• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
A friend of mine does legal transcription as well, and she played this 911 call many times with a slightly different opinion...she didn't hear any of the crosstalk or footsteps, so this is just her opinion (she also agrees the tape was altered, skips in continuity, etc., as mentioned before):

"Operator: 9-1-1 Emergency.

Brandon: Yes. I'm in the middle of a field. *Looks like we just pushed some guys over. We're out here going towards Abilene on both sides. My truck ran out of gas.

*Sounds like 'looks like they just pulled some guys over - they're out here going towards Abilene on both sides* (meaning state troopers)

*There's one car here, (___) got ejected into the woods. Please hurry.

Sounds like 'there's one guy, being chased into the woods, please hurry".

--End of transcript--"

Gives me the chills.

A friend of mine does legal transcription as well, and she played this 911 call many times with a slightly different opinion...she didn't hear any of the crosstalk or footsteps, so this is just her opinion (she also agrees the tape was altered, skips in continuity, etc., as mentioned before):

"Operator: 9-1-1 Emergency.

Brandon: Yes. I'm in the middle of a field. *Looks like we just pushed some guys over. We're out here going towards Abilene on both sides. My truck ran out of gas.

*Sounds like 'looks like they just pulled some guys over - they're out here going towards Abilene on both sides* (meaning state troopers)

*There's one car here, (___) got ejected into the woods. Please hurry.

Sounds like 'there's one guy, being chased into the woods, please hurry".

--End of transcript--"

Gives me the chills.
Although I don't believe he's talking about State Troopers, I do feel that it is a reasonable possibility. If that's the case, then again my question is: Where are these State Troopers and their reports? Don't they have to radio this stuff in? And if troopers were involved how did the deputy who was coming from Bronte not see any of this on his way to Brandon's truck?

I wish I had an answer to that. I know a (former) state trooper who was living WAY outside the law...narcotics officer who was stealing the confiscated drugs, so yeah, they should be calling in reports, but if a few rogue cops were into something shady, that's a whole other story.

I actually knew the Lawson brothers from high school (not well). The brother Kyle was my age. I personally think he was intoxicated and wondered off so far out of the search area that he collapsed and was never found.

I don't think that random speculation is something the police are expecting anyone to report. If one knows of a specific uncapped well in the area that he might have fallen in, then sure, report that.
Have you ever been to minnesota?
There are over 10 thousand lakes there plus countless pounds. Plus about 1/3 of the properties are foreclosed on. Sitting empty. Each one of those have at least one septic tank and a well. Theres basements and crawl spaces.

Why would you specify a well?
Is that a hint, a cleansing, sort of like *the truth will set you free?

Have you ever been to minnesota?
There are over 10 thousand lakes there plus countless pounds. Plus about 1/3 of the properties are foreclosed on. Sitting empty. Each one of those have at least one septic tank and a well. Theres basements and crawl spaces.

Why would you specify a well?
Is that a hint, a cleansing, sort of like *the truth will set you free?

Geography is not my strong point.

I'm not sure if this has already been linked earlier in this thread, but on a search, I found this site.

There is a transcript of an interview with his girlfriend (I've seen articles that specifically call her his common-law wife, as well). She gives more detail in some areas, adding some stuff that was happening during the time of his disappearance, such as the fact that he was out that night because they'd had a fight that ended with him leaving and then going missing.

Other parts of the interview are not very clear, though, and leaves me wondering about what clarification may include. I don't necessarily believe she had anything to do with the case, because obviously Brandon was calling 911 and also talking with his brother throughout the night. If she were involved, I'd think that he would have had a clear chance to give that info to at least his brother, instead of talking about running out of gas to both the brother and the 911 call we heard. I think the fuzzy questions that are raised are due to the awkward way that verbatim speech translates into verbatim transcription, combined with maybe the effect of her possible communication weakness.

It's an interesting addition to the questions surrounding this story, though.

I'm not sure if this has already been linked earlier in this thread, but on a search, I found this site.

There is a transcript of an interview with his girlfriend (I've seen articles that specifically call her his common-law wife, as well). She gives more detail in some areas, adding some stuff that was happening during the time of his disappearance, such as the fact that he was out that night because they'd had a fight that ended with him leaving and then going missing.

Other parts of the interview are not very clear, though, and leaves me wondering about what clarification may include. I don't necessarily believe she had anything to do with the case, because obviously Brandon was calling 911 and also talking with his brother throughout the night. If she were involved, I'd think that he would have had a clear chance to give that info to at least his brother, instead of talking about running out of gas to both the brother and the 911 call we heard. I think the fuzzy questions that are raised are due to the awkward way that verbatim speech translates into verbatim transcription, combined with maybe the effect of her possible communication weakness.

It's an interesting addition to the questions surrounding this story, though.

