• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...cant-speak-spanish-sues-failing-teaching-post
A Florida teacher who speaks no Spanish is suing her employer for discrimination, after the school rejected her for a job that required teaching an hour of Spanish per day.

Third grade teacher Tracy Rosner filed a federal employment discrimination lawsuit against the Miami-Dade County School Board, claiming that her race – white – prevented her from getting the job.

fter a decade of working at Coral Reef Elementary, Rosner requested last year to teach reading and language arts to students in the Extended Foreign Language (EFL) program, a track that allows students to learn a language other than English for an hour per day.

The school rejected her request because it requires that reading and language arts instructors of the EFL program speak Spanish, said the lawsuit.

Rosner’s lawyers said she was denied the job “because of her race and national origin as a Non-Hispanic individual who was not a fluent and native Spanish-speaker.”

Rosner said the school could have given her the position and had another instructor teach the Spanish component.

The lawsuit claims that because non-Spanish speakers are in the minority population of Miami-Dade County – where census data shows that about two-thirds of the area’s population are Latino or Hispanic – denying Rosner because she does not speak Spanish amounts to “employment discrimination on the basis of race and national origin.”

The Miami-Dade County School Board did not respond to AFP’s request for comment.

Being white is not keeping her out of the job, the fact that she can't SPEAK Spanish is keeping her out of a job.

The Miami-Dade County School Board did not respond to AFP’s request for comment.

I'm sure they don't know what to say, what to reply to such an assinine suit.

teacher who speaks no Spanish is suing her employer for discrimination, after the school rejected her for a job that required teaching an hour of Spanish per day.

Canada is a bilingual country...English / French. I never had a French, French instructor.

Sometimes the French teachers we had were learning French right along with us,

So it does look like discrimination from here.

Canada is a bilingual country...English / French. I never had a French, French instructor.

Sometimes the French teachers we had were learning French right along with us,

So it does look like discrimination from here.
Its not that she isn't Spanish, its because she doesn't speak spanish.

Its not that she isn't Spanish, its because she doesn't speak spanish.

Okay fine she isn't Spanish...Doesn't speak it either,

My point was that even though I live in a bilingual country

none of our French instructors were fluent.

They really were learning French right along with the rest of the class.

This looks like a tit for tat type lawsuit. She probably perceives (or is the case) that Spanish heritage instructors are getting certain percs or accommodations made for them that allows them to teach certain subjects, ( you know, the kind of discrimination against whites that Fox news bitches about all day long) and she's just someome who's fighting back against it.

Trust me, when Hannity or O'Reilly have her on she'll be heralded as a fucking Rosa Parks of the anti-white discrimination movement. Trust me.

All she had to do was pick up the Spanish rosetta stone and she'd be fluent enough to teach those kids in a couple weeks.

Rosner said the school could have given her the position and had another instructor teach the Spanish component.

Or you could just learn it, like you expect the kids to do. :rolleyes:

So...she wants the job of Spanish teacher, but can't speak the language, and her idea is for the school to pay for 2 teacher and only 1 of them teach Spanish while she does...what?

Sits in the corner looking dumb, I guess.

Most schools don't have enough teachers to go around anyway and she wants 2 for her class simply so she can say she's their teacher while someone else does the actual work.

It worked for Warren, she wasn't a minority but still got paid 350k to teach one class And now she's a fave of libs

Elizabeth Warren lives in a multi-million-dollar mansion and relied on fake Native American heritage claims to land a job at Harvard.

So it was not required that your teacher already speak French, (or Quebecois). That was a a different time and place.

But if this school district required knowledge of Spanish for the course, she has no recourse. And she shows no desire to learn spanish by herself or along with students. She wants extra accommodation instead.
Maybe she is hoping for an out of court settlement because it is cheaper to settle than the expense of going to court even if the school district wins the case.
[doublepost=1469759093,1469758897][/doublepost]
Trust me, when Hannity or O'Reilly have her on she'll be heralded as a fucking Rosa Parks of the anti-white discrimination movement. Trust me.
I wouldn't be surprised. There are cases of real discrimination, but this is a trivial case. If this gets too much publicity, she'll spoil it for more important cases that deserve discussion.

