• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/malnourished-girls-found-south-dakota-reservation-43859618

The home where the girls were found has several residents, including Roberta Featherman and Harold Red Owl Sr., both of whom authorities say were the victims' primary care givers. Records show that about three months before the seven arrests, the girls' mother "dropped off" the 3-year-old child with her mother, Roberta Featherman, and the 2-year-old child with her sister, Darshan Featherman.

A 10-year-old girl who lived at the home told the FBI agent that Roberta Featherman and Red Owl "did not like to feed the girls too much and that many other people saw the victims and 'don't like it' but did nothing to help," according to the affidavit. The 10-year-old girl and the 17-year-old sister of the victims were later removed from the home.

A week after the girls were discovered, federal agents searched the home and found plenty of food in bedrooms. Red Owl told the FBI agent that the food was hidden in the bedrooms because the victims would "steal" it.

Darshan Featherman, Roberta Featherman and Red Owl are charged with assault resulting in serious bodily injury. Terry Featherman, Rainbow Spoonhunter, Tressa Means Featherman and Jeff Shoulders are charged with concealing a felony. All pleaded not guilty on Nov. 22.

Red Owl's attorney declined to comment on the case. Shoulders's attorney, George Grassby, said he has requested copies of all police reports involved in the case. Attorneys for the other five did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

This is so awful. Those babies were near death. I can't imagine the food being hidden in bedrooms because the kids would steal it. For God's sake just feed the kids. I can see limiting snacks within reason but not with holding meals/food for any reason. It makes it an even harder read...that SEVEN adults lived in that house...many didn't agree with what was being done to the babies...but not a damn one did any thing about it. How f***ked up is that. That little one with a bed sore all the way to the bone...omg how much pain she was in. Too weak from lack of nourishment to even roll over or change position. The image in my head...just wow.

Sick ass bitches. of course the babies steal food.
A natural survival technique...until they were starved to the point they could no longer roll over or move to try to "steal" food. These kids would have been better off in the wild where they at least might have had berries or roots to eat. I could handle feral instead of starved a bit better.

Stealing food!?????? Babies and stealing shouldn't even be in the same fucking sentence! What the fuck! This shit pisses me off!!! 7 adults in that home and they all failed those babies
Sickening. Right now I am out of phone minutes until tomarrow just so i could feed my kids... Been out since monday. Im able to use free wifi to go on this site. But i used my phone money to get groceries. But besides the point...It just makes me so sick that noone in that god forsaken house had a pair to help them and feed them! No one could pick up a phone and call the police and report them!? Sick sick sick!!!!! I hope the babies recover and never get to see any of those damn monsters again

Lock all them up!never feed them again(ya wishful thinking)

It's not called stealing, it's called surviving on their own cause the adults in the house were too ________ to do provide them basic needs (fill in the blank cause I can't think of the correct word to use but many come to mind!)

I bet every one of the adults are 'well fed' if you catch my drift

FBI affidavit on the case:
http://www.indianz.com/News/2016/11/30/fbiaffidavit112216.pdf

Darshan admitted paying Roberta (her mother, grandmother of the children) in alcohol to babysit.

No one who knew about the starving children did anything because either the grandmother was so domineering or "the child wasn't my responsibility".
[doublepost=1494615107,1480930229][/doublepost]http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...cle_636eacdc-2608-5b6e-81e0-32d83a517213.html
A Pine Ridge woman facing criminal charges after two emaciated toddlers were found in her home on Nov. 11 has asked the U.S. District Court in Rapid City to throw out statements she made to law enforcement.

Roberta Featherman, 50, is charged with double counts of assault resulting in serious bodily injury and felony child abuse and neglect in relation to the children’s condition. She could face up to life in prison if convicted. She has pleaded not guilty.

[...]
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Featherman admitted to FBI agents that she noticed the toddlers were not in good condition, yet did not seek medical help; that she fed them just a couple of times; and that she knew they and other children in her home had head lice.

Lorie Melone, Featherman's attorney, asked the court to exclude from evidence the statements her client gave to the FBI. Melone said last month that the agents did not inform Featherman during the interview Nov. 18 what charges she was facing.

She acknowledged Featherman had waived her right to remain silent but said, “If the defendant does not know the charges of which she is being detained, then how can she understand the consequences of the decision to abandon her right to remain silent?”

Melone said also that during the interview, Featherman was trying to stop drinking, which could have impaired her decision making. The audio recording of the interview shows Featherman acting “confused at the time of her waiver.”

