• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/3-children-in-kentucky-found-living-in-shed-authorities-say/

Authorities say they found three children living in a shed in Kentucky that had no electricity, no running water and a bucket containing human feces.

The Boyle County Sheriff's Office said in a news release that deputies found the children Tuesday in the shed just southwest of Danville after receiving a report that children were being abused or neglected.

Authorities say 44-year-old Gregory Wilkerson and 25-year-old Brandi Harmon were living with the three children in the shed behind a home.

Deputies say the children were taken into protective custody and received treatment for "extreme rashes and bed bug bites."

Deputies said Wilkerson also had a child support warrant out of Lincoln County and was also charged with possession of marijuana, CBS affiliate WKYT reported.

Both adults are charged with three counts of first-degree criminal abuse of a child under the age of 12.

I don't get the big deal. The majority of children outside the western world live in conditions like these. Is nearly the entire populace of south america guilty of child abuse? GIve me a fucking break.

I understand removing the kids, providing services to the parents and that whole deal, but abuse charges? Surely something worse was uncovered besides what the article mentions.

"3 children in Kentucky found living in shed, authorities say"

...so... What's the story here? Like @JackBurton said, conditions like these are the norm all over the world. Before I read his post, but read that the couple were being charged with abuse, I thought "wtf for?! Providing the only shelter they could at the moment?" Yes, it sucks that they have endured these rashes and bed bugs, but the parents aren't purposefully inflicting harm on them (at least what we know so far). I'm sure there are MANY other children living in MUCH worse conditions in Kentucky.

Weird. It's central KY, not eastern. Usually this stuff happens in eastern KY. Of course I'm from western KY and I went through high school without running water and heat, so...

We didn't have a poop bucket, though, we used the toilet and flushed it with gallon jugs of water filled up at a friend's house. I'm a fucking grown ass adult and still salty about my own comparative experiences a good 10+ years later. It sticks with you.

This may not be the DD definition of child abuse but it is neglect. Maybe Jack's right and there's more to the story.

Last edited:
How often does one change a poop bucket? Perhaps it's just me but if I had to poop in a bucket, I'd be disposing of that daily. Not letting it accumulate.

How often does one change a poop bucket? Perhaps it's just me but if I had to poop in a bucket, I'd be disposing of that daily. Not letting it accumulate.
We had an outhouse a one point in my life and we used chamber pots (aka. poop buckets) at the night. They were emptied every morning. I was born in the 70s.

It bothers me that the crime seems to be "being poor".

Being poor is one thing. Being a nasty motherfucker is another. Poor kids had to be miserable covered in rashes and bedbug bites. Aargh.
There are services they could have taken advantage of at least for the kids sake. If they wanna live that way fine but don't let your kids suffer as well.

yeah, i dunno about this one. But I think first degree child abuse charge means the children, who are too young to help themselves, were in a situation that can cause them serious harm or injury. And they were probably charged because they may have been able to better the situation, but for some reason, didnt...i think lol

If they brought back DDT the bed bugs would be eradicated in the US again. Even nice clean middle class people get them nowadays.

well that doesn't sound very safe. How does a person get bedbugs tho? I've never had that so I don't really know how that happens.

Last edited:
Back