• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A man who caught 19 rats at his house within a 24-hour period has said his young family have been forced to leave their home for safety reasons.

Michael McCann, his wife Paula and two young children are staying with friends after moving out of their Belfast home.

They told Belfast Live their Rutland Street house was "overrun" by rodents when they returned home from a holiday.

The couple said their cat, who they put into a cattery during their trip, had likely been keeping the rats at bay.

The couple said the rats had left faeces all over their house and chewed through the electric cables of their washing machine, microwave and kettle.

Mrs McCann said: "The house is owned by the Housing Executive and we've done our best to look after it really well despite the damp.

"But these rats are too much to cope with. They're disgusting and a danger to the health of my entire family and we just cannot stay there."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37492876

The housing authority might want to loose a puma in there for a week. What a nightmare and then the repairs and cleaning after the rats are gone. :wtf:

RATS! RUN! Gross rodents carrying Pasturella Pestis (bubonic plague)! Cats brought me a mostly dead field mouse. it crawled under the stove and died. My kitchen..hell, my whole house, smelled like decomp. Couldn't even sit in the living room and I sure as hell wasn't cooking anything!

It was awful! The smell made my eyes water and destroyed my appetite for 2 weeks. I Cloroxed the whole kitchen...bleach smells better than dead mouse. If I see a rat, I'll scream and run!

My room mate at university and I searching for the source of a horrible stench in the shared kitchen once pulled the fridge out to find behind it something which we first took for the remains of a dead mouse. The "skull" turned out to be popcorn with dust-bunnies stuck to it with yeast molds supplying most of the stink.

This is why i don't mind the army of feral cats that live around my house and have pretty much claimed my deck as their own.

I am a bit confused though given the nation this story is from. When they say rats, do they mean the actual small rodent animal, or are they simply referring to other Europeans, perhaps a squatting situation developed?

I love rats, I'm a crazy rat lady. But feral rats in your house with children is no-no, if you want them to keep their fingers and toes. Housing Executive houses sound like utter shit, by the way.

Pet rats and feral rats are two different animals. We have a beautiful pet rat that undoubtedly comes from a long line of domesticated rats. There's never been a moment's worry that she would bite us or the kids. She got lost while out of her container for exercise day before yesterday, and my d-i-l couldn't find her for hours until she investigated inside her closed bedroom. Fiona must've slipped past her when she went in there to get something and stayed. Clearly from overturned items on the vanity in the bath she'd had a great romp and was found sleeping curled up in part of the bed comforter that was on the floor.

Some years ago I lived next to a party/flop house. It hadn't always been that way but when the elderly owner died his kids inherited it and they didn't want it so they rented it out but never bothered to check on the tenants unless someone called the police. After months of no garbage service the rats moved in and of course spread to the surrounding houses. Used to see them pop out from under my deck sometimes. Eventually I noticed a weird smell in my kitchen which got progressively worse. It seemed to be coming from behind the stove and there were a couple of holes there so I poured rat poison down them and blocked them up. Smell didn't go away, just got worse. Eventually found the little bastard inside the top part of the stove where the controls and wiring go. Must have crawled up there and got stuck.

Back