• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Are they all orphans? Their parents taught them zero life skills? WTF?

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/21/510554718/adulting-school-teaches-young-adults-grown-up-skills
[....]
The school offers private social media groups and live events at local bars and restaurants. At these events, attendees can learn skills like how to network as a pro or how to fold a fitted sheet.

Carly Bouchard, 29, sat among a couple of dozen young adults sipping drinks at a Portland restaurant and hoping to uncover their true financial self.

"I'm a financial cripple," Bouchard said.

Although she went to business school, Bouchard said, she now needs the Adulting School.
[....]
Adrienne Abramowitz, 25, watched a demonstration on proper folding and then grabbed a fitted sheet as her friend Emily Rice, 26, coached.

"You put it together, and then you pinch it," Abramowitz said.

But after a futile attempt, they called for help.
[....]
the goal behind the school is serious.

Co-founder Rachel Weinstein got the idea from her work as a psychotherapist. She noticed many of her clients struggled with the transition to adulthood. Things like paying bills on time and choosing a career were difficult for them.

"You know, when you see 10 people feeling like they're the only one, and they're all struggling with the same thing, you think, let's get these people together so they can learn this stuff and not feel so isolated and ashamed," Weinstein said.
[....]
They tend to be millennials and women. Lindsay Rowe Scala, 32, said she is trying to figure out how to save for the future and pay off school debt.
[....]
Holly Swyers, an associate professor of anthropology at Lake Forest College who has researched adulthood, said this stress goes back generations. She said part of the problem is that classes that teach life skills, like home economics, aren't emphasized and there is no dedicated place to learn adult skills.
[....]
The Adulting School has drawn criticism for its perceived coddling. But Swyers said the school deserves kudos for addressing a real problem.

As adults navigate from dependence to independence, Swyers said she would like to see more proactive approaches in helping them accomplish their transition.

Must be a lot of blondes in the class. Back when I was in high school they had a class called modern family living that taught stuff you needed to know. I fear for the future if people aren't taught by their parents how to do the most basic of tasks.

These women should be breeding and raising children. This is how one becomes an adult. Their lives are superfluous and empty.

there is no dedicated place to learn adult skills.
Yes there is such a place... It's the parents' house.

Total fail by parents if their fledglings can't balance a checkbook, sew a button, mend a tear, shop frugally, cook simple nutritious meals or behave courteously in public, and professionally at work. A lot of young people - even males - can't check their vehicle oil level, or tire pressure properly.
So called adult skills begin in childhood when parents set the example and enforce civil behavior and give their spawn chores around the house.

Last edited:
A lot of parents coddle their kids, teenagers, tell them there is no one as special as they are, give them all they want of everything they want and then on their 18th birthday, the parents say, you are an adult now, go out into the world and adult. The kids go out into the big wide world and discover that they don't know shit. Of course that's the ones that want to succeed, the ones who don't care or can't adapt usually end up in the mental ward or in jail.

No one ever has to work thru a hardship. No one ever has to make do, they expect for stuff and skills to just appear when they need them, but they don't.

I have lived in a house without running water or toilet, I have been hungry only feeding my kids, I have gone without baths or washing clothes because our well ran dry. I don't think that young people today could adapt to not having electricity or water or gas, just turning a knob and this stuff appears. They wouldn't know how to do what they need to do without all our modern conveniences.

I know I'm not talking about all young folks but I am talking about a great many.

God bless. 29 years old is no longer a young adult.

These classes are surely paid for by the parents who desperately want their sneauflakes to launch.
[doublepost=1488083177,1487985333][/doublepost]
hey wouldn't know how to do what they need to do without all our modern conveniences.
I think that speaks to the heart of the problem of many failing to launch.

It is possible to live with roomates to meet the rent on an apartment while working a shitty job; it isn't possible to do that while at the same time blowing said money from shitty job on expensive electronic conveniences. Easier to live with the folks and hang onto those huge data plans, playing Call of Duty on nice, large, TVs.

Back