However, in a written response, Assistant U.S. Attorney Megan Poppen said the agents’ 20-minute interview with Featherman focused on the children’s abuse, so there was no confusion about the subject of the conversation.

And Featherman’s claim of struggling with alcohol withdrawal can be quickly dismissed after hearing her full recorded interview, Poppen said.

“Defendant was trying to be deceptive, rather than displaying confusion,” Poppen said.

The presiding judge could deny Featherman’s request or set a hearing on the matter.

Poppen’s response also provided previously undisclosed details about the case. It said Featherman was found by tribal police under the basement stairs of her Potato Creek home, passed out and hiding.

The victims’ father was identified as Isaac White Crane, 31, who is serving time in federal prison. He was convicted in 2015 of assault with a dangerous weapon after hitting the girls’ mother, Darcel Featherman, with the handle and nonserrated edge of a knife, then punching and kicking her while she was four months pregnant.

Darcel Featherman reportedly left her 3-year-old daughter in the care of her mother, Roberta Featherman, and the younger one with her sister Darshan Featherman.

Darshan Featherman and a man who lived with Roberta Featherman are facing the same charges as Roberta Featherman. Four other people, who authorities say witnessed the children’s condition but did nothing, are charged with felony child abuse and neglect.

All have pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Last edited:
Some native are so strong ... so proud ... and then there are people like this. It sucks when abuse and dysfunction span generations.

Well damn im glad the cops didn't fuck around and not charge anybody just because there were so many people in the the house that they couldn't decide exactly who did it. Yall know we've seen that shit happen!

The bitch wants her statements thrown out cuz she didn't know what charges she was facing!? Well the dumb bitch shouldn't have waved her right to remain silent, then. Ignorance is no excuse, cunt!

Well damn im glad the cops didn't fuck around and not charge anybody just because there were so many people in the the house that they couldn't decide exactly who did it. Yall know we've seen that shit happen!
Read the FBI affidavit above. It was easy to press charges. Every adult in the house admitted they knew what was going on but were too scared of the old drunken harridan grandmother or simply "it wasn't my responsibility".
Truth is, they just wanted to drink.
Their 10 year old sister was also rescued. She wasn't starving, just lice ridden and neglected. Probably slapped around too.

Last edited:
Some native are so strong ... so proud ... and then there are people like this. It sucks when abuse and dysfunction span generations.
What is also sad is that the children because they are Native American have to be placed in pre-adoptive Native American homes (if BM"s rights are terminated or surrendered). The tribe can contest any placement of the children in non Native American Homes. The children were so young that the starvation and neglect has probable long lasting effects for them.

What is also sad is that the children because they are Native American have to be placed in pre-adoptive Native American homes (if BM"s rights are terminated or surrendered). The tribe can contest any placement of the children in non Native American Homes. The children were so young that the starvation and neglect has probable long lasting effects for them.
why would that be sad? I have a few friends that are foster mothers in cases like this and they are in the best homes they possibly could be

why would that be sad? I have a few friends that are foster mothers in cases like this and they are in the best homes they possibly could be
I meant that the children of Native Americans can not be adopted by White parents if the tribe contests. There was a heartbreaking story years ago of a toddler that was removed from her White adoptive home to be returned to the tribe since the father was Native American (the mother was not). I adopted one of my children out of the foster care system so I agree that there are many amazing foster homes and adoptive homes out there. having worked in the FC system I also know many people are in it for the money as well.

I meant that the children of Native Americans can not be adopted by White parents if the tribe contests. There was a heartbreaking story years ago of a toddler that was removed from her White adoptive home to be returned to the tribe since the father was Native American (the mother was not). I adopted one of my children out of the foster care system so I agree that there are many amazing foster homes and adoptive homes out there. having worked in the FC system I also know many people are in it for the money as well.
I know all about that story and they should have deservedly lost. They bought that baby from an unstable woman known to be a mooch. They did everything to scar that poor little girl for life instead of just letting her go to her family. She will grow up and hate them. It's interesting that every state has laws about selling children and that you see quite a few crackheads make the news here that tried to sell their baby for 1,000 but in this case she provably got 40,000 from these people and many think probably double that amount.
I feel that native children belong in good native homes period. The amount of extra vetting than someone usually has to go through to foster a native child is more than the average white foster parents for non native children. I agree there are many people that are in it for the money and lets do a list of the ones busted and their backgrounds.

