• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
From jail, Elisa Baker denies killing stepdaughter Zahra
HICKORY, N.C. — A woman who pleaded guilty in the death of her stepdaughter has told a Charlotte television station she did not kill the girl.

Elisa Baker talked with WSOC-TV (http://bit.ly/YwjWL8) at the North Carolina Correctional Institution for Women in Raleigh on Wednesday and said Zahra Baker, 10 had been sick with a stomach problem the day she died in September 2010. .

"I plead guilty to something I did not even do and it wasn't even a murder," said Baker.

She said the girl was not breathing when she went to check on her. She said she should have called 911 instead of trying CPR.

She is serving up to 18 years in prison. She pleaded guilty in 2011 to second-degree murder with aggravating factors that included dismembering Zahra Baker's body.

Zahra Baker wore a prosthetic leg and hearing aids after a struggle with bone cancer. She was reported missing in October 2010 from her home in Hickory.

"Zahra was a blessing. She brought a lot into my life," said Baker.

Several months after Elisa Baker's plea, a hunter found a skull in the northern part of Caldwell County. The medical examiner determined the skull was Zahra's.
[,,,,]
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05...enies-killing-stepdaughter.html#storylink=cpy

so she was sick and died..fine, that is all well and good...but then why did she decide to not only hack her up but spread her everywhere? my god that lady is ridiculous. she just wants the attention again.

CONVICTED murderer Elisa Baker made shocking claims, including her husband dismembered the body of his disabled daughter, while facing tough questions on the Nine Network’s 60 Minutes last night.

Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Ms Baker – who is currently serving a second-degree murder sentence in a North Carolina women’s prison – said Adam Baker dismembered the body of his daughter Zahra, 10, before disposing of it in nearby bushland.

“It was he who dismembered Zahra,” Ms Baker told veteran 60 Minutes reporter, Liz Hayes, following up with “he was my husband,” in response to a question about why she would have been complicit if such an act occurred.

A dishevelled-looking Ms Baker – who had a history of verbal, physical and psychological abuse towards her stepdaughter, Zahra – thought she was a “good person,” who would give anyone, “the shirt off her back.”

Ms Baker claimed she found Zahra in a non-responsive state at her Hickory home in September, 2010.

She said she performed a resuscitation procedure for 30 minutes, a claim not consistent with the coroner’s report, which said Zahra had died from “undetermined homicidal violence.”

The segment prompted a overwhelming response on social media website Twitter, user @Tahls posting “Listening to this monster talk about how much she ‘loved’ and ‘misses’ Zahra is actually disgusting”, while another user said the convicted child killer had “Charles Manson’s black, dead eyes”.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/1838401/elisa-claims-adam-dismembered-zahra-baker/

ZAHRA Baker’s birth mother broke down in tears before the screening of last night’s controversial 60 Minutes interview with the woman convicted of the brutal murder of her 10-year-old daughter.

Emily Dietrich was approached by the Advertiser at her Glenfield home but said she was too upset to comment on the case, which has made headlines in the US, Australia and the UK.

However, earlier in the week she posted an emotional plea to Facebook, decrying the interview, and making a reference to her daughter’s murderer and stepmother Elisa Baker being a “putrid monster”.

“Just let the putrid monster rot in her cell instead of giving her attention for her actions, and just let my daughter’s name rest,” Ms Dietrich posted.

Zahra is not a ratings raiser, she was a beautiful girl and now a glowing, winged angel.”

Furthermore, saying she had “cried herself to sleep out of shock, disgust and bad memories,” in the Facebook post.

Ms Dietrich has remained largely silent on the death of her daughter.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/1838396/zahra-bakers-mum-hits-out/

I know this thread is ancient, but I just read through it after avoiding it since joining. Hard to believe it's been almost 5 years since Zahra was murdered. I didn't revive this thread just to post my thoughts, I went looking for recent updates, and found this article, and the revelations are astounding! Why this wasn't considered grounds for an immediate mistrial I will never understand.

The prosecutor who handled one of North Carolina’s most notorious crimes Tuesday made new allegations against the defense attorney in the case – a man now challenging him for public office.

District Attorney Jay Gaither alleged that attorney Scott Reilly hurt the prosecution’s case by “mishandling” evidence in the killing and dismemberment of 10-year-old Zahra Baker.

