• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
These are the times when I just looooove Pete Bondurant when he's dropping otters like furry little diamonds around here.

I need a couple of the laundry folding otters.

And the cute little ones too, snuggling and giggling.

http://www.livescience.com/57584-ancient-giant-otter-was-wolf-size.html
A fearsome, wolf-size otter with a large head and a powerful jaw once swam around the shallow, swampy waters of ancient China, likely hunting for clams and other shellfish, a new study finds.

The 6.2-million-year-old beast is among the largest otter species on record, the researchers in the new study said. At 110 lbs. (50 kilograms), the animal would have been about twice the size of the modern-day South American giant river otter (Pteronura brasiliensis) and about four times the size of the Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra), the researchers said.

"This extinct otter is larger than all living otters," said study lead researcher Xiaoming Wang, a curator of vertebrate paleontology at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County in California.

Researchers discovered the otter's remains in 2010, after a Chinese and U.S. field team found a nearly complete skull in Shuitangba quarry, located in southwestern China.

"The skull was unlike [that of] any other animals found so far, and that's when we realized that this is something unique and important," Wang told Live Science.
[....]
"Because the skull was preserved in soft brown coal, it has been badly crushed into a pancake-like shape during the compaction of soft sediments," Wang said.

By using a computed tomography (CT) scanner, study co-author Stuart White, a professor emeritus of maxillofacial radiology at the University of California, Los Angeles, was able to digitally restore the skull's 3D shape. Wang compared the reconstruction to "playing a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle, only to be done by computer mouse rather than by hands."
[....]
A cranial analysis showed that while the skull of the newly discovered creature is like that of an otter, it has badger-like teeth, Wang said. This inspired the researchers to name the newfound species Siamogale melilutra, because "meles" is Latin for badger and "lutra" is Latin for otter, Wang said.

S. melilutra belongs to an "obscure group of extinct otter in East Asia [that] diverged early from the main otter lineage and formed a distinct group of its own," Wang said. Until now, researchers only knew about this lineage from fossilized teeth found in Thailand, the scientists said.
[....]
It's unclear why S. melilutra was so big, the researchers said. Usually, when carnivores evolve to be large, it's so that they have the strength to subdue prey, Wang said.

"But in our fossil otter, it is more likely a mollusk eater, and its powerful skull and jaws may be designed to crack tough shells of clams," he said.

Wang noted that modern sea otters also crack mollusks. But in addition to using their powerful teeth, these modern species also use tools — that is, rocks — to smash open the shells. [10 Animals That Use Tools]

"Perhaps our fossil otter had not learned to use rocks, and instead [would] apply brute strength to crush hard shells," Wang said.
[....]
"We are working to answer questions regarding its paleobiology, like, 'How did it swim? How did it move on the ground? Why is it so large?'"

The study was published online today (Jan. 23) in the Journal of Systematic Paleontology.
Siamogale-illustration-1.jpg

Now I want an otter! It rains buckets down here; they could swim in my back yard.
I saw one when I was up in Yankee land (in N.H.). I was sitting by a YUGE lake...and here he comes! He was pouncing around, hippity hop along the shore line. He stopped, looked at me and went hippity hop down to the water. He was ADORABLE!
I won't have any otter pet! He or she played in the water for about an hour; lifting up to eyeball me and made a strange noise...chitter, squeak, chitter squeak...the dived down. Up and down, up and down. He could curl around my neck...like a mink stole.

[QUOTE="carolinablue, post: 1059217, member: 2458" He could curl around my neck...like a mink stole.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't trust one near my face even if I raised it from a baby: like their brethern the weasels, badgers and wolverines they go psyhco manic berserk in play mode for no known reason and have very sharp teeth
[doublepost=1489099639,1489098647][/doublepost]

Latest posts

Back