• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Podargus

Reality Bites
23lxgeb.jpg

Police investigating a notorious gang in a city on California's central coast issued a fake news release that the chief credited with saving two men by deceiving gang members who wanted to kill them, but the ruse was criticized by news organizations that reported it as fact.

Santa Maria Police Chief Ralph Martin defended the rare tactic when it came to light, saying he had never done such a thing in his 43-year career, but he wouldn't rule out doing it again.

"It was a moral and ethical decision, and I stand by it," Martin said Friday. "I am keenly aware and sensitive to the community and the media. I also had 21 bodies lying in the city in the last 15 months."

The newspaper and local television stations were unaware that the information in the release was false when they reported that two men, Jose Santos Melendez, 22, and Jose Marino Melendez, 23, had been picked up for identity theft and handed over to immigration authorities.

In fact, detectives eavesdropping on the deadly MS-13 gang had raced to the home of the two cousins in nearby Guadalupe and took them into protective custody after learning hit men were on their way there.

Kendra Martinez, news director at KSBY-TV, said she was "deeply troubled" that police misled the public and news organizations.

Boo fucking hoo.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-fake-news-california-20161203-story.html

Last edited:
Sorry, even with all the police executions of inocen,t unarmed citizens, they aren't any where near as corrupt or vile as the media.
[doublepost=1480840974,1480840538][/doublepost]I wouldn't apologize if i was that chief

I think the media is upset because they're supposed to decide what lies they tell us. They think the cops are moving in on their turf.

Umm... if they were putting them into protective custody anyway, why did they need the other gang members to think they were arrested?

I'm confused.

Umm... if they were putting them into protective custody anyway, why did they need the other gang members to think they were arrested?

I'm confused.

It was reported that the 2 guys were deported. I assume a report of their arrest wouldn't have stopped the assassination attempts.

MS13 could probably kill them easier in prison than outside.

Idk. I didn't convince myself with that answer. o_O

I'm confused.

Protective custody would've protected those guys for so long, especially if they were informants. Fooling the other gang members into thinking they were arrested would've halted their search for them since it was noted that hit-men were on the way to execute them when they were "arrested".

Am I missing something here? Who the hell was saved? Gang members!!!!???? Personally, I think most would rather have saved the tax dollars...

Last edited:
In fact, detectives eavesdropping on the deadly MS-13 gang had raced to the home of the two cousins in nearby Guadalupe and took them into protective custody after learning hit men were on their way there.

I would hope that the only reason they saved their asses was because they are planning on turning informants. Otherwise, honestly, why bother?

Media should not be crying.
This story gave them more traction and a chance for spin off stories easily.
Maybe if they weren't so damned lazy they would see the opportunities.

Lead with Police say...
or according to police...

then when it comes out you can say...

Here is the rest of an earlier story.

Simple Bobbleheads

Am I missing something here? Who the hell was saved? Gang members!!!!???? Personally, I think most would rather have saved the tax dollars...
Need more intell ♡
[doublepost=1481275341,1481275032][/doublepost]
Using wiretaps and surveillance, police learned that the Melendez men, members of a rival gang who lost another cousin to violence seven months earlier, were about to be killed, Martin said.

Police concluded they would expose their long-running Operation Matador if they made arrests, so they took the cousins into protective custody before the MS-13 hit men arrived. Figuring the would-be killers might harm family members if they thought the men were in hiding, police fabricated the news release about their arrests.

After MS-13 gang members returned the next day looking for the two, police overheard a phone conversation with them discussing the news report that the men had been arrested for identity theft.

Martin said it bought investigators three weeks to gather evidence that led to the arrest of 17 gang members on charges of 10 murders and plots to kill eight others, including the two cousins, who remain under protection.

Back