• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

FrayedKnot

Chupacabra
SHREVEPORT, La -

Preaching the gospel or pestering people? A religious minister turns a public place into a battleground over faith and the first amendment, but is is legal? KTBS-3 News visited Louisiana State University -Shreveport to witness the clash and we warn you some of the language may be offensive.

The pastor's name is "Brother Matt" and although no one knows which church he is affiliated with, they do know he's very vocal about his beliefs.

"Jesus said judge righteous judgment", Brother Matt yelled at LSUS students randomly.

"You just accused him of being a masturbate," a student yelled back defending their friend.

This scene is typical every school year. Just before Spring, Brother Matt returns, dressed in a jacket with the name "Jesus" embroidered in large letters walks in circles on a well worn grassy mall at LSUS' campus, and his rhetoric both irritates and draws embarrassment.

"10 out of 10 Mormons go to hell," Brother Matt yelled out.

"You sound like you have sugar in your tank," Matt added pointing at a male student.

Students say Brother Matt's doctrine is supposed to be about heaven and earth but it's actually "hellish" to some.

"He asked if I was Catholic and asked for my religion and when I told him I wasn't he told me to go to hell," said LSUS student Khoi Nygen.

And while private colleges have the legal latitude to say who can or cannot speak on their campuses, public colleges, like LSUS do not.
Student graduate and campus employee Dustin Gunderson wishes the school had better guidelines.

"I wish we could have more control of when he could come," said Gunderson.

But campus spokesperson, Brooke Rinaudo says just because you don't like someone doesn't give you the right to block their speech.

"He's not doing anything illegal. He comes here and gets his permit and so we can't stop him from doing anything he has a legal right to do," added Rinaudo.

Student government association president Dennis Henderson says the 1st amendment, freedom of speech. protects Brother Matt, even when his rhetoric is ugly.

"He talks about how individuals who are sinners who are homosexuals that's pretty much who he preys on most of the time: the homosexuals," said Henderson.

But for others, the right of self-expression is colliding with the right to be left alone. Khoi Nygen perceives it as a form of bullying.

"This is supposed to be a place where people should feel safe and not harassed because people are preaching at them."

http://www.ktbs.com/story/34549635/...urns-to-louisiana-state-university-shreveport

I think it would go under harrassment and they need to stop giving him permits, I know what I would have done if someone got up in my face the way it sounds lie he has after being up a few nights cramming for finals or mids and ready to rip someone a new asshole for looking at me wrong, they don't need that kinda aggravation

When I was at UF, we had all kinds of folks speaking in the plaza. This one guy used to talk about how he made hid wife obey him; he beat her with his bible...

We all just bought some Krishna food, listened to the rabbinical students debate, and generally were all, meh, with a little lol.

But none of those people specifically called out individuals and verbally ridiculed them. I think the guy DOES have a legal right, though. Legal does not always equal moral/ethical.

This bullying word is really getting out of hand. Now, just being annoyed or nervous is grounds for accusations of "bully!"
Seems like this guy is really annoying and mentally off.
Just nod politely and move along. Do not stop and engage the guy, that's what he wants.
Is it part if his Lent prep and worship? Weird.

This bullying word is really getting out of hand. Now, just being annoyed or nervous is grounds for accusations of "bully!"
Seems like this guy is really annoying and mentally off.
Just nod politely and move along. Do not stop and engage the guy, that's what he wants.
Is it part if his Lent prep and worship? Weird.

Nah, guys like this are pretty standard on public school campuses. But like I said, they usually do not make personal attacks on student passers-by.

Back