• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I agree that while mom seems to be inattentive, at least long enough for her child to get into the gorilla enclosure and should be given some sort of fine but to do what the animal lovers are doing is evil. I understand how they feel, but what they're doing is really worse than anything she's done, because they are involving many more others in their hatred for her.

And I hate how media outlets ran with the uneducated belief of witnesses that the gorilla seemed to be protecting the child. This simply wasn't true, as explained by this expert.

Just yesterday, I was watching a show (Nat Geo, maybe?) about large animal attacks, and why the animal often gets shot rather than tranquilized. "Tranquilizers don't work like they do in the movies," one game warden stated. He continued on to explain that tranquilizing an animal is often met with an agitated response, which is why it's not a good option when an animal is in close proximity to humans.

It's not some conspiracy; the gorilla would be least of all considered "disposable" by the zoo, where the gorilla generates income. No, they really just had to shoot the poor dude.

Female gorilla Binti with her own infant on her back rescues child.

Saw someone ask about this video.

There is no news source verifying this particular rumor. It is just a rumor, and seems based on speculation rather than anything the parents have said.

I've never been to the zoo; I have no idea how long the child needed to be unattended in order for this to happen. Mom could be a terrible parent, for all I know.

But, what I do know is that animal enthusiasts can be especially vile, as evidence by the fact that they've gone after this mother's place of business (she's just an employee, not the owners), loading it with false, negative "reviews". I just can't stand the whipped up mob of knee-jerk vengeance they so often become. It's one thing to attack the mother (although, that's pretty tacky in my opinion). But to try to destroy everything she's touched is frothing, rabid bullshit.
Every time I see you quote me I think *oh, I'm getting an ass chewing* and not even sure why.

Okay, I'll relent and admit that I read this from another poster and went with it.
But I'm pretty sure she will. I know I don't have the right to assume and I shouldn't. Here is my reasoning. Even an unattended child should not have been able to make it into that enclosure. I'm very upset at this situation. I'm upset at this kid even if he is only 4 and upset at the mother even is she only lost sight of him for a minute. All that being said, I'm also upset at the zoo for not have a more secure area for this gorilla. It seems that made sure he couldn't escape but didn't really make sure on one could get in.

Everyone is upset that he wasn't shot with a tranq. that more than likely would have caused a death sentence for that boy. Even with a good hit a tranq takes 20 minutes. I saw a monkey once pull a dart out of her butt and toss it back in the direction of the shooter. not knowing how much she got, the shooter had to wait 20 minutes before shooting her again.

Its just sad all the way around.

Every time I see you quote me I think *oh, I'm getting an ass chewing* and not even sure why.

No! In your case specifically, I can attest to the fact that an ass chewing is never on my mind. In fact, often times, I cruise these threads and grab inaccuracies to correct without necessarily noting whom I'm grabbing them or even the complete context.

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption at all. I'm just compelled to call out speculation when I see it. Not even a hint of judgment from me, miss.

:bag:I read the mom was suing the zoo from another poster. Don't lynch me!

As far as gorilla behavioral opionions go, they are all over the place, like this story. I read the mom was tending to another kid, on her phone (on social media), that she was the last to know her kid fell in, and that she tried to climb in after him, but was told not to.

This story had devolved into a clusterfuck shitshow.

ETA: that Cubby posted has a picture of Harambe as baby in it, and it was sad as fuck.

Last edited:
This article goes into the dads past arrest record . drug trafficking.. Burglary..kidnapping..some pretty serious stuff but it says since he had kids he has turned his life around.. There's also a lot of pictures
Just for the record I am angry with the mom because thus was a situation where all parents HAVE to be on high alert ..she knew there was no REAL barriers keeping a CHILD out .that being said I don't wish nothing bad on these parents and they should not be harassed in any way and I also feel the zoo did the ONLY thing they could do at that moment ..jmo..

PICTURED: The three-year-old boy who fell into Harambe's enclosure http://dailym.ai/1UfMOjl

The video I saw was Harambe very agitated and pushing and/or pulling the child through the water at high speed. What he was doing didn't appear protective at all. Not a Hallmark moment.

I saw that too, he had him by the foot, it looked like, and pulling him thru the water with his little head bouncing off the concrete. It all happened in less than 10 minutes, Harambe is still a wild animal subject to do whatever he wants to do, they did the right thing, as horrible as it is to think about. I am absolutely sure that if there had been another way, they would have done it that way instead of killing him.

At least this little boy has a great story to tell his grandchildren, if he lives that long, as rambunctious as he is, he may not.

Yes, I place the blame solely on the mother. What I've learned from witnesses and people who posted here is this kid actually had to WORK to get into that enclosure. Really, really work at it.