Last edited:
Some native are so strong ... so proud

Largely depends on the tribe. Sadly the majority of the sioux people are pitiful and sad and plagued by a litany of monumental problems, and it's all wrapped up in a nice big bow known as, "fuck the white man, he's responsible for all our problems".

The Indian Welfare Act initially was an important and sensible thing, but its usage today when it comes to kids needing a placement is fucking vomit inducing. It's disgusting how the tribe handles things when it comes to this and showcases their extreme racist views towards whites.

I'm still giggling about "Rainbow Spoonhunter".

This is a tragic case though. If you can't or won't feed children in your care, ask for help, or hand them off to someone who will. Sounds to me like the family didn't have enough money for food and saw these little ones as a threat to their resources.

Well.. you'll eat in jail.. and hopefully these kids are recovering.

in this case, these people deserved to be charged and were but your generalizations are why the laws were created.
[doublepost=1494688035,1494687982][/doublepost]
I'm still giggling about "Rainbow Spoonhunter".

This is a tragic case though. If you can't or won't feed children in your care, ask for help, or hand them off to someone who will. Sounds to me like the family didn't have enough money for food and saw these little ones as a threat to their resources.

Well.. you'll eat in jail.. and hopefully these kids are recovering.
this case had nothing with the ability to feed the kids it was abuse

Last edited:
this case had nothing with the ability to feed the kids it was abuse

Yes, it was abuse, and I'm not excusing it as such; I'm saying it sounds like the people in charge of these kids saw them as competition for food. That's sad, stupid, a little crazy, and not a valid defense or excuse for what they did.

13lbs...my Yorkshire Terrier weighs 12.5lbs and you know how little those things are. I may have forgotten to feed myself sometimes when I was drinking but with seven adults in the house there is no fucking excuse or reason for this.

Sounds to me like the family didn't have enough money for food
Didn't you read the affidavits and news articles?

Featherman admitted to FBI agents that she noticed the toddlers were not in good condition, yet did not seek medical help; that she fed them just a couple of times; and that she knew they and other children in her home had head lice.

Featherman was found by tribal police under the basement stairs of her Potato Creek home, passed out and hiding.

The original reason for the police visit was a drunken brawl.
The SEVEN adults in the house had food. They admitted locking up their food because the toddlers were stealing it. Their nine year old sister was not starved to the point of death. The adults were not going hungry. Their grandmother never told police there was not enough food. And how much food does it take to keep a 2 and 3 yr old alive anyway? Seven adults between them could come up with enough nourishment for two toddlers. If they cared.
No one would even give the kids a proper bed or bedclothes. They weren't even clothed when police found them on the floor under dirty blankets. In winter time, in South Dakota.
Seems to me it takes more effort to ignore starving children than to stumble into the kitchen and fix a bit of bread and peanut butter.
I wonder how many of the children & adults in that house have fetal alcohol syndrome?

Let me clarify what I said earlier, because I can't edit it.

"If you can't or won't feed children in your care, ask for help, or hand them off to someone who will. Sounds to me like the family didn't have enough money for food and saw these little ones as a threat to their resources."

Obviously they were choosing not to feed these specific children. These kids are being targeted.

It sounds like money that could have been spent on food, if necessary, was going towards booze instead.

As Muriel said, it'd be easy for seven adults to cut enough out of their own meals to keep kids this tiny fed, if they wanted to. Heck, there have been times my kids got dinner and I got little or nothing. It's a choice you make if you must.

My statement was meant to suggest these kids were unwelcome, and were treated as unwelcome, right down to being unfed and neglected. They were purposefully deprived and viewed with hostility.

It's clear from the articles, as well as the presence of seven grown adults, there was food in the house and the kids weren't allowed free access to it.

When I said there wasn't enough money for food, and they viewed the kids as competition.. I meant they thought these kids were a burden on their food budget, and weren't willing to feed them.