Hey, Scribble, I always like your posts!

Glad you directed me to that site, I found the interview with the girlfriend interesting, too.
I hadn't realized Brandon had tried to call her three times while her phone was -- what -- outside in the car charging, wasn't it? That would... if it were me, it would absolutely kill me that I hadn't been able to answer what were obviously calls for help that may have provided an explanation as to what was going on where he was. I hate that for her (if that's exactly how it happened.) I didn't get why she didn't just charge the phone inside, but maybe that's irrelevant.

Kind of wondering... in this interview she says he'd never just left like that. Maybe for half an hour, she said, but they mostly talked things out with neither of them leaving the home outright for any amount of time, so this was a first in 10 years of being together. So she charges the phone (outside; again, for whatever reason) then goes to sleep, not getting the phone until she awakens. It's a bit -- well, I'd think she would charge the phone and bring it inside, since this is the first time in 10 years that had happened; it's almost like she didn't want to hear from him or anyone. It's probably nothing, but just trying to imagine her mindset, and I think -- fight or not -- I'd wonder if he was okay and I'd wait up until the phone was charged so I wouldn't miss his call(s) -- just curious about that. Had she done that; just waited what, an hour? She could have spoken to him and it would've made a huge difference, I'm thinking.

Speaking of irrelevant, I wonder if the "food stamps fraud" addition to the story has any bearing whatsoever on her possible involvement? Of course, it seems not a bit relevant -- but the guy in charge of that site sure disagrees! Talks about how, if she'd lie about that, she'd lie about what really happened that night, etc. He also talked about her ability to rent a private plane and helicopter to search for him while on food stamps... saying if he working in the oil fields 70+ hours a week, why would she need them, etc. I thought it was a lot of speculating... or much ado about nothing -- any opinions on that part of the site?

Anyway, I haven't been able to get this case off my mind. I'm bothered by, when he's talking to 911, how he seems to be speaking to someone else there with him and says "I didn't call them" or something... seems like someone (someone dangerous) is asking if he called the police (in a threatening way, I mean.) That, and the way he was running.... that just creeped me out so much! Nobody runs that fast (particularly in the dark) if they're not terrified. And hearing those footsteps terrified me a little, too. I hate this, what I'm imagining happened, but I can't see any reason why (or evidence that) he'd disappear on his own... not at all. And if somehow "wildlife" was what scared him, he would've mentioned that; not asked for the police. I feel he knew he was in big trouble when she asked if he needed an ambulance and he was adamant about "I need the police." I don't think he could tell her why right then, I think he wasn't able to. Sounds overly-dramatic maybe, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me, only thing that ever did.

I think (my "thought" and two bucks will buy a cup of coffee, I know...) but I think he absolutely came upon something that could have no witnesses, and he was quieted forever and his body disposed of somehow -- but I can't shake the feeling that that's exactly what happened. It does sound like he's saying state troopers, and my gut feeling is that they were who he came up on -- not saying what they were doing but it wasn't good, and in that remote field... I just can't see it any other way.

And you know, I hope it wasn't like that. I hope he didn't run out of gas on that dark road and wander into a field -- maybe seeing lights or hearing voices that he thought would help him? And then found himself in the middle of something he knew he shouldn't be seeing, then having them confront him and . . . you know. I mean, that would mean he was scared, that he knew he was in trouble, and I hate thinking that. It would be something I'd have a nightmare about, that whole scenario. And I'm usually ever-hopeful that missing persons are found, even if it's only their bodies, so the families may begin some sort of healing which just can't happen until they know what happened. But in Brandon Lawson's case, I've got a feeling his body will never be recovered, and the mystery of his disappearance will never be solved.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. But it won't be Brandon who explains anything, I don't think that's a possibility. Maybe someone who saw what happened, who was there, will for some reason one day give some answers. I think of his family up there searching for him and cannot imagine the things their minds were thinking of as they looked, half hoping to find him and, I'm sure, half hoping not to. This has become one of my top three "Cases I'd Like To See Solved" -- an exercise in futility most likely -- but I'll never stop wondering.

Hey, Scribble, I always like your posts!

Glad you directed me to that site, I found the interview with the girlfriend interesting, too.
I hadn't realized Brandon had tried to call her three times while her phone was -- what -- outside in the car charging, wasn't it? That would... if it were me, it would absolutely kill me that I hadn't been able to answer what were obviously calls for help that may have provided an explanation as to what was going on where he was. I hate that for her (if that's exactly how it happened.) I didn't get why she didn't just charge the phone inside, but maybe that's irrelevant.

Kind of wondering... in this interview she says he'd never just left like that.....

Thanks, TaupinJohn... :) I can see that we are alike in writing novels for posts... lol I have been a transcriptionist long enough to type at the same pace as my speech, and it's easy to slip into a stream of consciousness style.

