• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SimplySpaztastic

The above average, average girl
Bold Member!
Sheriff Tom Nestor:
xlfon6.jpg

His Brother, Dustin Nestor:
jgl0yo.jpg

LINCOLN COUNTY, Colo. - The brother of the Lincoln County sheriff is accused of taking weapons from the evidence locker. Even after he confessed, it took more than eight months for the charges to be filed.

Dustin Zane Nestor is facing eight felony counts, including two counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of embezzlement of public property.

"It's heartbreaking. I can't say any more than that it's absolutely heartbreaking," said Tom Nestor, who has served as the elected sheriff of Lincoln County since 2007. "I would not expect this from any of my employees -- brother or not. They're treated the same. I am appalled."

After a lengthy investigation, District Attorney George Brauchler made the decision to file charges.

“From our standpoint, this is serious,” said Brauchler. “Nobody's above the law."

Details inside the criminal complaint expose a troubling trail of information. The sheriffs-brother-admits-to-taking-guns-from-evidence-locker
sor for the sheriff's office, admitted to breaking into the sheriff’s evidence locker and stealing a Smith and Wesson .357 seven-shot revolver. He also admitted to giving the gun to a convicted felon, hoping the felon would sell it for about $1,400, according to the criminal complaint.

The sheriff said he is “absolutely” concerned the case might have an impact on the integrity of his office.

The criminal complaint also alleges that Dustin Nestor was able to gain access to the evidence room because it was not properly secured.

Less than a week after his initial confession, Dustin Nestor also admitted to stealing a second gun from the evidence room, according to the criminal complaint. But he only remembered this "during one therapy session."

The court document says the sheriff’s brother stole the second gun five days after stealing the revolver and this time, he accessed the evidence locker by taking a master key from a key storage locker inside the sheriff’s office.

Also troubling is the fact that nobody in the sheriff’s office noticed that the the guns were missing from the evidence locker for more than 100 days.

When asked about the trust people should have in his office, the sheriff responded, “Once it came to light we've taken substantial steps to improve security, key control for our evidence locker. Obviously, that is our biggest issue.”

Denver7 Investigates also raised questions about delays in the investigation. Records show Zane Nestor admitted to the crimes in April 2015. Charges were not filed for more than 8 months. The court document said the charges were filed on Dec. 23 – two days after Denver7 called about the status of the case.

When asked why it took so long for charges to be filed Brauchler responded, “I think that's a fair question."

He said part of the delay can be attributed to a forensic computer analysis and illness to an investigator.

“Our call had nothing to do with it?” Kovaleski asked.

“Listen, if I got a call from Tony Kovaleski that said, ‘What's the status of this case?’ Would that light a fire under me to find someone in my office to say, ‘Why is this drawing the attention of the public?’ Ya!" Brauchler said.

"Might it have taken another week or two to get it filed, but for your call.... OK, I can live with that. But I don't think it was languishing on a desk waiting for your call.

“There was no special treatment for the brother of a sheriff?” Kovaleski asked.

“Not a chance. Not in this jurisdiction. No way,” Brauchler said.

Denver7 investigates also asked questions of Zane Nestor following his recent court appearance in Lincoln County but he evaded our questions.

"Do you think he has remorse for what happened?” Kovaleski asked Tom Nestor.

The sheriff responded, “I have no doubt. I have no doubt in my mind he is remorseful. I don't know what was going on with him at the time. I can't speculate on that but I have no doubt about his remorse.”
Dustin Nestor’s trial is expected to begin later this year. He resigned from his position in the middle of the investigation.

In the wake of the break-ins to the evidence locker, the sheriff has implemented several changes.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...er-admits-to-taking-guns-from-evidence-locker

You can read the criminal complaint at the link.

The sheriffs-brother-admits-to-taking-guns-from-evidence-locker
sor for the sheriff's office, admitted to breaking into the sheriff’s evidence locker and stealing a Smith and Wesson .357 seven-shot revolver. He also admitted to giving the gun to a convicted felon, hoping the felon would sell it for about $1,400, according to the criminal complaint.