Reilly, who filed for district attorney Tuesday, denied the charge. He acknowledged finding a hacksaw in a Caldwell County storm drain but said he had tried unsuccessfully to contact Gaither immediately.

Three years ago Reilly, a Conover attorney, defended Elisa Baker, who’s now serving an 18 1/2-year sentence for the slaying of her stepdaughter.

Zahra’s disappearance in October 2010 riveted attention as volunteers and law enforcement officials searched for the missing girl and later for her body. Her remains were eventually found that December.

The case captured attention across the country and even around the world. It was featured on network and cable television.

In a September 2011 plea agreement, Elisa Baker pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. She’s now in a state prison in Raleigh. She faces a separate sentence on unrelated federal charges.

Gaither and Reilly are running in a GOP primary that also includes Morganton attorney David Learner. Reilly, also a former prosecutor, lost to Gaither in a 2002 primary.

The contest has resurrected Zahra’s case.

Learner, a former prosecutor, suggested that could hurt both his rivals.

“People are very, very angry about the Zahra Baker plea bargain, and rightfully so,” Learner said Tuesday. “A lot of people don’t realize that Scott Reilly defended Zahra’s killer.”

Evidence ‘mishandled’

Gaither, of Hickory, said efforts of prosecutors and law enforcement “were hampered by Scott Reilly’s mishandling of evidence.”

“He removed evidence from the ground, and he visited Zahra Baker’s remains prior to Elisa Baker leading law enforcement to her,” Gaither said.

Asked if that impacted the case against Elisa Baker, Gaither said it did. He declined to elaborate.

Reilly called the suggestion “ludicrous.”

“It’s a desperate attempt to try to smear me,” he said.

Reilly acknowledged finding the hacksaw.

“We were trying to corroborate our client’s story,” he said, “and in doing so I did discover some evidence … The evidence was in danger of being destroyed if we didn’t collect it immediately.”

Reilly said the saw was in a drain near a river. With a storm approaching, he feared it would be washed away. He said a private detective with him at the time took the saw, handling it in a manner “consistent with rules of evidence collection.”

Reilly defends actions

Reilly said they tried to contact Gaither that night but couldn’t reach him, and they turned the saw over to law enforcement two days later. Gaither said Reilly should have given it to police immediately.

“There was no legitimate reason for them to continue to hold on to that evidence,” Gaither said.

Reilly said professional rules allowed him to take possession of the evidence.

“I adamantly refute that anything was ... mishandled,” said Reilly, who suggested the allegations are a distraction from the campaign.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ponent-mishandled-evidence.html#storylink=cpy

HICKORY, N.C. -- A State Child Fatality Review released Thursday claims gaps in the DSS system failed 10-year-old Zahra Baker. In October 2010, Baker was killed by her stepmother Elisa Baker, after complaints had been filed for months that she'd been abused.

The report, prepared by the state Division of Social Services, cites four instances in which complaints were filed with Child Protective Services in 2010, in Caldwell and Catawba Counties. The findings in the report explain the two agencies weren't able to share information, which allowed some of the alleged abuse to fly under the radar. It recommends a statewide database for child welfare that could be used by county D.S.S. agencies.
The review also recommends enhanced training for teachers and other community members on how to properly file complaints about possible child abuse. In Zahra's case, the report found educators expressed concern but never filed formal paperwork with D.S.S..

Part of the report claims, "There was limited collaboration and communication between community partners (school personnel, medical providers, and law enforcement), resulting in critical information not being considered in the child protective services assessment."

D.S.S. says it will follow up with local agencies in six months to see if adequate changes have been made.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/loca...f-communication-in-zahra-baker-case/21882681/

Link to documents of review findings

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/252860189?width=1070

A lot of the locals didn't understand why they kept adding what seemed like trivial, waste of time charges such as bigamy, fraud, failure to return rental property, etc. to Elisa Baker, ones that had nothing to do with Zahra's death. I believe that our DA's office was worried that the evidence they had may not be enough to guarantee a conviction, especially after Casey Anthony walked. They knew that while the plea agreement was the lesser of two evils, it still wasn't near enough justice for Zahra. And some of those charges are are doing exactly what we hoped for: Elisa Baker will be serving 10 additional years in federal prison for drug charges. That sentence will not begin until after she is released from state custody. It's not the DP, or LWOP, but 28 years is better than 18 years.

The North Carolina woman, already in prison for the death of her stepdaughter, Zahra Baker, was sentenced to more time behind bars after pleading guilty to a federal drug charge.