I did not notice the phone issue, and I'm just replying to what you've mentioned. One reason I can think for leaving the phone outside is if other charger types were not available. Chargers around my house either are so numerous that you trip on them, or they are absolutely nowhere to be found. Maybe they only had the car charger.

Still, I do think that the entire thing is still not quite making sense with the facts reported so far. I don't know which particular point is ringing my instinct, but I am also fascinated by this case. I've listened to that recording a million times--again, I have been a transcriptionist most of my life, and I'm used to extremely bad dictation. However, I am thrown off a little by the interpretations of others that I've read. I sincerely think that there have been no accurate translations yet. When I listen to the recording with the transcripts others have done, it DOES seem to fit in every one of them, but none of them are truly "clicking" all the way.

I read in some place the other night that the recording appears to have been cut in some areas. It would be interesting to know whether or not the investigators really did delete some of the recording before releasing to the public and what the reasons for that would be. Perhaps there was some other statement there that would point to definite foul play and the cops are holding the info to screen out viable suspects.

Thanks, TaupinJohn... :) I can see that we are alike in writing novels for posts... lol I have been a transcriptionist long enough to type at the same pace as my speech, and it's easy to slip into a stream of consciousness style.

I did not notice the phone issue, and I'm just replying to what you've mentioned. One reason I can think for leaving the phone outside is if other charger types were not available. Chargers around my house either are so numerous that you trip on them, or they are absolutely nowhere to be found. Maybe they only had the car charger.

Still, I do think that the entire thing is still not quite making sense with the facts reported so far. I don't know which particular point is ringing my instinct, but I am also fascinated by this case. I've listened to that recording a million times--again, I have been a transcriptionist most of my life, and I'm used to extremely bad dictation. However, I am thrown off a little by the interpretations of others that I've read. I sincerely think that there have been no accurate translations yet. When I listen to the recording with the transcripts others have done, it DOES seem to fit in every one of them, but none of them are truly "clicking" all the way.

I read in some place the other night that the recording appears to have been cut in some areas. It would be interesting to know whether or not the investigators really did delete some of the recording before releasing to the public and what the reasons for that would be. Perhaps there was some other statement there that would point to definite foul play and the cops are holding the info to screen out viable suspects.
I agree. And I would 99.99% agree that the *public* recording is doctored. Being an open and active investigation? There might be possible words or things said that only the police need to know, for now.

It isn't much different than leaving out details of a murder victim found. It is a strategic move, to assess the accuracy of incoming tips.

I'd venture to guess that they have persons of interest. Just not enough to advance from suspect to arrestee to jury indictment. Just my own opinion.

Hi, @ScribbleMuse!
Well, we've definitely got transcription in common! I did medical transcription for about three years, and when my mother began doing it at home a few years ago, I'd go over and take over her workload because her health was bad and she didn't want to lose the insurance. I know I got up to 155-160wpm in high school (they had typewriters in 1982, I tell my son!) Just always loved to get my hands on a keyboard.

Now that social media and the Internet are a part of life for many, I find myself (this will come as a shock to you) writing FAR too long posts, comments, even text messages. People will be like, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" but it's a -- it's a thing with me. I couldn't write a "quick comment" if I had to. And when I go back to edit in an effort to reduce it's size, well it gets even longer. "Oh wait, I need to add..." -- I am the queen of "TL;DR" and my archenemy is the 160 character limit.

Wonder if there's any -- ah -- connection between being able to pretty much type the speed of speech and submitting unusually long comments? I don't mean yours are too long. If the writing's good, hey, I'm in. So I don't think it's a bad thing at all, but it's ridiculous, it really is. Someone I don't even know posted that someone in her family had died yesterday (on Facebook, this was) she asked for prayers. And she needed them after I left my ridiculously long comment... man I was going on about "If you need anyone to talk to" and then, remembering I didn't even know her, I added this long story about how, when Sir Paul McCartney (I know!) lost his wife Linda, he'd found the most comfort, almost a breakthrough, in pouring out his heart to a gardener working on the lawn next door. Didn't even know him, but it was a turning point for him. It was a nice story, but oh my god really? I'm so embarrassed now I haven't even gotten on FB today, which is extraordinary for me.

(You're going, "Yeah, ah, no.... no that sounds like something requiring medication actually...." -- haha I know you are!)

Like this post? Was gonna have one line about transcription and then back to this case. I've already passed the "TL;DR" (Too Long, Didn't Read for anyone who's unfamiliar...) point and I'm still going. Medication, huh? Mayhap.... mayhap indeed!

