• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

PerfectChaos

QueenGEEK
downer16n-3-web_zps6e7cf662.jpg

Rachel Downer, 22, was taken into custody Friday and charged with second-degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child.

Downer's cousin Mercedes Mayfield was discovered unconscious in the entrance to an apartment building in Bemidji on the morning of February 27 after spending hours in temperatures that fell to nearly 30 degrees-below-zero with windchill of -40.
[...]
Police said little Mercedes was dressed in a coat, boots, hat and mittens by emergency service personnel
[...]
It is not clear how the girl had managed to get outside, but it appeared she may have been there overnight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-identified-cousin-arrested-manslaughter.html

article-0-1C4DAF4C00000578-684_306x423_zps3f1f1e94.jpg

Kids are easier to eat when they are frozen they move around less :smuggrin:
I'm sure she's used to eating frozen food so maybe she thought I gotta freeze her before I eat her.
I do not understand how this happens, kids escaping in cold weather like this. Hell kids escaping period is crazy to me. Since when did you need locks for your locks?

Pretty sure she doesn't care about portion size so long as she doesn't have to work hard for her meal. Had the cops waited five minutes longer I'm sure she'd be warming her up in the oven.
I'm sure Precious was all geared up for a nice meal!

How did no one notice there is a 6 yr old missing all night?? That she wasn't in the house, she's old enough to open the door. was she locked out on purpose? poor baby died cold & alone :(

She may have left the house on her own. They make door knobs that open from the inside but are locked from the outside. It doesn't matter though because she is dead and that cow is responsible. Little girl would have pounded on the door and she hadn't heard her or didn't care.

OK I don't think any of us saw this coming. I have no words to describe this woman's actions. I'm sure some of you will be able to come up with some appropriate ones.

A Minnesota woman had promised her aunt to watch her 6-year-old daughter while the woman was recovering from an injury, but instead she took off, leaving the girl to freeze to death outside, according to newly released charging documents
The last time Mercedes was seen alive was the evening before. Downer was going to take her cousin to her apartment to baby-sit her that night, but changed her mind and didn't tell Mercedes' mother, according to the complaint.

Mercedes helped Downer carry her things to her car. Downer said she watched the girl enter the building, then got in her car and drove off.
According to the complaint, Downer was supposed to be watching Mercedes and a 3-year-old sibling, as well as Downer's own 2-year-old son, while Peoples was at work.

Peoples told police that she hurt her arm at work and took pain medication to help her sleep while Downer watched the children.

The family ate dinner together, then Peoples turned in early. When she was awakened by her alarm clock at 6am, neither Downer nor Mercedes were in the apartment.

‘Ms. Peoples said that she then called Downer and asked her why she had taken Mercedes home with her when she knew Mercedes had school,’ the complaint said. ‘Ms. Peoples said that she then looked out her front window and saw her daughter lying on the front step.

‘She then went outside and pulled her into the entryway and called 911.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-girl-freeze-death-steps-cousin-s-care.html

Downer was going to take her cousin to her apartment to baby-sit her that night, but changed her mind and didn't tell Mercedes' mother, according to the complaint

‘Ms. Peoples said that she then called Downer and asked her why she had taken Mercedes home with her when she knew Mercedes had school,’

I'm confused - was the arrangement for Downer to take the child to her apartment for the night, or not?

That confused me too. I'm guessing either Downer was supposed to bring Mercedes home later, or Downer was supposed to be watching the kids at Mercedes' mom's house. It sounds like Mom expected them both to be at her house when she woke up and they weren't. Either way Downer was supposed to have Mercedes with her, not just drop her off at her mom's apartment building then drive off and leave her.

OK this explains it a bit better. Apparently Downer and Mercedes were at Mercedes' mom's apartment when Mom went to sleep and Downer was supposed to stay and watch the kids. Downer changed her mind, didn't bother waking Mercedes' mom to tell her, and went home with her son. Mercedes helped Downer carry her stuff to her car then Downer drove off. Downer claims she watched Mercedes go back in the building before she left but Mercedes apparently couldn't get back into the apartment. Sounds like an apartment block with exterior walk ups and balconies but regular apartment doors. So Downer only watched Mercedes go back in the building, not made sure she could get back into her mom's apartment.

http://www.startribune.com/local/250716801.html

Ms. Peoples said that she then called Downer and asked her why she had taken Mercedes home with her when she knew Mercedes had school,’ the complaint said. ‘Ms. Peoples said that she then looked out her front window and saw her daughter lying on the front step.
Bat shit crazy cannot even describe how I would have reacted.

Fuck this.

A Bemidji woman who last month pleaded guilty to a second-degree manslaughter charge in the hypothermia death of her 6-year-old cousin has, for the moment, avoided jail time.

Rachel Downer, 23, used her hands to sponge up tears Monday as Judge Shari Schluchter read her sentence: no prison, as long as Downer follows the letter of her probation for 10 years. Schluchter granted the wishes of the defense and the prosecution by staying a sentence that would have sent Downer, found to have a persistent mental illness, to prison for 32 months.

Downer declined to speak and dropped her head for most of the sentencing. A year ago, she had been diagnosed with a mental illness, prolonging the criminal case and delaying closure for the family of Mercedes Mayfield, whose icy body was found the morning of Feb. 27, 2014.

"I don't feel sorry for Rachel," said Malika Peoples, Mercedes' mother, in a statement before Schlucter announced sentencing. "I don't know what adult leaves a child like that. It's her fault.

"I haven't even started coping over my daughter's death. Her eighth birthday just passed."

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/local/3838862-courts-10-years-probation-fatal-hypothermia-case

Stupid, Stupid.... Hope the 67.82 in merchandise was worth it....

A Bemidji woman convicted of second-degree manslaughter in September in the death of her 6-year-old cousin who froze to death outside their apartment appeared in Beltrami County District Court on Friday on a theft charge, which is a violation of her probation.

A four-year prison sentence was stayed as long as Downer followed the conditions of her probation. On Sept. 25, Downer was cited for shoplifting $67.82 worth of items from Walmart in Bemidji.

On Friday, Beltrami County District Court Judge Paul Benshoof told Downer the theft citation is a misdemeanor but the more serious charge is a probation violation. Benshoof said Downer's probation agent filed a violation report recommending 10 days jail time and probation, however, the decision was not made in court Friday.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3867813-bemidji-woman-convicted-manslaughter-violates-probation

When I read the first article I was certain she would screw up her probation. Ten years is a long time for some people to keep their nose clean. She needs to do more than 10 days. Wonder when the decision will be made?

Back