They could've given up some drinking to feed themselves or the kids better, but they weren't making great choices.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...cle_6027a021-097f-5019-b358-4f37224c4506.html
The charges against two people accused of abusing two toddlers found emaciated on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in November are set to be dismissed under plea deals with federal prosecutors.
The children, who are now under the custody of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, are in foster care, said Karin Eagle, media relations officer for the tribe. The girls have gained weight and are at the ideal weight for their age or close to it, she said.
Featherman, in a statement submitted to the court on Friday, admitted only seeing the toddlers several months before police found them, “when they appeared healthy.”
She has agreed to plead guilty on Thursday to a modified charge of dispensing intoxicants in Indian country, an offense punishable by up to a year in federal prison. Her child abuse charges will be dismissed.

you really seem very involved in this case and the welfare of the kids so I'm not too sure why you crapped on every logical and knowledgeable post I made here as well as insulted all the dedicated and intelligent NA women that take children like this into their homes nor did I catch the rainbow spoon hunter post or who it was directed to since you pulled it and I saw it only because someone quoted it and giggled add really hope it wasn't directed at me but have that funny feeling since the ignorant comments by yourself and a couple of others that seem oh tilted. Somehow I don't think a whole city of people would be generalized by some lowlifes that deserved to be charged and jailed. I will tell you I know people up on Pine Ridge and could find out who is fostering those kids. since this was a thread you've repeatedly come back to instead of all the rapes and murders of babies that have happened in the country over the last year, I could contact them if you want to donate anything to these kids and get you official receipts for items and everything.
But I digress: I really wish the granma that starved these kids had gotten jail time and is no longer allowed around them this was looking more like a grudge thing against one of their parents than simple drunken craven indifference.

Last edited:
@PsychoKitty, grandma hasn't gone to trial or made a plea deal yet.

Actually, no, I'm not "really very involved", didn't give you craps. It's one of my many google alerts.
I think you've mistaken me for someone else.

Last edited:
you really seem very involved in this case and the welfare of the kids so I'm not too sure why you crapped on every logical and knowledgeable post I made here as well as insulted all the dedicated and intelligent NA women that take children like this into their homes nor did I catch the rainbow spoon hunter post or who it was directed to since you pulled it and I saw it only because someone quoted it and giggled add really hope it wasn't directed at me but have that funny feeling since the ignorant comments by yourself and a couple of others that seem oh tilted. Somehow I don't think a whole city of people would be generalized by some lowlifes that deserved to be charged and jailed. I will tell you I know people up on Pine Ridge and could find out who is fostering those kids. since this was a thread you've repeatedly come back to instead of all the rapes and murders of babies that have happened in the country over the last year, I could contact them if you want to donate anything to these kids and get you official receipts for items and everything.
But I digress: I really wish the granma that starved these kids had gotten jail time and is no longer allowed around them this was looking more like a grudge thing against one of their parents than simple drunken craven indifference.

Foster parents make BANK! And even without the mass payments for that foster parent role, natives get free healthcare on the rez and huge paychecks for having indian rights. These people dont need a handout.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...cle_5ead84cd-5d4f-5858-be17-5b7c8eb5b446.html
September 16 2017
[...]
Darcel Featherman, 34, will plead guilty to felony child abuse and neglect on Sept. 29 under a plea deal, according to federal court records. Featherman, of Kyle, admitted giving the toddlers to her mother and sister despite knowing the women wouldn’t be able to properly care for them.

When Featherman turned over the girls in the spring of 2016, she knew her mother was a “lifelong alcoholic with anger issues,” according a statement she submitted to the court. She knew also that her sister was a “methamphetamine user and an alcoholic.”

After leaving the children — her seventh and eighth biological children — Featherman spent time in Rapid City and California. She admitted not checking up on her daughters or providing subsequent care.

Tribal police found the toddlers “nearly starved to death” Nov. 11 when they responded to a call at the Potato Creek home of Featherman’s mother, Roberta Featherman, 50. The girls, age 3 and 2, both weighed about 13 pounds and had limited movement.

The younger child “could only hold her head up for a few moments before she had to resume laying (sic) down,” the document reads.

The older child, meanwhile, had a bed sore on her hip that exposed the bone. She exhibited light sensitivity issues, and was later found to be blind due to “chronic non-accidental trauma to her brain.”
[...]

Featherman’s mother and sister, Darshan Featherman, 32, were also found at the Potato Creek residence. Both were charged with assault resulting in serious bodily injury, punishable by up to life in prison, and felony child abuse and neglect, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 15 years.

Darcel Featherman was initially charged with two counts of felony child abuse and neglect. Her three other charges, related to Social Security misconduct, will be dismissed under her plea deal.

She has been granted conditional release from jail, whereas her mother and sister are still detained at the Pennington County Jail.
[...]
The children have been placed under the custody of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, according to Karin Eagle, spokeswoman for the tribe. The girls, who are in foster care, have gained weight and were around the ideal weight for their age, she said.

Back