I'd like to have a couple of tapes of Brandon Lawson speaking over the phone. I found even the most ridiculous voices were so much easier to interpret after hearing them over and over. It became a thing, "Oh, this is the doctor who sounds like he's an Irishman on Xanax" and "this is the one who, I KNOW, does this just to slow me down" -- and you know, you adjust because you've come to know their voice, know how it rolls. The thickest accents, the mumbling-est of 'em all, they got almost clear after several tapes of their best efforts to baffle me.
Not knowing how Brandon's voice rolls is hampering any ability I have to tell exactly what he's saying, and God knows I've listened and listened to that tape and tried so hard. I hate that his wife missed his calls (but she was undoubtedly at home and I think had nothing to do with whatever happened to him.) I hate that, though; we'd know so much more. I also hate that I know (and I do, we do, I mean) that he was running. Because -- well, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a grown man run in fear. Tells me that at very least, he'd seen SOMETHING that he knew he had to get away from.

Also, I don't think... I've read speculation of drug use, the kind of drug (meth) that might cause one extreme paranoia and panic and pretty much a lot of what we've seen with Brandon that night. I just don't -- my gut says that's crap. And once that idea is out there, whether it's been 10 years or 10 minutes since a person's used, once it's mentioned that they did? It's gonna change how a lot of people look at the case. I also discount the idea that he was in fear of those warrants being served or discovered. No one worried about warrants uses the last phone call of their lives to ask, specifically, for "the police." Doesn't jive.

Kind of wondering if my wariness of law enforcement in general isn't what's making me think Brandon came upon some troopers doing something horrible and therefore causing his demise. Like, "Yeah, what a coincidence that they edited the tape; there was no reason, they had no right, to do that. They did it to cover their asses." I just, I can see that happening. And all of us who've tried SO hard to understand this, well we're not getting all of it, so we're getting no real context; whatever they cut has reduced the rest to mere speculation and theory and outright guesswork. I see no valid reason for that.

You know what's creepy, it's when he's on the phone and says something like -- he's not talking directly to the 911 operator but someone else -- says like, "I'm not talking to them" or "I didn't call them" -- not sure verbatim, but it was right around the part where they ask if he needs an ambulance and he says, "I need the police." If I'm certain of anything in this case (and it's just my opinion, of course) I'm certain that when he said that, when he said he needed the police, he meant it.

He knew that whoever was next to him, whoever he'd spoken to while making that call, was going to harm him. This bothers me so much... Of all the emotions to feel, real fear is -- I've known real fear one time. I'm 51 years old and have always looked for fear, in books, movies, real-life crime stories... I went out of my way to see anything that would scare me, I've done that all my life. But something happened to me about four years ago that taught me one thing: I didn't no JACK about fear before. It wasn't fun, but terrible, just -- worse than any physical or even emotional pain I'd ever known (and you don't get to be 51 without knowing plenty of both.) It was paralyzing, gut-turning, and life changing. I wish there was a word for it, but it was... it was the way it would feel if your worst nightmare, your greatest fear, came true -- and "fear" is just too uncomplicated a word for it. I remember thinking, ridiculously, that "Wow, Stephen King's not even scary compared to this!" I felt I'd wasted so much time seeking out something that, in fact, wasn't "fun" at all, it was -- damaging. Like everything else we seek out, it came when I wasn't looking for it; it wasn't in a movie theater, on TV, or between the covers of a book, no matter WHAT the book club says. Like they say of love, it came when it came, not when I was looking for it.

Anyway, since that, when someone I know or read about or whatever, dies? I always want to know, right off, if they were afraid. Not if they were worried or in physical pain or scared like we'd be when we lose control of our car (that's bad, but it's not the worst) -- because I hate to think anyone died knowing that kind of absolutely undescribable fear. It would be worse than the death itself. I'm so serious.
And I think that's what Brandon Lawson felt when he said he needed the police.

I think it was a gamble, and I think it was spoken out of THAT kind of fear. If he was bleeding, then he likely needed an ambulance. If someone had been ejected (or chased) into some woods, an ambulance would be a reasonable request. I think he did need an ambulance. But I think that before that call ended, he knew that what he needed MOST -- was a cop. And I think a part of him knew it wouldn't happen, that it was futile to say so, and that he was risking everything by saying it. That whoever was close to him when he said it would not like it, and that things would go very wrong afterward. I really think he knew he was in something from which he'd never escape, and he just went for it.

And that's just haunting to me. It's -- I can't help but think if that were someone I knew, I'd be just all over the place until every person in the country knew of it. I would. I'd take out ads, I'd call every media outlet, write (godawfully long) letters to everyone, I would make it my life's work. Not because someone was missing, but because someone had walked themselves into a nightmare that turned real.
And I couldn't be okay with that.... not ever.

***Yeah, this added very little to this discussion, and I apologize for that. Usually I don't get so wordy until later in the day, so I didn't intentionally hijack anyone, it just happened. Yeah, I know... medication. :nurse:

Latest posts

Back