• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
Demetrius Durr's voice cracked as he talked into his phone. Someone had called as he stood in the rain at the end of his mother's driveway on Butts Road in Toomsuba.

"I need to talk to you about that later ... My whole family has been in a homicide," he said, the words seemingly as foreign to him as they must have been to the person who had called.

A crime scene in Toomsuba, Miss. where three women and a 5-year-old boy were found shot to death ...more
Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger
Durr's mother, 65-year-old Edna Durr, his sisters, Kiearra Durr, 27, and Tomecca Pickett, 42, and Pickett's 5-year-old son Owen, had all been found gunned down in their home Tuesday morning by deputies sent to conduct a welfare check.

Three-year-old Bailey Ruffin, Kiearra's daughter, was also there, alive and uninjured. She was taken by ambulance to a hospital to be checked out.

Demetrius' phone rang steadily as he tried to talk to law enforcement and family on the scene. Most of the callers knew what was going on, but some didn't. The son, brother and uncle who hadn't even been able to process what had happened was clinging to composure by a thread. His morning had started off with a phone call, too. One asking if he had talked to his mother that morning.

"That person was like, 'Oh OK, I'll call you back.' Then by the time I hung up, another person had called me, 'Hey Demetrius, where you at?'" Demetrius said.

The caller continued, "You might need to go out to your mama's house. Your family got killed."

Demetrius said at that point, he just fell apart. He described whoever killed his family as "a very cruel and evil person," who acted out of "just hatred." Asked if he knew who it was, he said, "well, I have an idea."

His cousin, Cortney Scott, said his heart is breaking for his family.

"I don't know, I don't know what to say. I can't imagine what they're going through, what's going through their head. To lose your mom, your two sisters and your nephew, that's a lot to take in," he said.

Sherren Smith, another cousin, lost a son to gun violence in 2015 and started a support group for survivors of homicide and violence. She said Toomsuba should be a safe place.

"It's unbelievable, we're quiet people," she said. "I've never known of anything like this to happen in Toomsuba. It really doesn't seem real."

Coroner Clayton Cobler said all four victims were shot, but it was unclear how many times they had been shot. He said that information would be clear upon completion of autopsies.

Chief Deputy Ward Calhoun said it appears the family was shot sometime Monday night. He said once the word got out about the shootings, authorities immediately started receiving tips from the public.

"We're confident that with the community's help and the expertise of our investigators we can determine the individual or individuals involved in this case, and prosecute them," he said.

So far there is no motive and no clear suspect, Calhoun said, but added that investigators have spoken with several people.

"I think we as human beings recognize that when you have a defenseless child, it is traumatic for everyone involved. Traumatic for the family, traumatic for the community, traumatic for law enforcement that has to deal with these kind of situations," he said. "We look forward to seeing justice for this family."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/02/21/quadruple-homicide-toomsuba/98195266/

I'm curious who (or what) made the deputies do a welfare check on the family.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently no one had seen activity at the house all day.

That's one of the things about country living. :rolleyes: Eyes and ears everywhere.

ETA: found it:

Cobler says neighbors called a sheriff's deputy to the home after they didn't see any activity there Monday. Cobler says the deputy found a shattered screen door with a bullet hole.

http://www.wtok.com/content/news/Four-people-found-dead-in-Lauderdale-County-414354363.html

Last edited:
curious over the 3yr old or maybe she isn't able to finger who it was as they obviously knew them.

This reminds me of the Pike County murders where everyone was killed except for the babies. But a three year old can talk, I wonder why she was spared? Hmm, I'd be looking hard at Kiearra's baby daddy, since her child was the only one left alive. But surely she would be able to identify him? Unless he had someone else do it.

This reminds me of the Pike County murders where everyone was killed except for the babies. But a three year old can talk, I wonder why she was spared? Hmm, I'd be looking hard at Kiearra's baby daddy, since her child was the only one left alive. But surely she would be able to identify him? Unless he had someone else do it.
allotta local stuff came out on that case on one site many people from the area talking about it [reddit?, topix] got spots bookmarked some where but don't matter if they pulled whole threads and pictures of cell phone texts] and the same on websleuths and then they pulled allot before I copied pasted and kept it somewhere and wanted to put it up in here but wanted to ask permission bit from ws as well as Morbid. I was thinking the same thing when I read this and that case, I do feel from what everyone said and listening to one of the 911 recordings, family was involved in that with other people, no doubt and I do think money was involved.

Last edited:
allotta local stuff came out on that case on one site many people from the area talking about it [reddit?, topix] got spots bookmarked some where but don't matter if they pulled whole threads and pictures of cell phone texts] and the same on websleuths and then they pulled allot before I copied pasted and kept it somewhere and wanted to put it up in here but wanted to ask permission bit from ws as well as Morbid. I was thinking the same thing when I read this and that case, I do feel from what everyone said and listening to one of the 911 recordings, family was involved in that with other people, no doubt and I do think money was involved.

Oh post it post it post it! As long as you say "in my opinion" or "this is purely rumor" you'll be fine. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4250604/Man-charged-quadruple-homicide-including-boy-5.html
3D890C4000000578-4250604-image-m-12_1487800015105.jpg

A man has been arrested and charged with shooting dead his girlfriend, her five-year-old son, mother and sister inside the home in rural Mississippi they all shared.

Authorities who broke through the door of the family's residence in Toomsuba on Monday to discover the bodies also found the sister's 3-year-old daughter uninjured inside.

Kavon McVay, 44, was charged on Wednesday with murder, capital murder and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, said Lauderdale County Chief Deputy Ward Calhoun.

Wonder if McVay had a criminal record when the victim decided to start a relationship with him and bring him into her home.

They ever figure that mess out?

Back