Kids disappear in the flash of an eye--I get it. But if she only turned her back for a second, how was he able to broach the fence, the electrical wire, the bushes, and the moat/ravine? I feel like she must have been distracted for far longer than just a second. And a zoo is one of those places where you really can't afford to be distracted if you've got a kid who is prone to wandering off. Bystanders heard the kid say multiple times to his mom that he wanted to get "in the water" (in the gorilla enclosure). If her kid was showing signs that he was fixating on accessing that enclosure, she REALLY needed to step up her surveillance game. She needed to not let go of his hand for a second. Because even if he hadn't managed to worm his way through the crazy amount of security measures around the gorilla enclosure, he still could have gotten lost in the crowd as he attempted to access the gorillas. He could have been abducted during that time. Some kids require an obscene amount of vigilance, at least in certain settings, and if the mom wasn't prepared for that, she shouldn't have had a kid in the first place, or at least shouldn't have taken him to the zoo. (One of the many reasons why I never had kids is because I don't have the level of vigilance required to keep them from getting their asses killed.)

I'm not a fan of zoos, although I acknowledge that they can sometimes be helpful with conservation measures. It just breaks my heart to see wild animals penned with people gawping at them. I'm not a fan of humans, either. But other people are fans of humans, especially kids, and I know there would have been an almighty shitstorm if the zoo hadn't done anything to immediately save the kid. The zoo was kind of in a lose-lose situation: don't do enough to save the kid and people go nuts. Kill Harambe to save the kid and people go nuts. Although I don't like zoos, I do feel sorry for the Cincinnati Zoo decisionmakers in that regard. They were screwed either way, and it was all because that woman didn't keep an eye on her kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/family-to...re-thanks-124905827--abc-news-topstories.html

The family, which continues to decline all interview and meeting requests, said those who wish to offer them gifts should instead donate to the Cincinnati Zoo in memory of the 450-pound gorilla, who was nicknamed Handsome Harambe by zookeepers for his good looks.

“We are also very appreciative for the expressions of concern and support that have been sent to us. Some have offered money to the family, which we do not want and will not accept. If anyone wishes to make a gift, we recommend a donation to the Cincinnati Zoo in Harambe’s name,” the family said in a statement to ABC News today.

Might turn out to be better people than we thought, I'll hold onto that until they decide to sue or not.
[doublepost=1464810983,1464810382][/doublepost]And then there's this:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-child-fell-gorilla-enclosure-154500240.html

Cincinnati police are now investigating the incident.

"The Cincinnati Police Department is reviewing the circumstances surrounding the incident with the gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo," police spokeswoman Tiffaney Hardy said Tuesday. "After the review, we will determine if charges need to be brought forward. If it is determined charges need to be brought forward, we would then discuss it with the Hamilton County prosecutor's office."

It is unclear if the investigation will focus on the zoo’s actions or on the boy’s mother.

From @Lauralye s link.
Conservative author and commentator Mark Dice uncovered some of the most outrageous tweets, including a slew that referred to the child as a “white boy” and one that called the killing an act of “white privilege.”

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/05...cording-to-public-outcry-346410#ixzz4AOmSwUlT
I'm calling bullshit on this. No screenshots of any posts he's talking about.
Just to be clear, I'm not calling bullshit on lauralye.
This seems like its an attempt by *Conservative author and commentator Mark Dice* to grab some media attention.

Just, DAMN PEOPLE (not YOU people, THEM people)! When Jack Hanna says that gorilla could have crushed that baby's skull like a marshmallow and that the zoo did the right thing, I'm gonna zip my lip about my own lil feelers... He's Jack Hanna FFS! It sucked, let's not lose our shit about it... smdh at people calling this racist... I just can't with that stupid shit... And the celebratards with their angst and "compassion"? Yeah, where were you eejits Thursday when he was just a gorilla (born in HOUSTON, not a captured animal) in a zoo? Hmmm? Where? :banghead:
[doublepost=1464848748,1464848685][/doublepost]
I saw some tweets, lemme see if I can find them again...

ETA: They're below the video at the end of the article.
Okay... okay... damn, I take it back then.

some folks will use whatever they can rile others up, but you would at least think they would make sure of their information before talking out of their asses. You can't really tell from the video, all you can see is little boy, 3-4-5-6 years, depending on who you believe. And that should be enough to want to do something positive towards helping the child out of his dangerous predicament. This is a time to "Come Together" as Harambe would be the first to tell you.
[doublepost=1464892772,1464860250][/doublepost]http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...t-shaming-balancing-0601-20160601-column.html

PARENTING: DAMNED IF YOU AND DAMNED IF YOU DON'T

Nothing calls our can’t-win parenting culture into sharper focus than the outrage aimed at the parents of a 3-year-old boy who entered a gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo over the weekend.

“They should have shot the mother instead,” popped up on my Twitter feed shortly after word spread that zoo officials shot and killed Harambe, the 17-year-old western lowland gorilla who appears, on video, to be dragging the boy through a moat. Similar sentiments have followed ever since.

More than 400,000 have signed a Change.org petitioncalling for the zoo, Child Protective Services and the Cincinnati Police Department to hold the child's parents responsible for Harambe's death.

Strange, coming from the same culture that shames and pillories parents for helicoptering.

Modern parents and our hovering, smothering, hyperwatchful ways have been blamed for saddling kids with anxiety and depression, robbing them of their childhoods, sabotaging their self-reliance and sapping them of future leadership skills.

