• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...in-kathy-liknes-murder-trial-begins-1.3936820
[....]
The man accused of killing a Calgary couple and their five-year-old grandson was motivated by a "petty grudge" over a patent dispute and burned their bodies in a barrel after killing them, court heard Monday as the triple-murder trial of Douglas Garland began.

In her opening statement, Crown prosecutor Vicki Faulkner said Douglas Garland was angry with Alvin Liknes over a dispute relating to a patent for a pump that dated back years.

She told the jury that when Garland learned through internet searches that Alvin and his wife, Kathy Liknes, were planning to leave Calgary, Garland finally decided to act on his grudge.

Five-year-old Nathan O'Brien was at his grandparents' home, having an impromptu sleepover, when the trio were taken.

Forensic analysis of Garland's computer hard drive will be presented as evidence, said Faulkner, showing research on murder, "how to kill without emotion," torture and autopsies.

Garland, 56, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in connection with the missing family members who were last seen June 29, 2014.

He said "not guilty" in a loud, clear voice when asked for a plea at the outset of his trial.
[....]
The Crown said DNA evidence from the missing family members was found on a saw and meat hooks, and bones and a tiny tooth were discovered in a large burn barrel.

A mapping plane that flew over the property also took photographs that show three bodies in the grass, according to the Crown's opening statement.

Alvin and Kathy were lying face down, according to the prosecution.

"You will also see a small figure curled up on the grass," said Faulkner. "The Crown says this is Nathan."
[....]
Alvin Liknes' son, Allen Liknes, was the prosecution's second witness. He was married to Douglas Garland's sister Patti at the time the family disappeared.
[....]
Allen testified that he, Alvin and Garland had worked together around 2006-2007, when his father hired Garland to do some wiring for a pump the father and son were developing.

The relationship between Alvin and Garland disintegrated beginning in 2007 when Garland became upset that he had been let go from the business after he stopped answering the phone, Liknes testified. By 2010, Allen testified that he and his father stopped talking to Garland because Alvin had had enough.

Allen told officers about the long-standing grudge Garland held against Alvin on June 30, 2014.
[....]
Prosecutors Shane Parker and Vicki Faulkner expect to call about 60 witnesses.

It's unknown whether defence lawyers Kim Ross and Jim Lutz will call any evidence.

A mapping plane that flew over the property also took photographs that show three bodies in the grass, according to the Crown's opening statement.

Alvin and Kathy were lying face down, according to the prosecution.

"You will also see a small figure curled up on the grass," said Faulkner. "The Crown says this is Nathan."

This is an incredible coincidence.....

Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches are outstanding. Most people don't even know about them. Trust me, if you're reading this- just stop and drop everything immediately. What you need to do is go to the nearest supermarket, and grab a jar of both with some wonder bread. Maybe even smoke a doobie first if that's your thing... just please try it!

Last edited:
lwZ9sEC.png

(A bloody handprint with DNA from both Nathan O'Brien, 5, and his grandmother Kathy Liknes was found on a closet door about knee high from the floor. (Court exhibit ))

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-murder-liknes-nathan-obrien-day-16-1.3972279

At knee-level on a closet door, a small bloody handprint was left behind in what appears to have been a violent struggle to get a five-year-old boy and his grandparents out of their home. DNA from the blood matched that of Nathan O'Brien, 5, and his grandmother Kathy Liknes.

Douglas Garland, 57, is being tried on three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of the boy and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes in June 2014.

The five-year-old had been left at the home in southwest Calgary for a sleepover on June 29, 2014. When his mother arrived the next morning, all three were gone and the house was splattered with blood.

The bloody handprint had swiped downward when it came into contact with the closet door, according to Sgt. Jody Arns, a blood pattern expert with the Calgary Police Service who testified on Wednesday.

In several areas of the home, DNA from Nathan and Kathy was found mixed together. (Was she holding him? Trying to keep him safe? Trying to comfort him in what small way she could, not knowing whether they would live or die?) When Jennifer O'Brien left her son at her parents' home, the grandmother and grandson were sleeping in the same bed together.

Both Alvin and Kathy were dragged through parts of the house, Arns said.

Based on her analysis of the bloodstains, Arns said there were four areas of the home where Kathy was "positioned while actively bleeding" and three areas Alvin would have lost significant amounts of blood while stationary.

All three victims were bleeding — dripping blood and at times transferring blood onto the walls of the home — as they were forced outside.

The blood was in various forms: drips, spatters, dried flakes, smears and pools.

Attempts appeared to have been made to clean the blood on the kitchen floor with a mop or rag, Arns told jurors.

