• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...-43-million-gallons-of-excess-milk-2016-10-13
Farmers in the U.S. are pouring out tens of millions of gallons of excess milk, amid a massive glut that has slashed prices and has filled warehouses with cheese.

More than 43 million gallons’ worth of milk were dumped in fields, manure lagoons or animal feed, or have been lost on truck routes or discarded at plants in the first eight months of 2016, according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That is enough milk to fill 66 Olympic swimming pools, and the most wasted in at least 16 years of data requested by The Wall Street Journal.

Desperate producers are working to find new uses for the excess, like getting more milk into school lunches, and in revamped tacos and Egg McMuffins. But many can’t even afford to transport raw milk to market at current prices, which have plunged 36% on average since prices hit records in 2014.
[....]
Dairy and meat producers in the U.S. and abroad expanded their operations two years ago in response to a shortage, setting the stage for the current global glut.

Our government can bail out criminal banks but can't manage to buy and transport this excess milk and get it processed for school lunches. Don't get me started.

There is so much waste and corruption in our food industry. Its staggering.

Let me say this about the milk farmers.
I am a first hand witness to this as my farm was located right between and near many milk farms.
The farmers planted their corn late on purpose knowing full well it would be a failed crop to send to market.
Then the gov would reimburse them for the projected loss. Then the farmer would grind up what's in the field to feed their cows. Win win.
In all actuality, the farmer was paid twice for the corn and didn't have to spend any money to harvest.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this isn't an attempt to get another gov program started.
After what I have witnessed with the corn abuse, I'm not so quick to come to their defense.

How come I'm still paying $3 a gallon for it if they have so much they're dumping it!? Mark it down and I'll buy more... Oh wait, guess they couldn't get a govt check if they did that, my bad.

Goddamn globalism. Its such a super thing according to every developed nation's politicians and rich fat cats - and is something that we, the taxpaying, voting citizens were never given a choice over.

But globalism is only good apparently when it turns a profit.

At the risk of sounding like Reverend Lovejoy's wife, 'won't somebody think of the children?'

There's freaking way too many kids across Africa, the Middle East and parts of Asia who are starving right now.

Look at Yemen. Aid agencies are reporting children are literally dying all over the shop from malnutrition thanks to the fucking Saudi's and Iranians. Malnutrition in 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ship the milk to them. Heat the stuff up, turn it into UHT and ship it all over the globe where it can be stored without refrigeration and used to help feed those poor bloody kids. And if there's a risk of aid convoys being stopped by fighters on either side - then the US needs to man up and say to the Saudi's 'you block this, you lose the weapons we supply you with, that you're funneling straight to Yemen' and to the Iranian's 'you're going back on global sanctions without an end in sight if you dare block an aid convoy.'. Mind you, that'd probably wind the whole damn war down anyway.

And I don't want to hear a politician from a developed nation whinge about the cost of doing this. Use the goddamn foreign aid budgets. That's what they're for. Instead of using OUR money to prop up corrupt third world governments and dictators and religious leaders, divert that money to utilizing excess food across the West and shipping it out.

The USA throws ONE POINT FIVE BILLION every single year at Egypt. Yet malnutrition in kids is RISING. 31% of Egyptian kids are fucking stunted from malnourishment according to UNICEF. Where's the money going, Egypt? I'd have thought FEEDING your population to be the paramount priority before ANYTHING else. But hey, gotta keep a standing military and that costs big, huh?

The USA sends 993 million a year to bloody filthy old, corrupt Pakistan. Where they have the worlds highest illiteracy rates. Where 24% of the ENTIRE population is classified as 'undernourished'. What UNICEF have to say about malnourishment and Pakistan makes me want to vomit. Its not repeatable. The sheer ignorance of the population - ignorance that their pathetic asshole government should be fixing with LITERACY and EDUCATION - simply so that mother's understand WHAT to fucking feed a starving baby - and that no, vaccination is NOT a stupid CIA infiltration stunt - nah, but let's have nukes! Yeah! Nukes! Nukes are WAY more important then basic education and feeding your people.

35 billion US dollars a year - YOUR tax dollars guys, spent on foreign aid. Yet your dairy industry is throwing out all this food - and your actual aid recipient nation's are suffering from chronic malnourishment problems - along with a multitude of other wretched nation's. Something is fucking broken in the foreign aid community, globally.

The sheer tonnage of food wastage in and across the entire West is beyond obscene given that there literally are, still, starving kids on this planet.

I cannot believe they're pouring it out. Sell it to the bloody Chinese for fuck's sake, if you must turn a profit. That country and its citizens keep wiping out our supplies and stocks of baby formula in Australia, because the Chinese people literally cannot trust Chinese made products to be safe. Fucking turn it into tonnes of baby formula and sell it for a fat profit to them.

For the love of God, throwing it away is simply criminal.

Last edited:
Back