Ease up, we're told. Cut the apron strings. Lengthen the leash. There's even an annual Take Our Children to the Park … and Leave Them There Day.

"The world is not perfect — it never was — but we used to trust our children in it, and they learned to be resourceful," free-range parenting founder Lenore Skenazy once told The New York Times. "The message these anxious parents are giving to their children is 'I love you, but I don't believe in you. I don't believe you're as competent as I am.'"

Shame on you, helicopters.

Until, that is, your child is perceived as a little too free-range.

Then, shame on you for that.
[doublepost=1464899720][/doublepost]https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gorilla-w...d-barrier-165305532--abc-news-topstories.html

"It takes hard work and a sustained commitment to excellence to meet AZA accreditation standards," Thane Maynard, the director of the Cincinnati Zoo, said in a statement, referring to the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.

"Our exhibit goes above and beyond standard safety requirements, but in light of what happened, we have modified the outer public barrier to make entry even more difficult," he added.

The announcement comes as authorities said the Cincinnati Police Department has concluded its investigation into a toddler's entering and falling into the gorilla the enclosure, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph T. Deter said today. Authorities have not yet released the results of the investigation.

The Cincinnati Police Department said in a statement on Tuesday that the probe was "only regarding the actions of the parents/family that led up to the incident and not related to the operation or safety of the Cincinnati Zoo."

They've secured and raised the barrier and also police dept said their investigation was into the family and not the Zoo, it's finished but results not released yet.

I wish we were as critical of parents who have kids who shoot up schools with guns no one knew they had. I mean where were the parents then.
This shit has gotten beyond ridiculous. A fucking meth head heroin addict had the audacity to claim that he was a better parent while stoned on meth than these people. Um...what? This guy doesn't even have his effing kid right now mind you but he felt the need to toss in his unneeded 2¢
Which to me means people are just talking to make themselves feel better. Even tho we have all had moments where our kids have done some ridiculously dangerous shit without thought to the fact that their parents were standing right fucking there.
When Isaiah was 4 he dropped his orange in the and it rolled into the street. He went into oncoming traffic to grab it before I could tell him no and all I could do was grab him by his shirt before he got hit.
The last time we went to the Children's museum Daphnie ran off multiple times leasing us to look for her in a small crowded building with like 100 other people in there. The first time it happened I thought someone had taken her, til I realized she ran the fuck off. Which is what kids do. And which is what this kid did.
But whatever light your torches, sign your petition and crucify this woman. While you're at it, go ahead and crucify millions of mom's who's kids have done stupidly dangerous shit when they had the chance to.
And that's all I got to say about that. Quote me if ya want but I'm not coming back to this.

I've not been a perfect parent either.

When Corey was 4 we were walking, my ex liked to walk all over, anyway the neighbors boys and my older son (they were all 9-11) were walking in front of us, so Corey was walking with them, all of a sudden all of them just veered and crossed the road, of course he followed them, but he running behind because he was so much younger. I run out in the road to grab him about that time here comes a car over the hill, I grabbed him up and just. stood. there. Luckily the driver was smarter than me and stopped about 6 feet in front of us.

We never walked with all those kids with us again, but the time between him walking in front of me to standing in the middle of the road was less than 5 seconds. Luckily no one was hurt, but we both could have been killed.

http://www.wtol.com/story/32118971/wrong-mom-harassed-after-gorilla-death-at-cincinnati-zoo
Wrong mom harassed after gorilla death at Cincinnati Zoo

[....]
Many people have messaged Michelle Gregg of Weston, thinking she's the same Michelle Gregg whose son fell into a gorilla enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo on Saturday, leading officials to kill the animal.

"It is crazy that they typed in my name, saw that I was from Ohio, saw that I had a little boy, and assumed that I was her," said Gregg.

She says she became a target shortly after the incident.

"That I deserve to die instead of the gorilla, and someone even said that my child should have had his limbs taken off and he should have been eaten alive by the gorilla," said Gregg.

One message even mentioned karma was coming for her and her son.

Gregg says once she figured out the name connection, she started to reply to nearly every message, and changed her Facebook photo.

"People that were hateful, I thought they needed to know that I wasn't the person that they were looking for, and for the people who were being positive, I wanted to thank them," said Gregg.

Several days later, the messages have died down, but she says she still can't believe how people have verbally abused her and the boy's real mother.

"I know how she feels because I'm receiving a ton of email that's directed towards her, and I'm sorry that everything is happening to her like this, and I know what a child is capable of in a blink of an eye," said Gregg.

She says she is now receiving more messages of encouragement, and the hate mail has calmed down.

When I planned a visit to the Zoo with my boys, prior to our going they were sat down for the ZOO TALK. We used to go every year so the older ones got to the point of rolling their eyes in a "this again" manner. Basically it was to remind them that the Zoo was the animals home and we were privileged to be able to visit it. They should respect the animals and follow all the rules while we were there and be responsible for their and their brothers behavior. Any infractions of ZOO rules would not be tolerated. As a result of the ZOO TALK, our family has wonderful ZOO memories and no animals died as a result of our visit.

Back