• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...achine-and-died-then-her-mother-was-arrested/

A Sunday afternoon in October, while her mother — who was using prescription tranquilizers — was napping in their Arkansas home, 3-year-old Alexis Haney climbed into the washing machine and closed the lid.

The young children in the home told police they were used to helping with the laundry.

The washing machine, which the family used as a dirty clothes hamper, was programmed to switch on when the lid closed. After the clothes were clean, one child would climb into the open machine and pass the wet clothes to another, who would then toss them into the dryer.

Alexis closed the lid — and hot water started to pour in.

Authorities said she died from “scaling and thermal injuries,” according to a probable cause affidavit filed earlier this week in Calhoun County Circuit Court.

Brooke Haney, 25, from Hampton, a small town in southern Arkansas, has been arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a minor in two separate incidents last year — one in which she is accused of driving with her 7-month-old child in the back seat while she was under the influence of prescription drugs, and the other in which the 3-year-old died, according to court documents.

Following a police investigation, authorities said they determined that she was on benzodiazepines, drugs most commonly used to treat anxiety and insomnia.

Omg thermal burns! How zonked out must this momster have been to not hear her this poor baby screaming as she scalded to death!?! It's sad enough that a 3yo is responsible for doing the laundry!:(

I'm shocked that such young children could even be focused enough to help with laundry in such an organized manner. Judging by their skill with that household chore (and likely others) and the fact their mother had prior arrests for endangering her children, I'm thinking she was pretty much zonked out most of the time.

I'm also shocked a 3-year-old could manage to climb up onto and then inside a washing machine and manage to close the lid on top of herself. (It says lid and not door, so I'm assuming it was a top loader.) It probably went all the way thru the wash cycle before she was even discovered. That poor angel, what a horrific way to go! :bigtears: How long would it take to die of burns in a situation like this? I don't even want to imagine.

Also what do they mean by it being set to turn on when the lid was closed? Was this some super fancy machine? Because when I set a wash cycle water runs into my machine while the lid is up, it just doesn't start agitating/spinning until it's closed. :shrug:

And I find it odd they mentioned it was used as a dirty clothes hamper. In a way, you could say all washing machines are. I wonder if that means the little munchkin actually unloaded all the clothes first just to climb in.

Last edited:
What a terrifying painful way to die. Sounds like these kids were made to fend for themselves often. Very sad. Alexis was a pretty little girl.

I'm also shocked a 3-year-old could manage to climb up onto and then inside a washing machine and manage to close the lid on top of herself.

It says that one kid would unload the washed clothes while standing in it and pass the clothes down. I'm sure there was a chair or something in front of it for that, but even a 7yo couldn't reach the bottom of the washer without getting in it. A 3yo is capable of pushing a chair there and climbing in. My friend 2.5 year grandson "helps" her with the laundry, she hands him the washed clothes and he throws them in the dryer and then closes the door for her.

It's possible she didn't close the door on purpose, she may have bumped it and it closed on her, most likely imitating her big brother doing laundry. When kids are not supervised things you couldn't even imagine can happen.

And I find it odd they mentioned it was used as a dirty clothes hamper. In a way, you could say all washing machines are. I wonder if that means the little munchkin actually unloaded all the clothes first just to climb in.

Huh?

Dirty clothes go straight to the washer. When it gets full, it gets started. Seemed straightforward to me and a pretty good idea especially for some little kids to think up.

I wonder how she didn't drown in there.

And what a worthless shit human being this mom is. She was too anxious to take care of her kids? Fucking pathetic and shameful.

I use my washer as a "hamper". Going through potty training and I don't like to have pissy/shitty clothes laying around in our living areas or bathroom.

That said, it isn't the children's job to do the fucking laundry. I don't think a kid that small should be anywhere near a washer or dryer, they are fucking death traps. Keep the lid closed and have it set to be off when I'm not using it, and for God's sake don't teach your spawn to crawl into the damn thing.

My boyfriend's family kept giving me shit for not having my two year old just climb in and hand me the wet clothes when I was too pregnant to reach. This is exactly why I politely told them to fuck off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ed-then-her-mother-was-arrested-a7163666.html

This from July 30th

After an investigation that lasted months, Haney was recently charged with two felony counts of endangering the welfare of a minor, which carry a maximum penalty of up to six years in an Arkansas Department of Correction facility. It's unclear whether Haney has an attorney.

Court clerks in Calhoun County told KARK that Haney's two surviving children are in the custody of the state's Division of Children and Family Services.

Haney is expected to have another baby next month.

Nothing that we didn't already know, except that she has a new one to terrorize.

Oh goodie another kid ..
I'm sure she's a hardworking taxpaying American :)

The State took your other welfare checks :rolleyes: so spit out another one.
... Hope this one doesn't find the microwave :finger: scumbag

Wonder if she was pregnant while taking the tranquilizers?
And why have another baby if your existing kids stress you to the point of needing tranquilizers in the first place??

