• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I almost feel bad for this kid. He did something very, very dumb, and it cost an infant his life. I might be in the minority here, but my gut is telling me this wasn't malicious. Should he face jail time? Yes, he was exceptionally negligent with a deadly weapon. But I just don't think he did it on purpose.
I agree, but I wonder what prison can do to punish him that his mind won't. I can just imagine the horror and guilt he is feeling.

This is the area the I grew up in. I remember my sister calling me right after this happened as it was right down the street from her house. Guy is a fucking moron.

Henry W. Bartle was sentenced to up to four years in state prison this morning for shooting infant Nathaniel Hitt after the judge and prosecutors agreed that the boy's death was not intentional.

Bartle, age 18, was also granted Youthful Offender status due to his age. His manslaughter conviction will therefore not be part of his adult criminal record.

Bartle was sentenced to 1 1/3 to four years in state prison on one count of second-degree manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child. Bartle was cleaning his shotgun in his lap at his residence on West Dominick Street on Nov. 28 with his girlfriend and her son, the 6-month-old Hitt, sitting nearby. Bartle was smoking marijuana.

At some point, Bartle loaded the weapon, and it accidentally went off when he tried to stand up.

Hitt was shot point blank. He died immediately.

"Mr. Bartle is deeply and, I believe, genuinely remorseful," said Assistant District Attorney Joshua Bauer, the prosecutor, this morning.

He said Bartle did not intend to shoot and kill the infant.

"It's also clear to us that Mr. Bartle acted with wanton recklessness...off the charts."

Bartle declined to speak on his own behalf.

Donalty said that a lot of Bartle's actions were reckless — from loading the shotgun to smoking marijuana. Donalty also said they were a result of "lack of insight...generally a reflection of youth."

Due to his young age, Donalty said he was required by law to consider Youthful Offender status. Bartle will still serve his prison sentence, but the conviction will not be on his record.

http://romesentinel.com/public-safe...in-babys-death/QBqpcu!uI03wh6avWTs14uqF3dq7A/

Back