• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/cri...igh-doesn-count-texas/LLgiTlTgXoikkRY2fAgeZN/
After Maryam Roland, a public high school teacher in Ysleta, in El Paso, tested positive for marijuana use in 2015, the State Board for Educator Certification sought to suspend her license for two years. In her defense, Roland argued that because she’d smoked the pot during a vacation in Colorado, where the drug has been legal for recreational use since 2013, she had done nothing wrong.

Such explanations typically have not met with success, attorneys said. In an opinion released earlier this month, however, a Texas judge agreed with Roland, comparing punishing her for using pot in Colorado to penalizing someone after returning from a vacation in Las Vegas.

“Possession of a usable quantity of marijuana is a criminal offense in Texas, but so is gambling,” Administrative Law Judge William Newchurch wrote. But the court “would not recommend that the Board find a teacher unworthy to instruct in Texas because she legally gambled in Nevada.”

Paul Armentano, deputy director for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws — NORML — said it was the first he’d heard of a judge siding with an employee in such a claim. “I think it’s a big deal,” he said.
[....]
Roland’s case, they add, also raises complicated questions about the government’s reach in monitoring a professional’s behavior that, like Roland’s, is non-criminal, off-the-job and did not affect her work.

While Texas administrative courts can determine facts, a judge’s opinion, called a proposal for decision, is advisory; the licensing agency can either accept or reject it. Either side can then appeal to state district court.

Lauren Callahan, a spokeswoman for the Texas Education Agency, said she could not comment on the case because it is on-going. Roland’s attorney, Nicholas Enoch, also declined to comment pending the educator certification board’s final decision, which will likely come this spring. He said Roland would not speak on the case, either.
[....]
Lauren Davis, a Denver attorney specializing in marijuana laws, said even in Colorado, where recreational and medical pot use is legal, courts have sided with employers who have fired workers for failing marijuana drug tests. Often, she said, companies cite policies prohibiting an employee from violating federal law, which still lists marijuana as an illegal narcotic.

In his 16-page decision, however, Newchurch concluded Roland hadn’t broken any Texas laws or local policies that would lead to a sanction against her license. (Attorneys for the state licensing board did not bring up federal law.) The judge noted, for example, that while Ysleta’s district policy prohibited marijuana, it specified only that employees couldn’t use or possess it during work hours at school.

And “There is no evidence that (Roland’s) behavior…suggested she was under the influence of marijuana” at school, Newchurch wrote.

The judge also pointed out that district policies called for drug testing only as part of a random screening, after an accident or based on reasonable suspicion. He found that none of those conditions were met in Roland’s case. Because Roland hadn’t used marijuana in Texas so she’d broken no state law, either, Newchurch reasoned.

Finally, he wrote, the teacher licensing board’s lawyers hadn’t made a good case that Roland’s legal Rocky Mountain high made her unfit to teach Texas students: “Aside from her limited marijuana consumption in Colorado, the evidence does not show that (she) engaged in any other conduct that even arguably would render her unworthy to instruct.”

Giana Ortiz, an Arlington attorney specializing in employment law, said that while Newchurch’s decision ultimately may not stand, the question behind it will persist: “Can it be considered unethical for a Texas teacher to smoke marijuana in a state where it’s legal?”

I cut out a lot, so it might be worth reading the entire article if you're interested in this subject.

Fucking government sometimes ... Legalise it everywhere already. This woman could lose her whole livelihood. What a fucking shame.

Yeah, but we just turned back the clocks on that.

November 9th, I believe.

Here's hoping the Cheetoh leaves our weed and reproductive rights intact.

I'm not holding my breath, however. :(

I agree. I just hope this was not the last hurrah before prohibition 4:20 sets in....when it is only barely legal as is....
My prediction is that the pendulum has swung; seriously law enforcement is too busy with opiates to worry about what's green and natural.

*fingers crossed*

I see what you did, there.

It was YUGE.
My prediction is that the pendulum has swung; seriously law enforcement is too busy with opiates to worry about what's green and natural.

*fingers crossed*

From your keyboard to God's ear.

I mean, I live in a red state where weed will likely not be legalized for some time if ever. But we have drive through daiquiri stands. Because safety.

But weed is bad, mmkay?

From your keyboard to God's ear.

I mean, I live in a red state where weed will likely not be legalized for some time if ever. But we have drive through daiquiri stands. Because safety.

But weed is bad, mmkay?
What? Those drive through mixed drink stands were the stuff of legend when I was in college--they still exist?

What? Those drive through mixed drink stands were the stuff of legend when I was in college--they still exist?
Yes. They do. There is one about 3/4 mile from my house.

You see, it is the piece of cellophane tape artfully placed over the strawhole that will ensure no shenanigans until one is at home and no longer operating a motor vehicle.... tape. Scotch Tape, ffs.

@LarzlovesJahi : where'd you go to school?

Yes. They do. There is one about 3/4 mile from my house.

You see, it is the piece of cellophane tape artfully placed over the strawhole that will ensure no shenanigans until one is at home and no longer operating a motor vehicle.... tape. Scotch Tape, ffs.

@LarzlovesJahi : where'd you go to school?
Oh, waaaaay to long ago I started at Carnegie Mellon...didn't finish up there, but had tons of fun.

Wow. Nice school. Liberal Arts, I presume?

And our lil ole Looziana "likker me up good" stands were the stuff of legend in PA?

We are proud, lol.
Yup, liberal arts. Could bore you with my knowledge of art history, history and a touch of philosophy.

As for my knowledge of Louisiana, I went to school with a buddy from down your way. With any luck I just might make it down there to experience the joy and wonder of a state that makes celebration a priority.

Yup, liberal arts. Could bore you with my knowledge of art history, history and a touch of philosophy.

As for my knowledge of Louisiana, I went to school with a buddy from down your way. With any luck I just might make it down there to experience the joy and wonder of a state that makes celebration a priority.

I'll give you that.

We have crap roads and schools. But we party, man....oh yes we do! ;)

Back