• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Podargus

Reality Bites
2148v1g.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-caught-stealing-real-life-pot-gold-worth/story?id=43872593

An armored truck company was making a pickup and left the back of the truck open and unattended in front of 48 West 48th St. between 5th and 6th avenues. In the time the truck was left alone, a man was able to walk up and make off with some of its precious cargo

In surveillance footage released by the New York Police Department, a man walks up to the back of the truck, grabs the bucket, and shuffles off with it in broad daylight. At first, he's about to walk past the truck, but then he notices the unattended bucket and makes a turn to grab it. The video shows two men chatting in front of the truck as the suspect walks away with the gold.
The men don't seem to notice the gold disappearing. In the footage, the thief can be seen struggling under the weight of the loot.
The NYPD is still looking for the thief. He is described as a Hispanic male who is about 5 feet 6 inches tall, 150 pounds and between 50 and 60 years old.

CCTV at this link.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/29/us/daring-gold-theft-ny-trnd/

Last edited:
I do think there's going to be some unemployed armored truck drivers.

Takes some balls to just pick it up and walk off with it like it's just what you do when you see unaccompanied gold. I'd be expecting to get a bullet in the back as I'm walking away.

I can't help it... this is cracking me up! The first time he tries to do anything with that gold he's so completely busted. I'm with @cubby, that shit took balls! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Perhaps he's planning on burying it somewhere and then sending the bank a hilariously unhelpful treasure map.

Gold? as in coins, bars, nuggets?

In my minds eye, I'm now seeing a mule tied outside with panning tools hanging all over it.

I cut this bit out of my OP.

The aluminum pail was filled with 86 pounds of gold flakes, worth an estimated $1.6 million.
[doublepost=1480556673,1480556463][/doublepost]Hmmmm. More info. This happened 8 weeks ago. Looks like this guy got away with the goods.

It happened around 4:30 p.m. back on Sept. 29 as the armored truck was parked on West 48th Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues.

The truck was left unattended for a short time, and the suspect jumped on the opportunity.

“The helpers actually left the truck to do a pick up, and the one that was securing the vehicle from the rear stepped away,” Detective Martin Pastor, from the NYPD’s Major Case Squad, told 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa.

Police said the man is seen on surveillance video scoping out the truck, that had its back door open. He then grabs an 86-pound, unmarked and sealed black metal bucket containing $1.6 million-worth of gold flakes, police said.

He lugged the bucket up the street, heading east on West 438th Street toward Third Avenue, making his way through the crowds of people who didn’t notice him carrying the five-gallon pail, police said.

At one point, the heavy weight of the bucket catches up with him as he’s seen stopping, putting it down and eventually picking it back up again. He then gets into a white Ford sedan.

Police said the man’s entire trip, usually considered to be about a 10-minute walk, took an hour.

The bucket’s disappearance was noticed after the driver returned to the truck and sat on another bucket in the rear, only realizing the bucket was missing because that’s the bucket he used to rest his feet while he sat, CBS2’s Raegan Medgie reported.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/thief-stol...-flakes-worth-16m-may-be-in-florida/359222688

Thank god for the vigilance of these guards, eh? "Where's my footrest? D'oh!"

Last edited:
The aluminum pail was filled with 86 pounds of gold flakes, worth an estimated $1.6 million.

I still see that mule tied out front while the crusty old timer inside the bank having his gold weighed and exchanged for cash.

That bucket weighed half as much as he did. That would have been something to see.

--Al

He probably sold it for 10 grand and thought he hit the lottery.

As for the guards...or rather useless bystanders in this case...
hope it is coming out of their pay...lol!

Although I'm disappointed to l find out he wasn't a leprechaun, I'm rooting for the ballsy fuck!

Run Julio Run! I would have just liked to see him carrying a 90 pound bucket of gold through New York City. Dude has cojones!

Back