I'm 3mos pregnant right now & so exhausted that I feel like I'm on tranquilizers! :yawn:

I can't imagine it would be safe for the developing baby, dr's barely let you take tylenol while pregnant, doubt they would prescribe such a potent drug to a pregnant woman?

She's on her facebook laughing about not being in jail. However, that may change today as she's in court today.
[doublepost=1476729826,1470833384][/doublepost]
Any update on her case?
I looked on her Facebook and I didn't see her laughing about not being in jail. All I saw was a long and unintelligible post she made implying she missed her daughter. Could you give a little more info on what she was laughing about? I'm
Sure the AG and investigators wouldn't be too happy about reading those type of comments.
I can't imagine the pain and fear this little girl went through wishing and hoping her drug addled mother would save her. So senseless and unnecessary .

I looked on her Facebook and I didn't see her laughing about not being in jail. All I saw was a long and unintelligible post she made implying she missed her daughter. Could you give a little more info on what she was laughing about?

She made her FB private now. Still can't find where her case stands. She had yet another child last fall. Yikes. The pic I was referring to was her in a bikini in front of a pool house with "Wow, being in jail is tough, huh?" with a wink wink next to it.

@cubby @Satanica @Keepalowprofile @Momzilla @Buffettgirl
May 19, 2017

An Arkansas mom will serve five years probation after pleading guilty in the washing-machine death of her daughter.

Brooke Haney, 25, of Hampton entered the plea on two counts of first-degree endangering the welfare of a minor related to two incidents, records filed April 20 in Calhoun County Circuit Court show

The girl had suffered “scalding and thermal injuries” after the lid to the washing machine was closed and caused a preset cycle to start, authorities said.

Alexis was pronounced dead about an hour later at the Medical Center of South Arkansas in El Dorado.

One of Haney’s three daughters, whose identity was not released, told police that she and Alexis were routinely asked to help with laundry, Arkansas Online previously reported.

At times, that meant that one of them would climb into the washing machine to get clothes and place them into the dryer, she said.

The second child-endangerment charge stemmed from an Aug. 21, 2015, incident in which Haney was pulled over by a police officer after showing behavior indicative of someone unfit to drive, according to authorities. Her then-7-month-old infant daughter was in the back seat.

Haney failed several field sobriety tests and did not have a valid prescription for pills found at the time, records show.
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/19/arkansas-mom-gets-60-months-probation-washing-mach/
1541752650821.png

5 years probation! :mad:That's not even a slap on the wrist for allowing a child to die while she was sleeping, too stoned or whatever to actually get up and supervise her children who were actuallly doing her work for her.

She got off easy. I hope she is haunted everyday and night until she takes her last breath.

Lazy bitch making her babies do her work while she nods on what ever drug she was on.

Wow, pretty much what everyone else said. I have a 2 year old, 5 year old, 16 year old, and a geriatric dog that leaks. It’s amazing how laundry can pile up. I specifically don’t allow my children to touch the washer, it just one of those things they’re too young to be comfortable using. I let my 5 year old help with dishes and twice she’s tried to be helpful and overflowed the sink.

That poor baby, probably playing a game or trying to help out. Terrible thought but wouldn’t a child in the wash bin throw it off balance? I say this, but just had to get a new washer because that feature did not work and a couple of pillows and a blanket caused it to beat itself to pieces.

Side note my washer was recalled for that, when we called them they said they would send someone out to replace the faulty piece, but it wouldn’t put back together from the damaged caused by the faulty piece.

On a side note I was watching that tv show my 600lb life & this single mom was so debilitated by her weight that she relied on her 4yo son to do the housework including the laundry. In one scene the 4yo climbs inside the washing machine to remove the clothes to the dryer.

My first thought was- my god that is so dangerous! What if that machine turned on?! It’s not like the mom could help him, considering she was 2 rooms away & unable to get off the couch!

It’s really baffling that a parent would endanger their child like this but apparently it’s not that uncommon! And with hardly any punishment for her negligence, there’s nothing to deter this mother from continuing her pattern of endangering her remaining children!

We're still using the washer and dryer we bought back in January 1991. Good old Kenmore set. Unfortunately, you can't find ones that last that long anymore. The only work I've ever done to them is that I replaced the roller bearings and the belt on the dryer about 5 years ago. Other than that, they've never had any work done to them. Any my kids can all do laundry. They change loads and fold when I am out and about doing other stuff. When I am home doing laundry, any of them who are home help fold. It's one of the tasks that my wife doesn't have to do at all. And because of that, I don't have to clean the bathrooms. I think it's a fair trade.

I have a cheap Roper washing machine and it got to where it wouldn't spin out all the water and was making noises, so we looked it up on line and ordered some parts. Way cheaper than buying a new one. That Roper may be cheap but it's one of the few that still has an actual agitator and water level settings. Most of the newer ones decide the water level for you and often don't add enough water for the load.

They last longer if you use them properly and don't mix fabric weights and that sort of thing which I'm still cautioning my d-i-l about after umpteen years. That's why they got right on fixing it, because last time I told her they would be buying the new one.

Latest posts

Back