• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.theprovince.com/News/12906942/story.html
A B.C. woman who was fired after 24 years of working at Burger King for taking home a fish sandwich combo without paying has been awarded $46,000 for wrongful dismissal.

Usha Ram took the owners of the downtown Vancouver fast food franchise to court after she was fired at the end of 2013 from her position as a cook. Ram argued she had been given permission by the manager on duty to pack up the food and take it home without paying.

Janif Mohammed, co-owner of the Granville Street fast food joint, represented himself in court and countered that he had a zero-tolerance policy for theft and said Ram took a sandwich, fries and soft drink, though Yayyaba Salman, the manager on duty at the time, testified she thought Ram had asked only to take a sandwich.

Ram is a 55-year-old wife and mother who immigrated to Canada from Fiji in 1987. She has a Grade 8 education and a basic level of English. Throughout the trial, Ram testified in Hindi using an interpreter.

Ram is the sole breadwinner, supporting both her physically handicapped husband and a mentally disabled adult daughter.
[....]
Mohammed testified Ram “was a good and valued employee, with no record of any formal discipline” with the chain before the December 2013 firing, said the judgment.

At the end of her shift on Dec. 27, 2013, Ram asked Salman, the manager on duty, in Hindi if she could take home what was later translated in court as “fish fry” without paying, as she did not have her wallet that day.

Salman, who also spoke Hindi, agreed and Ram packed a fish sandwich, an order of fries, and a pop. The manager later testified that she thought Ram was asking only to take home “fish” as in a fish sandwich, and not an order of fries as well.
[....]
The following week, Salman waited to see if Ram would pay for the extra food she had taken, which came to a total cost of $1 once staff discounts were accounted for. When Ram did not, the manager notified Mohammed, and Ram was pulled into a meeting and accused of stealing.

When Ram began crying and offered to pay for the food in hopes of keeping her job, she was told to leave. Ram left the premises in tears and uncertain whether she was still employed. Ram claims she suffered mental distress as a result of the incident.

“Mr. Mohammed did not consider the particular circumstances or make any assessment of the actual seriousness of Ms. Ram’s conduct before deciding to terminate her employment,” [....]

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lisa Warren concluded Ram was not given an appropriate chance to respond to the allegations and clarify that it was the result of a miscommunication. Warren also ruled Mohammed and franchise co-owner Michael Lacombe “behaved in an unreasonable, unfair and unduly insensitive manner” the day Ram was confronted with the allegations, noting Mohammed failed to take into account the difficulty Ram would face trying to find a job elsewhere, considering her age, poor English skills, and lack of education.
[....]

Yeah well fuck burger king.
They treat their employees like shit.

Many years agi, i worked fir host international. Part time employees got one free meal a day and anyone working five hours or more per day got 2 free meals.
Burger king gives only a small percent off.
[doublepost=1487102749,1487102187][/doublepost]http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-38933617

Heres another very similar story.

she took the fries too ... gross! burger king has the worst fries on the planet.

The following week, Salman waited to see if Ram would pay for the extra food she had taken, which came to a total cost of $1 once staff discounts were accounted for. When Ram did not, the manager notified Mohammed, and Ram was pulled into a meeting and accused of stealing.

What a cunt ... I bet she is hating this judge so hard right now. I wonder if she still works at burger king.

i understand that it was possible that it was a miscommunication (though they both spoke the same language) but if things have become so PC that an employer has to keep any older people around based on their chances of finding another job or pay out the ass when an employee has taken stuff that they werent authorized to simply because they have dependents at home, then im double pissed that i was fired for eating mexi nuggets on the sly while taking drive thru orders. i was entitled to a free meal that graveyard shift but since the line of cars stayed wrapped around the block for several hours, i decided to eat a snack as i could so i could continue to work even though i had to work through what was supposed to be my lunch. so actually they wronged me yet i was fired. this bitch gets 50k out of pity for having to speak through a translator in court i guess. i think that if she was given the benefit of the doubt (which usually NEVER happens in employee theft cases), then she shouldve been reinstated and possibly transferred for her comfort and given back pay and any reparations made for any loss of housing she may have lost as a result of the loss of pay. thats it.

Last edited:
Back