• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Momzilla

Badass/PTA Mom
There aren't names released yet, so I won't spill the beans- but this happened right down the street from me.
(First we had the drunk moms at the mall & now this-- it hasn't been a good week for my town!)

Letting a 7yo start a car is just crazy negligent- this accident should never have happened.

Luckily the 2yo is expected to be OK, poor thing had to be med flighted to Boston.

The police say the mother will face charges.

Mom to be charged after Salem tot hit by car started by 7-year-old sister
Police expect to bring charges against a local mother for allegedly allowing her 7-year-old daughter to start the family car, which led to her 2-year-old sister being hit on Tuesday.

The mother, who has not been identified by police, is currently not charged with a crime.

We do expect some charges for the mother for endangering the welfare of a child,” police Lt. Joel Dolan said on Wednesday morning.

Police responded to 75 South Policy Road Apt. 1 at 6:34 p.m. on Tuesday for a report of an accident involving a child. The mother told police officers that her 7-year-old daughter accidentally ran over her 2 year-old daughter with a vehicle. She also told police that she gave her 7-year-old permission to go outside and start her vehicle, a 2003 Ford Focus, according to police. Her 2-year-old sister went outside as well.

“This was somewhat of a common practice,” Dolan said of letting the older daughter start the vehicle. “What I’m being told by my officers is that this is not the first time she was allowed to start the car.”

After starting the vehicle, the 7-year-old was able to shift the car into reverse, causing it to roll backwards and strike her sister.

The 2 year-old sustained injuries to her legs, chin, scalp, and had some bruising along her right side rib cage and upper arm, police said.

Dolan said on Wednesday afternoon that the girl is expected to make a full recovery. The little girl suffered non-life threatening injuries, according to Dolan.

The girl’s mother, who was not outside at the time, came to the aid of her daughter when she heard the 7 year-old scream for help. A neighbor who witnessed the aftermath also came over to render assistance, according to police.

The Salem Fire Department transported the 2 year-old victim to Lawrence General Hospital where she was ultimately med-flighted to Boston Children’s Hospital.

The investigation is ongoing and the Salem Police Department will work with the New Hampshire Division of Children, Youth, and Families.
http://www.unionleader.com/public-s...year-old-sister-20160928#sthash.HMdfSmJh.dpuf

I think all the construction around us is doing something to the water? Freaking Idiots - who lets a 7 year old start the car??? AND if you are letting them - you need to explain what minor things like the shifter will do if you touch them! UGH

Omg! What an idiot! I am sooo careful about starting my own car. There's no way I'd let my kid do it. I don't even get in my car unless my kids are either in it seat belted in or I can clearly see them on the porch if they're outside. My girls don't come off the porch if someone is leaving. I think I've probably made them crap their pants a time or two when they were little and would start to toddle off the porch. They still hear my voice saying, "NOOOO!" they'll probably always hear that in their heads, but at least neither one of them have been ran over.

When my kids were younger directly across the street was a house set up on a hill with the carport at the top of it, the stupid daddy got out of the car and left his 7-8 year old son in the car with it running, the boy pulls the car out of gear and it rolls down the driveway across the street, clips my car, that's parked in front of my house and rolls up into my front yard.

A little more momentum and it would have been sitting in my living room. This is same child that had to go to the hospital because he and his brother were chasing each other with knives in their back yard. Miraculously, he and his brother still live.

I learned how to drive the farm pickup truck when I was 7. But that was a wide open field space and only for emergencies. Like if my grandfather got hurt doing work, so I could get help. My 11 year old also knows how to drive, but is only allowed to do it on the race track.

My point is that you can't only teach one part of a skill set. A 7 year old can understand the rules and consequences if taught properly. That does not excuse adults from common sense though.

Latest posts

Back