• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ple-drip-bags-yokohama-hospital/#.V-1PcYgrIdX
[....]
A chemical used in disinfectant that likely killed two elderly male patients at Oguchi Hospital may have been injected through rubber plugs in the bags in a nurses’ room during a lightly staffed three-day holiday, investigative sources said Wednesday.

The poison matches the surfactant in a disinfectant kept on the ward.

Officers are investigating whether an insider has been contaminating supplies. In a possibly related case, a hospital worker reportedly was injured last month by a drink laced with bleach.

Investigators in the latest poisonings found small holes in seals on the rubber plugs of unused drip bags stored at the nurses’ station at Oguchi Hospital in Yokohama’s Kanagawa Ward. Of around 50 unused drip bags, holes were spotted in the seals of 10 or so, the sources said.

Some bags bore the names of patients other than the two killed, suggesting an attempt to poison people indiscriminately. The police are now having the contents analyzed.

The dead victims have been named as Sozo Nishikawa and Nobuo Yamaki, both 88. They died at the hospital on Sept. 18 and 20, respectively, both after having a drip administered.

Investigators say bags for all patients on the fourth floor — where Nishikawa and Yamaki were being treated — were brought to a nurse’s station from a pharmacy on Sept. 17, the first of a three-day holiday. They were then left in cardboard boxes.

Investigators believe the poison was injected within the first 24 hours, when holiday staffing meant there were fewer people around.

No holes or ruptures were found in drip bags used by Nishikawa, even though an autopsy found surfactant poisoning, the sources said. Investigators are now testing the bags’ contents.

But tests identified a surfactant compound in one of the drip bags used on Yamaki. It was found to match that in a disinfectant stored at the nurses’ station.
[....]

Fluid bags come individually wrapped in a thick, plastic bag. You are supposed to open a new bag for each patient. Either this person was part of the medical staff, or they were reusing fluid bags.

If they were lightly staffed it shouldn't be too difficult to narrow it down to a suspect. I hope they catch him/her before they kill again. Someone got a thrill out of this and expected many more victims...so I expect they will strike again given the opportunity. I'm sure its someone no one would suspect.
[doublepost=1475216846,1475216800][/doublepost]Also...I am curious as to whether the IV bags are packaged differently in foreign countries.

Latest posts

Back