• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://ktla.com/2016/08/23/los-angeles-mother-arrested-on-suspicion-of-killing-her-11-year-old-son/

A 39-year-old mother was arrested in connection with the death of her son on Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Veronica Aguilar is accused of child endangerment resulting in death, police said. Rampart Patrol officers were called to a home in the 2100 block of Santa Ynez Street around 2:15 p.m. on Monday.

When officers arrived Jose Pinzon, Aguilar's husband, said that his wife told him that her 11-year-old son was dead. Pinzon lead the officers to the boy's body, which was wrapped in a blanket in a closet in the home, according to police.

Paramedics were called to the scene but it was too late to save the boy, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

An initial investigation revealed that the victim suffered from signs of malnutrition and physical abuse, according to police. Officials believe the boy had been dead for a few hours before police arrived.

The cause of death is unknown pending results from the Coroner's office.
[doublepost=1472141728,1472141599][/doublepost]http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-echo-park-boy-dead-20160824-snap-story.html

Aguilar has at least three other children, ages 14, 16 and 18, who were not at the home but were located and contacted by police, Melendez said. They were taken to a police station, and the minors were released to DCFS, he said.

An autopsy on the boy’s body was expected to take place Wednesday, he said.

The child had not attended classes in the Los Angeles Unified School District since 2012 and was thought to have possibly been in Mexico for some time, Melendez said. It was unclear whether the boy attended school in another district.

Terribly sad for the little boy and his siblings. The father HAD to be aware of the malnutrition and abuse...and did nothing to stop it. He deserves to be jailed also. This didn't happen over night. It was a pattern of behavior that started long before he was pulled from school. Makes me wonder if he was made to live in that closet...as no one had seen him and believed he had gone back to Mexico.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/08/25/autopsy-echo-park-death/

Gruesome details have emerged in the death of an 11-year-old Echo Park boy.

(...)

Authorities located the boy in the fetal position wrapped in a blanket in the closet so small he couldn’t extend his feet. It appeared he had been dead for several hours, detectives said.

Detectives said the boy was emaciated, had little hair and open sores on his body, all signs of years of abuse. The condition of the boy was so disturbing that counseling was offered to those who were at the crime scene. Officials hope to release results of an autopsy Friday.

According to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office, the boy has been identified as Yonaton Daniel Aguilar.​

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-yonatan-aguilar-death-records-dcfs-20160914-snap-story.html

The boy in the closet weighed 34 pounds.

When police officers removed the mirrored doors behind which Yonatan Daniel Aguilar had died hours earlier, they found a crumpled blanket on the ground, obscuring his emaciated body — pale and stiff, curled in a fetal position, with cuts on his face.

One officer lifted a corner of the blanket and two cockroaches crawled out. The child was so tiny that officers thought maybe he was 6 years old or so. But he was 11.

Details about the condition of Yonatan’s body when it was found last month in his Echo Park home were disclosed in more than 100 pages of heavily-redacted case records and police reports released to The Times by the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services this week.

The records show that Yonatan’s risk of abuse at home had been marked as “high” four times from 2009 to 2012 by a county program intended to guide social workers’ level of intervention.

The boy’s family had been the subject of six prior reports to DCFS, according to the department’s director, Philip L. Browning. Two reports in 2002 predated Yonatan’s birth and involved at least one of his three older siblings.

His mother, Veronica Aguilar, 39, pleaded not guilty last week to charges of murder and child abuse resulting in Yonatan’s death.

The department’s involvement with Yonatan began in October 2009, after a school nurse called the police because he had several 2- and 3-inch scratches on his face, case records show. Yonatan, then 4, told a police officer his mother was angry at him for getting in trouble at school and that she had slapped and scratched him.

Aguilar, denied hitting her son and said he might have gotten the scratches because he sleeps on the floor, according to the family’s case file.

Social workers calculated the family’s risk with a computer program that is meant to take statistical information to help guide their level of intervention. The program, known as Structured Decision Making, uses a list of multiple choice questions to collect information. The program scored Yonatan’s risk of abuse as “high” in 2009 and recommended that social workers “promote” the report about the boy to an open case, records show.

Social workers declined to open a case, saying the allegations of physical abuse were inconclusive. Aguilar, they said, denied slapping or scratching her son, was actively involved in her kids’ school and agreed to take parenting classes, records show.

Officials with the Los Angeles Police Department’s Juvenile Division told The Times last month that although allegations of physical abuse regarding Yonatan were reported to both DCFS and police, no police investigation was launched. They declined to provide details.

