thats what the er is for. The dr may very well have been an asshole because she didnt like this family for whatever reason, but even in that case, if the child wasnt actively having an asthma attack, i dont see how the death can be the drs fault.

I see both sides of the argument. That said, has your appointment ever started on time? They make you wait in the waiting room when you're on time. Then they move you into a private... waiting room. THEN if you're lucky... they'll come spend 5 minutes on you. I think that's what people have a problem with...

Last edited:
Let's just say for arguments sake that the doctor did see the girl. If she wasn't displaying any symptoms while the doctor was looking at her, then feasibly nothing would've prevented her attack.

My nephew has asthma. He dutifully carries his inhaler with him, does breathing treatments at night. But every once in a blue moon an attack comes. It's just the way it is.

Blaming a doctor for not seeing a child for a routine checkup isn't going to prevent that. I'm sorry, it isn't. Whether the doctor was being an asshole or not, I believe is irrelevant. Late is late. When you're scheduled to work at 7 am and show up at 7:04, you're late, and therefor can be fired. Not much a difference here. That's the whole point of making appointments.

Yes, doctors make you wait if you do show up on time. That's inevitable. However, most offices I've ever been to even have it displayed on the wall that if you're late, your appointment can be cancelled. If she wasn't in a life threatening situation at that moment, then that office has every right to say be on your way. As with any other place one may make an appointment for.

Last edited:
Blaming a doctor for not seeing a child for a routine checkup isn't going to prevent that. I'm sorry, it isn't. Whether the doctor was being an asshole or not, I believe is irrelevant. Late is late. When you're scheduled to work at 7 am and show up at 7:04, you're late, and therefor can be fired. Not much a difference here. That's the whole point of making appointments.

That's still overlooking the fact that there could have been something wrong... that maybe he could have caught during a routine checkup. That's how these things get found sometimes. I don't know I'm not a doctor... but if something was amiss? We'll never know now...

That's still overlooking the fact that there could have been something wrong... that maybe he could have caught during a routine checkup. That's how these things get found sometimes.

I'm not saying that the doctor may not have found anything. All I'm saying is that there is no indication that an asthma attack was imminent.

However, I just reread the article and caught this.

Ellie-May Clark, 5, died of an asthma attack after Dr Joanne Rowe allegedly refused to see her, the Mail on Sunday reported, despite having previously been warned the girl was at risk of having a life-threatening seizure.

Had this been the reason for the appointment, then yeah that's pretty damn cold to refuse for a few minutes late. Especially not asking if she was displaying any indications of a seizure.

I did also catch:

staff were "fearful" of questioning Rowe because of her "repeated angry outbursts" and "volatile" nature.

That also being the case, then maybe mom should be a little more mindful how she treats people. It very well could've saved her daughter's life.

In conclusion, I shall stop skimming articles.

My ex and my child Got asthma attacks, used to have to go to ER from time to time. In between attacks they were fine, I don't think seeing the doctor earlier would've made a deference
We had the standard inhalers and nebulizer but they didn't help at times, so ER was only way to go

I see both sides of the argument. That said, has your appointment ever started on time? They make you wait in the waiting room when you're on time. Then they move you into a private... waiting room. THEN if you're lucky... they'll come spend 5 minutes on you. I think that's what people have a problem with...
My one doctor is super quick, but I've seen him spend an hour with a patient and family that should have been a fifteen minute visit. It's not always the doctor that's holding things up.

My one doctor is super quick, but I've seen him spend an hour with a patient and family that should have been a fifteen minute visit. It's not always the doctor that's holding things up.

I agree completely. I don't hate doctors, or think they are jackasses. I'm just afraid of them lol... Don't want to go in there for a cold and wake up at the funny farm!

ETA: I hear there is nothing funny about the funny farm... and I really like funny stuff.

Satanica said: ▲
That also being the case, then maybe mom should be a little more mindful how she treats people. It very well could've saved her daughter's life.
In conclusion, I shall stop skimming articles.

Rowe is the doctor, not the mom....the doctor had angry outbursts and a volatile nature. Too bad the staff couldn't have pushed a little, the girl might have gotten seen.

@thatsmallgrl sorry if I read your reply wrong....I wasn't sure if you were referring to the staff being afraid of the mom or doctor. Excuse me if I got it wrong.

Last edited:
I got it wrong. Yesterday was a really bad day for me. Really shouldn't of commented.

I hope today is much better! <3
[doublepost=1519748109,1488469576][/doublepost]https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...because-she-was-10-minutes-late-36648809.html
[....]
Neither Mrs James nor Dr Rowe asked why Ellie-May was late or the reason for her emergency appointment. The doctor did not open Ellie-May's clinical notes or ask a colleague to see her.

Miss Clark said Ellie-May was upset after leaving the surgery and asked: "Why won't the doctor see me?"

She told the inquest she did not believe her daughter needed to go to hospital, adding: "Obviously now I would do things differently."

They returned to the family home in Malpas, Newport, where Ellie-May went to bed at about 8pm.

Miss Clark checked on her daughter every 10-15 minutes and went in at 10.30pm after hearing her coughing.

She immediately called 999 after seeing that Ellie-May's face and hands had turned blue and she girl was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.

A post-mortem examination by Andrew Bamber found Ellie-May had died from bronchial asthma and may have suffered a seizure before her death due to a lack of oxygen.

At the conclusion of the inquest, a statement from Dr Rowe read: "Dr Rowe knows that nothing can be said to Ellie-May's family to make a difference but she would like to say how truly sorry she is."

Justin Chisnall, of Harding Evans Solicitors, read a statement from Ellie-May's family saying they were "disappointed" the coroner did not find neglect in her case.

"The family acknowledge the apology from Dr Rowe, especially as they have been waiting in excess of three years for an outcome and to receive answers to their questions," he said.

This is what happens when you have medical people making business decisions and vice versa. I've seen things like this happen way too often in medical offices (not a kids death as a result though).

Doc Attitude needs to be sued into oblivion.
Take her license and shut out of the medical profession.
Let her spend her years selling adult incontinence solutions.

I don't for the life of me see why the hell you seem to get off so much in thinking up messed up "punishments" for people. As I alluded in my earlier post this was most likely not the Dr.'s decision at all but more so an unqualified "business manager" that thought they were making the office more efficient.

Back