Under cross-examination, Arns confirmed to defence lawyer Kim Ross that the victims lost "a significant amount of blood" in the incident but couldn't give a measurement as to how much or how many "impacts" each suffered.​

(A bloody handprint with DNA from both Nathan O'Brien, 5, and his grandmother Kathy Liknes was found on a closet door about knee high from the floor. (Court exhibit ))

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-murder-liknes-nathan-obrien-day-16-1.3972279
Under cross-examination, Arns confirmed to defence lawyer Kim Ross that the victims lost "a significant amount of blood" in the incident but couldn't give a measurement as to how much or how many "impacts" each suffered.​
I couldn't get this out of my head from the time I read it. Nothing is bad enough for this piece of garbage, sounds so redundant but so very true

Of course he @JackBurton was being a dick!

Anyway ... this story is really fucked up. This dude really took holding a grudge all the way to the top floor ... triple homicide. That kid has the sweetest smile ... I hope they haunt him in jail ... like really haunt him ... like show up with a grudge haunt him.

What the fuck is marshmellow "fluff?" Where the hell are you from? Lol @ Marshmellow fluff!

#GetThatFluffyFaggotAssShitOuttaHere!

ETA: Im still confused. Is that like the residue left behind when the marshmellow takes a dump or something?

ETA: Meant to hit the edit button. Hit the reply button instead.

#ShitHappens!
[doublepost=1486681064,1486680863][/doublepost]
Oh i forgot you're foreign.
Its an American thing lol

Lol. Yeah we have snow though! That's fluffy enough... We don't need Marshmallow fluff kicking around here...

Talking about peanut butter and nutella sammiches on a thread this horrific is fucking shitty even for DD.

Asshole. Put that shit in chit chat.

Talking about peanut butter and nutella sammiches on a thread this horrific is fucking shitty even for DD.

Asshole. Put that shit in chit chat.

Yeah well with any luck you'll get your ass deported back to whatever site you came from so DreaminDemon can be great again!

#MakeDreaminDemonGreatAgain!

The way I look at it? Come here for the story, but stay for the entertainment!

#EntertainingPeopleIsADeadCauseHereNow

Last edited:
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ilty-of-killing-liknes-couple-grandson-nathan

It took jurors 8.5 hours over two days to find Douglas Garland guilty Thursday of the revenge-motivated killings of a Calgary couple and their little grandson.

The three-woman, nine-man jury found Garland guilty of first-degree murder in the June 30, 2014, slayings of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and five-year-old Nathan O’Brien.

Jurors accepted the Crown’s theory Garland meticulously plotted the couple’s slaying after holding a grudge against Alvin Liknes, 66, for years.

Prosecutors Shane Parker and Vicki Faulkner argued Garland later became obsessed with Kathy Liknes, 53, and incorporated her into his deadly plot.

Earlier, Justice David Gates told jurors they could concluded Garland also committed a first-degree against the boy, either by unlawfully confining him and removing him from the home, killing him at his Airdrie farm, or by adding him to the murderous plan once he discovered the boy was present.

The Court of Queen’s Bench judge detailed the gruesome evidence in the case, from the bloodied scene at the Likneses’ Parkhill home in southwest Calgary to the often bizarre findings police uncovered on the farm Garland shared with his parents in rural Airdrie.

Gates said the farm evidence, which included internet searches of ways to kill, torture and dismember bodies, photos of dead and dismembered women, women clad in adult diapers, some bound as well, and restraints, handcuffs and tools for carving up corpses, could be used by jurors to consider murderous intent.

Also found inside the Garland farmhouse were three Tyvek suits, the white overalls police use at crime scenes to avoid contaminating evidence.

Garland will be handed an automatic life sentence and Gates could set his parole ineligibility as high as 75 years, tied for the harshest penalty handed out in Canada since the death penalty was abolished, meaning the offender wouldn’t be eligible for full parole until he is 129 years old.

could set his parole ineligibility as high as 75 years, tied for the harshest penalty handed out in Canada since the death penalty was abolished, meaning the offender wouldn’t be eligible for full parole until he is 129 years old.

If you can't put him to death, I think this is an acceptable alternative, as long as he serves every day of it, until he is 129 years old.

I'd say he also needs to have pictures of the people he killed permanently mounted inside his cell, but, in my opinion, he's a psychopath and he wouldn't care in the least.

If you can't put him to death, I think this is an acceptable alternative, as long as he serves every day of it, until he is 129 years old.

I'd say he also needs to have pictures of the people he killed permanently mounted inside his cell, but, in my opinion, he's a psychopath and he wouldn't care in the least.
he's the type that would actually get off on that, imo. the level of premeditation and the other connotations in this should make it for him to be in the most miserable placement in prison forever

Back