So this was a crime for cash scenario? Hmmm, pill habit or gambling debts?

LINCOLN COUNTY, Colo. -- A judge sentenced the brother of a Lincoln County sheriff to spend 90 days in jail Friday after pleading guilty to embezzling public property.

Dustin Zane Nestor admitted stealing weapons from the sheriff’s office’s unlocked evidence locker while he worked there as an employee.

His brother, Sheriff Tom Nestor, told Denver7 Investigates in February his brother’s arrest was “heartbreaking.”

Earlier this year, Denver7 Investigates revealed Dustin Nestor confessed to stealing a Smith & Wesson revolver and giving it to convicted felon Daniel Charles Thompson, hoping Thompson would sell it for about $1,400. He later told investigators he remembered during a therapy session that he also took a second firearm from the evidence room.

The sheriff’s office did not discover the weapons were missing for weeks until Thompson’s wife reported her husband threatened her with a gun and she believed her husband obtained guns from Dustin Zane Nestor, according to arrest documents.

Arrest documents also show Nestor admitted in April of 2015 he took the weapons and resigned from his job at the sheriff’s office, but the investigation went on without charges for eight months. In December, Denver7 Investigates began asking questions about the status of the investigation. Within days, Nestor was arrested.

When Denver7 Investigates' Chief Investigative Reporter Tony Kovaleski asked why it took so long for charges to be filed, District Attorney George Brauchler responded, “I think that's a fair question."

He attributed the delay to a lengthy forensic computer analysis and a key investigator’s illness.

“Our call had nothing to do with it?” Kovaleski asked.

“Listen, if I got a call from Tony Kovaleski that said, ‘What's the status of this case?’ Would that light a fire under me to find someone in my office to say, ‘Why is this drawing the attention of the public?’ Yeah!" Brauchler said.

"Might it have taken another week or two to get it filed, but for your call.... OK, I can live with that. But I don't think it was languishing on a desk waiting for your call,” the district attorney added.

“There was no special treatment for the brother of a sheriff?” Kovaleski asked.

“Not a chance. Not in this jurisdiction. No way,” Brauchler said.

Sheriff Tom Nestor told Denver7 Investigates earlier this year his office improved security measures for its evidence locker. He did not attend his brother’s sentencing Friday.

"I would not expect this from any of my employees -- brother or not. They're treated the same. I am appalled," Nestor told Denver7 earlier this year. “I have no doubt in my mind he is remorseful. I don't know what was going on with him at the time. I can't speculate on that but I have no doubt about his remorse.”

The district attorney’s office told Denver7 the evidence Nestor took involved cases that had already been adjudicated, so the thefts did not impact any pending prosecution.

Court records show Daniel Charles Thompson pleaded guilty to a felony charge of making a straw purchase of a firearm in connection with Nestor’s case. He is set to be sentenced in August.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...er-sentenced-to-90-days-in-jail-for-gun-theft

Was he employed there as a deputy or was he mopping floors? I'd like to know what this sherrif felt his bro was qualified to do and i'd like to know what actual qualifications the criminal had.

These sherriffs far too often just do whatever the fuck they want. What an inept office this guy was running, pathetic. He should resign.

Could he be charged as an accessory if someone committed a violent crime with those guns he had no legal right to?
I bet his Sherriff brother was mad enough to shit his pants and rub it in this idiots face for fucking up his job. Nepotism is the word used when family members receive preferred treatment over other employees by a family member in a position of power. And it always happens in small towns like this seems like.
I hope this guys wife files for divorce coz he ain't shit and probably blames her for all the trouble he is in currently.

Was he employed there as a deputy or was he mopping floors?
He was the communications supervisor for the department. I don't know if that means he was a sworn LEO or not; that depends on what the department's requirements are for the position.

--Al

Back