• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
I have a horrible suspicion this story may be up without names from when it happened last year, but I cannot find the earlier story. Please report to combine, if you can!

A jury asked for a "leniency" for a 17-year-old boy they convicted of stabbing an ex-friend to death in east London.

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of the murder of Charlie Kutyauripo, 16, following a retrial.

In a rare move, the jury sent a note to "recommend the defendant leniency" to the judge, before delivering its unanimous verdict.

The incident was captured on CCTV and witnessed by several people who had been attending an invite-only birthday party, which was a no-alcohol policy and parents manning the doors.

The court heard the two boys had been friends but fell out in a row over a tracksuit the defendant had not given back to Charlie.

The youth claimed his actions were in self-defence, saying Charlie was a member of the Hainault gang.

Giving evidence, the defendant claimed threats against him had been placed on social media before the party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38693106

The defendant said he armed himself because he was expecting gang members who had attacked him twice before, due to a previous relationship with a girl, to be at the party.

No alcohol and parents at the door isn't going to help when you invite bloody gang-members to your party.

I agree it is very sad. But there is no real explanation why the teen deserves leniency.
He armed himself with a knife before attending a party. He knew the victim belonged to a gang. He claimed he was threatened.
He could have decided not to attend the party in order to avoid a fight.
He could have asked an adult chaperone for assistance. That's why they attend.
How much more leniency does he need from a notoriously lenient court system?

Back