Det. Moses Castillo, the supervising detective on the case, said in an email Wednesday that the LAPD would make no further comments about the case. Yonatan’s autopsy report has been put on a security hold by law enforcement, and the cause of death could not be released, said Ed Winter, a spokesman for the L.A.county coroner’s office.

The county’s child abuse hotline received another call about Yonatan and one of his siblings in December 2011, alleging neglect.

The caller said Yonatan was born premature in Mexico, and that Aguilar had been advised to leave him in the hospital for a few months, case records state. She refused to do so and left three days after his birth. He suffered from an inability to control his bladder and bowel movements. (The records have the child’s name and ages redacted, but DCFS confirmed they were referring to Yonatan.)

On Dec. 18, 2011, Yonatan’s mother had heard him screaming and found him in the shower with his eyes closed and his teeth clenched, the shower running cold water. He was trying to wash his clothes because he had urinated on himself, records say.

When Aguilar tried to talk to him, Yonatan did not answer, so she called 911. Paramedics found him to be suffering from hypothermia and took him to the hospital, according to the records.

The boy was again deemed to be at a high risk of abuse, records show. Social workers did not open a case, saying neglect accusations were unfounded and that the mother took the proper steps in calling 911. The high-risk assessment, they said, was based on there being multiple children in the home and prior referrals — factors, DCFS spokespeople said Wednesday, that are weighted heavily, even when reports of abuse or neglect are unsubstantiated.

On March 15, 2012, Yonatan, a special education student with a learning disability, came to school with a black eye and told teachers conflicting stories about how he got it, records show. A school employee contacted DCFS, and police were alerted. No cases were opened.

Four days later, another teacher called DCFS. Yonatan, the teacher said, came to school dirty most of the time. He was always hungry, grabbing all the food he could from the cafeteria and bringing it into the classroom to eat, according to the case file.

Again, there was a high risk of abuse, records show. No case was opened and the allegation was called unfounded. Yonatan was being treated by a doctor and a therapist because of his food hoarding, and the teacher “called in a referral before discussing it with his principal,” social workers wrote.

The boy fell off the county’s radar after 2012, Browning said. There were no other reports about him, and DCFS does not have the legal right to inquire about a child without a report, he said.

By 2016, Yonatan and his siblings lived with their mother and stepfather in a one-bedroom residence on Santa Ynez Street. One child slept in a shed in the backyard, records show.

On Aug. 22, Yonatan’s stepfather, Jose Pinzon, reported the boy’s death to police. Officers found him frantic and crying in the parking lot of a nearby 7-Eleven.

When officers got to the family’s home, Aguilar was outside, walking a dog. After finding the body, records say, one of the officers grabbed the boy’s arm and shook it.

“Are you OK?” the officer tried asking. The boy’s arm was stiff.

Neighbors told police they had never seen a young boy at the home.

Yet DCFS will take away the children of parents who let them walk home from school and this little guy is starved to death, which is probably the least of what all happened to him.

Well fuck me sideways...I can't even comprehend this shit. I freak out when my kids won't eat their dinner....I'm like "but you're gonna starve!!!" I can't imagine not feeding them on purpose. How sad for this poor kid...how terriblely, unbearably, gut wrenchingly sad. What a compete OUTRAGE that this was allowed to happen considering all the complaints!!! Everyone involved should bee burned alive. All angles of this suck.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-yonatan-aguilar-court-records-20161026-story.html

For three years, the young boy was hidden in locked closets, sedated by liquid sleeping aids that authorities say were given to him by his mother.

When people asked Veronica Aguilar where her son was, she told them he had been placed in an institution in Mexico, according to court records. Only her three other children — two of whom slept on a bed just outside the closet door — knew the truth, and they said they were forbidden by their mother from saying anything, authorities say.

.....believed Aguilar’s efforts to hide the boy were so effective that even the boy’s stepfather, Jose Pinzon, didn’t know Yonatan lived with them all along.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...re-he-died-his-live-in-stepfather-didnt-know/

It was Aug. 22 when Aguilar allegedly told Pinzon the truth about Yonatan. After seeing the boy’s body, Pinzon ran out of the house and called police from a 7-11, according to the Times.

When detectives arrived, they interviewed Pinzon and the children in the same room. Pinzon exploded when he realized the children knew, reported the Times, which described the exchange from records:

“How can you do this to me?” he asked.

One of the children replied: “You were always at work, so you didn’t know.”

Pinzon then started crying.

“I carry a photo of him in my wallet,” he said, according to the records. “I’m the only one that cared for him.”

A public memorial was held for the boy at an Echo Park church last month, according to KTLA. Among the speakers was Moses Castillo, the lead detective in the case.

