• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...east-milk-she-says-almost-four-gallons-of-it/

But Jessica Coakley Martinez didn’t just cry over it. She penned an outraged open letter on Facebook that has resonated with working mothers everywhere.

“I normally would not post something this personal, but I do not remember the last time I felt so justly upset,” she writes.

Larger amounts must go in checked luggage, it says. That’s stricter than the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA), which says baby formula, breast milk, and juice in quantities larger than 3.4 ounces can go in carry-on luggage. The TSA also advises passengers to tell them at the beginning of the screening process that they’re carrying baby formula, breast milk, or juice in excess of 3.4 ounces.

Coakley Martinez’s open letter to Heathrow security says she became tearful and “irate” because she felt as if no one in security was interested in compromise. She writes that she was willing to let go of the liquid milk, but tried to make the case that she should have been allowed to carry on more than 300 ounces of frozen milk because it was no longer in liquid form. But officials would not relent.

Martinez acknowledged that she should have looked up the guidelines, which state that “a reasonable amount” of breast milk can be carried in the cabin when the mother is traveling with her child.

That said, it’s also hard to imagine why the airport security officials didn’t work with her to find a compromise. The science is settled on why breast feeding is important for an infant’s health. Women shouldn’t have to feel like criminals for nursing –even if they’re inside a court of law, as happened last week. And women are right to fight for acceptance of the practice everywhere, and to be militant when others try to shame them or prevent them from doing it.

I feel for her and I have sympathy for her wanting to take it home, but why in the world did she think they were going to let her bring 4 gallons of a mysterious liquid with her?

That amount is kind of eyebrow raising, but this story still makes me cry.

Breast milk is liquid gold. Especially for mommas like me who had to work really hard to express enough.

I agree that it is liquid gold, but what I can't understand is why she thought she was so special that she didn't have to follow the rules. I haven't been in an airplane since 1999 and I know that you can't bring certain things on board, sharp things, knives, heck even cuticle scissors, and liquids. It's a concession that you get to bring small amounts, but FOUR gallons!

ETA: A gallon of water is about 8lbs, I'm pretty sure milk weighs more, so looking at it from that perspective, she'd have been out of luck on the weight requirement, nearly 40lbs of milk.

Last edited:
I agree that it is liquid gold, but what I can't understand is why she thought she was so special that she didn't have to follow the rules. I haven't been in an airplane since 1999 and I know that you can't bring certain things on board, sharp things, knives, heck even cuticle scissors, and liquids. It's a concession that you get to bring small amounts, but FOUR gallons!

ETA: A gallon of water is about 8lbs, I'm pretty sure milk weighs more, so looking at it from that perspective, she'd have been out of luck on the weight requirement, nearly 40lbs of milk.

Maybe she was going to make cheese?

:shrug::whistle:

All that effort pumping four gallons of breast milk yet she didn't lift a finger to find out HOW she could travel with it. She didn't bother to check that nearly 40 lbs of breast milk will weigh more than most carry on limits. She is the poster child of stupidity + first world entitlement.

The fact that the lady admitted that she should have looked up the guidelines says it all to me. Of fucking course you should have checked the guidelines you dumbass! The amount she had was definitely not a reasonable amount either. Now she thinks that the TSA should work with her on all that shit? I don't think they should jeopardize everyone else because this bitch can't call damn ups or some shit and have the breast milk shipped wherever the hell it needed to go. It's not like you can't pay to have it send and it probably would have been there before her plane landed!

I can't even imagine getting that much milk out of my baby buffets. I wasn't that blessed. I had to supplement. If I expressed that much milk, I'd be so proud I'd probably want to carry my milk everywhere. Take pics with it, bicycle with it, bathe with it . . . .

Why in the world wasn't it frozen?
The news item says 300 ounces was frozen.
"tried to make the case that she should have been allowed to carry on more than 300 ounces of frozen milk because it was no longer in liquid form. But officials would not relent."
[doublepost=1461567801,1461472560][/doublepost]A woman can produce up to 32 ounces a day. I googled that, I am impressed. So, assuming she was milking herself, not some herd of wet nurses, she was trying to fly with approx a 12 day supply of frozen breast milk? So much wasted effort.
No sympathy from me, if it was that important to her, she should have researched the shipping logistics more.
@FrayedKnot: love that cheese comment!

Last edited:
What an entitled piece of shit. Now she's whining about it and bleeding heart idiots are defending her on the internet. Sickening.

Next mass murder i read about i'm going to imagine people like this were among the victims, silver linings and so forth.

Back