• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/ten...amily-angry-shaken-video/#iloyekXGupRp7DSJ.97
A family in Alberta, Canada, discovered recently that grizzly bears don’t always scare off so easily.

The accompanying footage shows a tense encounter, during which three aggressive bears hoped to raid a duck pen adjacent to the family’s house.
[....]

The encounter became scary when horn blasts from a truck, and persistent barking from the family dog were not sufficient to frighten the bears.

“There was no fear in those bears,” Keith Lang, the father, told CBC News on Sunday. “We were laying on the horn because I don’t want grizzly bears in the yard.”

The home is in a rural community south of Calgary. Lang has seen grizzlies before, but they’ve always steered clear of the house. He spotted these bears in the distance while filling cattle troughs, and thought they’d also “make a wide berth around the place.”

Instead, they walked boldly into the yard, and through fences, as if to investigate food prospects.

Umm, maybe if your yard had better protection than broken fences and dilapidated buildings and trailers littered about the bears, who are in their habitat after all, might tend to leave your property alone... Just sayin' o_O

Bears that big can go through anything, over anything or just plain tear it down. My hometown is dealing with a huge bear issue right now, and nothing seems to keep them away.

Those bears have learned they have nothing to fear from noises, horns bowing, dogs barking. They are smart and you have a captive pen full of dinner, you live in their home, what else do you expect? Either you need to get smarter than the bears or go back to town.

Those bears have learned they have nothing to fear from noises, horns bowing, dogs barking. They are smart and you have a captive pen full of dinner, you live in their home, what else do you expect? Either you need to get smarter than the bears or go back to town.

I found it absolutely terrifying. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for those bears to attempt to get into the home, and I wouldn't be going for any walks in the woods. They could become beseiged like those scientists in Antartica. :nailbiting:

I lol'd watching the video. They are angry the bears came in their yard? Clean the yard and you wouldn't have that problem. There is trash everywhere. Also if they had released the dog instead of it sitting barking in the truck, the bears would have bolted.

They also didn't think very hard about why the last bear didn't run. It's a mother and her cubs. The mother stopped, the cubs ran. She postured (stood and huffed), which is a preemptive warning for them to back off. They live in an area known for grizzlies yet don't go around with bear bangers or guns on them?

No bear fears a person. They really don't. Bears that are "scared" off aren't scared nor do they wander off. They generally just move and stalk you were you can't see them.

If you are going to live in bear country know a little about them and what you should do when you come upon them. I'm happy that in both the article and the video that people are shaming these idiots.

Good God, we only have black bears here, but you can bet I carry bear spray. What's wrong with these people? It's fall and ducks are food, wave goodbye to your ducks and try again in spring with an appropriate coop. Even an 80 lb black bear can make a living out of tearing apart logs for grubs!

Back