Elisa Baker was sentenced Monday to 10 years of federal prison time, that will run after the 18 years of state time for 10-year-old Zahra's death.

Elisa Baker didn't say anything as she was led in handcuffs into the Statesville Federal Courthouse Monday morning. Prosecutors said she helped distribute more than 50,000 prescription pills for pain and anxiety during a four-year period.

The federal case grew out of the investigation into Zahra Baker's death in the fall of 2010.

Elisa Baker became ill during the sentencing and could not stand up.

http://m.wcti12.com/news/Zahra-Baker-s-killer-sentenced-for-drug-distribution/19174492

No. Just all kinds of no. She just needs to rot in her cell. She didn't get nearly enough time to begin with.

'I was a good mamma': Elisa Baker who killed and dismembered her stepdaughter 10-year-old Zahra Baker plans to appeal her conviction - and refuses to take responsibility for the grisly murder
  • Elisa Baker, 47, pleaded guilty to killing her step-daughter Zahra in 2010
  • Zahra Baker, 10, was murdered and dismembered in North Carolina
  • Elisa now says she was rushed into signing a plea deal for the murder
  • She said she keeps pictures of Zahra in her prison cell
She now claims that she was rushed into signing the plea deal and is refusing to take responsibility for the gruesome murder of Zahra, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Although the time period for an appeal has expired, Elisa is attempting to build an appeal case anyway – which, if granted, would be rare but not entirely impossible.

This is from March of this year. I really hope she just chokes to death on all that shit she spewed from her mouth.

The last thing they said to each other, Baker claims, was: “I love you, I’ll see you in a minute”.
This was before she left the little girl home alone for 15 minutes to get cash. During this period, Baker claims Zahra died from the cancer she had battled throughout her childhood.

Baker said it was hours later that she sat listening to the sound of water running in the bathroom as the beautiful girl was chopped into small pieces in the tub.

Baker, speaking from inside North Carolina’s Correctional Institute for Women in the US where she is about to launch an appeal bid, said she found Zahra dead in her bed.

She blames someone else for the horrific butchering that followed and takes no responsibility for the crime.

For legal reasons, The Courier-Mail can’t identify that person. “I actually thought (the person) was taking a shower because I could hear water running. I didn’t know. I had no idea. God I had no idea,” she said.

She is even looking forward to a future outside of prison where she can reunite with her children and grandchildren. “The truth is if you did know Elisa Baker you’d know she was not a monster,” she said. “I never have been, I never will be.”

She also claims she’s friends with women in prison who are disabled. She wants to prove that Zahra’s disability did not create tension in their relationship.

“I’m very soft hearted, I have a big heart,” she said. “There’s several people here who are handicapped as well and I’m right in with them. Being the mamma figure.” .

Trying to rewrite history, Baker now describes how close she was to Zahra, despite claiming the girl’s father Adam didn’t reveal he had a daughter when they first courted each other online.

“It finally came out and he didn’t know if I could handle the fact that he had a daughter who was dying of cancer. And I was like why? It doesn’t bother me,” she said.

“I jumped in no questions asked. She was like my own. Zahra completely depended on me at home because Adam worked … She automatically latched on and we got very very close.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/za...d/news-story/8ab95b26999360ee89afe67211f5b3ec

This bitch is unreal! Everytime we start to forget about her evil ass, she pops back up with some ridiculous update-- like she wants to keep reminding us all why we hate her so much!

Bitch seriously needs to disappear into a deep dark hole, never to be heard from or thought of again!

1573963932930.png

Zahra Clare Baker
(November 16, 1999 - September 24, 2010)

Zahra was murdered when she was 10 years old by her step-mother.

Zahra's stepmother had a quick temper and was quick to physically punish Zahra.

Neighbors and teachers reported and tried to stop the ongoing abuse of Zahra but their attempts failed.

Shortly after Zahra's disappearance the stepmother failed a lie detector test.

Not long after, Zahra's remains were found. Horrifyingly, she had been dismembered, and police began finding parts of her body in different locations.It was determined that Zahra had been sexually assaulted and then murdered, although the exact cause of death could not be determined.

Zahra's stepmother was charged with her murder, and was later sentenced to 14 to 18 years in prison.

There was no evidence that Zahra's father had any involvement in his daughter's death and he was not charged.

Last edited:
Back