I don't grasp why any third grade curriculum should require a foreign language component? I suppose it's best to hit that up while they're young, but i've never heard of that being a core mandatory thing that young. Get the basics down first, then start in with the extracurricular shit. Odd stuff.

I wonder if this school is only hiring teachers that can cover a wide array of various course work. They don't just want a early childhood english/history teacher, or someone who can do math, they want all their staff to be able to do it all. I can understand this womans frustrations if that's the case, especially if she's been teaching a long time. That's no grounds for an absurd lawsuit though, send a resume somewhere else ya dumb bitch.

I'll never understand the way people feel entitled to work at a certain place. Attaining employment isn't a fucking choice, you take what you can fucking get and if you can' get hired, tough fucking luck, if you don't like something about your job, fuck off then. People expect this shit to be easy, fuckin bizarre. It's unfortunate more people aren't unemployed to be honest. I think if employers sat down and really pondered whether the majority of the folks they hire TRULY deserve the gig, TRULY are doing everything they SHOULD or COULD do in the position, they'd come up with a very negative conclusion. Most people don't deserve the money they supposedly "earn".

Probably just were you live :p

I took french for 6 years and every single one of my teachers (4 different schools, 2 different provinces) was fluent. You only learn french in french class, of course the teacher is mandated to know french. Most cities have all french schools as well.

Also there's a reason "real" french people don't teach french in Canada. The french in France is a lot different than Canadian french. Canadian french is actually called Québecois. The grammar is the same but words can be completely different things.

Spoken is were the biggest difference comes in. There are only 12 vowels in french but in Québecois there are more than 15. There is a big difference between pronunciation and phonetics as well. My uncle and a good friend both live in Quebec, I can understand them perfectly fine. I went to France and could barely understand anything other than catching the odd word here and there.

It's like saying someone from Portugal can teach Portuguese in Brazil. Same language! Except it's not...

of course the teacher is mandated to know french.

Mandated...French class was just being introduced (mandated) in Ontario when I began

(was forced to) take french classes. And even then it was only for certain grades, so its wasn't

as common as it is now where instruction in the french language begins in grade one.

In my situation none of our french instructors were fluent.

Mandated...French class was just being introduced (mandated) in Ontario when I began

(was forced to) take french classes. And even then it was only for certain grades, so its wasn't

as common as it is now where instruction in the french language begins in grade one.

I did my schooling in Alta and BC. Grades 4-8 were and still are mandatory french although now days in Alta its been changed to mandatory second language (doesn't have to be french).

Between this bitch and Abigail Fisher, 2016 is shaping up to be the year I'm most embarrassed about being a white person.
I think this is really common but unfortunate. There are so many intricacies of language that having a non-fluent teacher can sometimes set you backwards because you learn things the wrong way. I had a couple of teachers that weren't fluent and I learned practically nothing from those classes. Did you have a similar experience or does the system work better in Canada?
I don't grasp why any third grade curriculum should require a foreign language component? I suppose it's best to hit that up while they're young, but i've never heard of that being a core mandatory thing that young. Get the basics down first, then start in with the extracurricular shit. Odd stuff.
My school required us to take either Spanish or French starting in 3rd grade. Granted this was in New Orleans, where there is arguably more emphasis on foreign language skills. Honestly they should start earlier because it's so much easier when you're young, and even if you don't use it (though everyone should probably take Spanish these days), there have been countless studies linking polyglotism with intelligence.

This woman may be a strong case for that argument.

Did you have a similar experience or does the system work better in Canada?

I can't say whether the system works better or not, but I will say that I didn;t have very much instruction and it wasn;t because my teachers were not fluent but because they took some time
deciding when and what grades would be taking the class and i always seemed to miss out, like when they decided that french language would be taught in fifth grade I was leaving it so i picked it up in grade six until they decided that only seven and eights would be taking it, so year six was gone and I picked it up in again grade seven. with my own kids it was different, french began
in grade one, so I think continuity also plays a part.

Back