“Yonatan, I pledge to you that we will continue to tell your story in hopes that similar cases do not repeat again,” he told people who had gathered to remember the boy.

Pinzon also recalled his relationship with the boy.

“He’s still alive for me,” Pinzon said, “because I carry him in my heart.”

In this case it seems the stepfather is the only one who really cared about the poor child. Such a refreshing difference.

Mom had the other children terrified of her and she treated the dead boy like garbage so he just became this scary thing in the closet. She did not need to threaten the kids with the imaginary bogie man, because she had her own custom made bogie boy in the closet to terrify her children with.

Wow ... those poor children. Even if they weren't abused, they were still caught up in
a some kind of awful hating game. The therapy they will need to overcome that or otherwise live that down. We were so glad she wasn't abusing US...that we helped her or otherwise did nothing.

Did the caring stepfather ever ask to call or contact the boy supposedly living in Mexico? Did he never look through that small house enough to discover the missing boy? Not even repairing something? Were they so poor that all he could do was work like a mule to provide for the family and tune out the household discord the short time he was there? Because I bet that mother was yelling a lot unless she saved it all for her whipping boy.

Anyway...The surviving children are old enough to remember this for the rest of their lives. No amount of therapy will remove the haunting thought..."I was so scared, but if only I had told someone." Unless, they are heartless as mom. Then no amount of therapy will give them enough empathy. A lot of scenarios present themselves to the imagination..

I wonder what happened in her mind over that poor boy...all his pics he looks so happy and healthy....then no more pictures past what looks like age 8....so what the hell happened? ?

One of the kids was 18, he/she should be charged with a crime for his part in all this. I understand a mother manipulating/scaring minors into complying, but soon as one hits 18, they are an adult and 100% responsible for their own actions/inactions. Fuck em.

CPS has a FAR lower threshold for what constitutes abuse or when a parent should be considered unfit then i do, and i would guess than a large number of Americans.

@cubby @Satanica
A bizarre case is unfolding in a Los Angeles courtroom where a mother is accused of keeping her special-needs son locked away in a closet, ultimately causing his death.

His nickname growing up was "chubby."

But when detectives found 10-year-old Yonatan in a closet, he was a shocking 34 pounds.

"I saw a very gaunt, frail-looking child. Who at that time to me looked like a 5, 6 or 7 year-old boy," said LAPD Det. Abel Munoz.

Veronica Aguilar, a mother of four, is accused of neglect, causing Yonatan's death.

Investigators are bewildered at how she and her other children kept Yonatan hidden in a closet in a tiny one-bedroom house in Echo Park, a secret to his stepdad for three years.

The boy's stepdad, Jose Pinzon, testified that she had told him that she sent the boy away to Mexico for treatment.

Yonatan had special needs and behavior problems in school.

Pinzon testified through interpreters that consultations with psychologists didn't seem to help, that his mother spoke often of sending him back to Mexico where he might get better treatment. And that she was undocumented and felt helpless.

"She would cry a lot because she would say she didn't know what to do," Pinzon testified.

Pinzon says he never saw any sign that Yonatan was in the house. He worked 18 hours a day, and he slept on the floor away from the kids and his wife.

He was baffled, then hysterical when Aguilar told him she had not sent the boy to Mexico, that he was dead in their own house.

I guess the penis wants us to feel some sympathy for this bitch.

@cubby

A Los Angeles mother who sedated her 11-year-old special-needs son and hid him in a closet where he withered to 34 pounds — the weight of a 3-year-old — before dying has been sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison.
Veronica Aguilar learned her fate on Friday after she pleaded no contest to charges of assault on a child, causing the death of her son, Yonatan Daniel Aguilar.
“These cases are so tragic,” Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler said, noting the “terror and fear” he must have gone through, City News Service reported.

Retired Los Angeles Police Detective Moses Castillo told the judge he believed the boy would say two things to his mother, “I love you” and “I forgive you.”
Yonatan was “an innocent child whose life was tragically and unjustly cut short by the years of neglect and abuse at the hands of his mother,” LA County Deputy District Attorney Alexander Bott said after the hearing, the wire service reported.
In an earlier court hearing, a detective testified the mother had described her son as “pure evil,” who once stood over her other two sons with a knife.
The detective said she admitted to giving the boy medication to calm him down and had him sleep in a closet without his stepfather knowing while telling the stepfather that she sent her son to Mexico for treatment, The Associated Press reported.

He testified she was frustrated and “would cry a lot because she would say she didn’t know what to do.”

Back