• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...8757bc-6f84-11e6-993f-73c693a89820_story.html

An Ohio man shot his neighbors, killing one and wounding the other, as the couple waited for a school bus with their second-grader and then went on to set fire to their suburban Toledo home and fatally shoot himself, officials say.

Jimmie Pemberton, 59, was in a long-running feud with his neighbors, said Chief Deputy William Talbott of the Lucas County Sheriff’s Office. But it wasn’t clear what the dispute was about before he shot the couple Tuesday morning.

Students on the bus that pulled up shortly afterward didn’t see the shooting but did see the victims on the ground, Michael O’Shea, superintendent of Springfield Local Schools, said Wednesday. The couple’s child wasn’t injured, he said.

Pemberton died about 12 hours later. Authorities said Susan Buchholz died a few hours after the shooting. Daniel Bennett was injured; his condition hasn’t been released.

Those who live on the street in the village just west of Toledo said there had been an ongoing dispute between Pemberton and his neighbors. Pemberton’s girlfriend, Erma Oswalt, said the feud had been going on for about a year and Pemberton once accused Bennett of damaging his truck.

She said she heard a gunshot and then came out of her house and saw her boyfriend shoot Bennett.

Crews were able to put out the fire, which heavily damaged the home.

The couple has four children, including the second-grader who was put on the bus by a bystander who told the driver what happened, O’Shea said.

Two of their children are in middle school and another is still at home.

“This was a family that was very close to us,” O’Shea said. “We knew them well.”

The mother of a 9-year-old girl who was on the bus said her daughter saw Buchholz on the ground and the fire burning at their home.

Jennifer Aztalos said school officials told her what happened. “I had tears in my eyes because I had no idea what she exactly saw or how gruesome it was,” she told WTOL-TV in Toledo.

So... do you think his girlfriend is disappointed that Mr Pemberton also offed himself?

Authorities said Susan Buchholz died a few hours after the shooting. Daniel Bennett was injured; his condition hasn’t been released.

I really hope he lives.

Poor guy...watched his mom die like in the lion king but different.

"The couple has four children, including the second-grader who was put on the bus by a bystander who told the driver what happened..."

So...someone just put the poor kid on the bus after that?? "Gee, sorry kid, I know it's been a rough day, but you ain't getting out of school that easy!" Shouldn't the kid have gone to relatives, or grief counseling, or something?

"The couple has four children, including the second-grader who was put on the bus by a bystander who told the driver what happened..."

So...someone just put the poor kid on the bus after that?? "Gee, sorry kid, I know it's been a rough day, but you ain't getting out of school that easy!" Shouldn't the kid have gone to relatives, or grief counseling, or something?

I thought about this and had similar feelings too. I imagine this happened before the police got to the scene. I guess it was the only safe and immediate solution at the time. I'm thinking there's no way she was sent to class. The school would have isolated her until the police came to talk to her.

At least I hope thats how it went down.

P.s. Love your avatar.

Getting a kid away from a dead Momma at 7 will reduce the trauma. Schools have access to mental health counselors, so that is the most efficient way to triage the damage already done.
Sticking around hysterical family and friends has done more long term damage than humanity will ever admit.
if you have ever picked up the pieces after the outburst of an emotionally damaged family member, the "oh shit, don't go there" moments are remembered by impressionable minds more than most Shrinks can admit.

Back