• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...tephen-rankin-trial-virginia?CMP=share_btn_tw
A Virginia police officer who will stand trial for murder this week told a witness “this is my second one” after shooting dead an unarmed black 18-year-old, a court heard on Tuesday.

Stephen Rankin, who had killed another unarmed man four years earlier, was recorded by his Taser’s camera making the remark to a Walmart staff member seconds after killing William Chapman in the store’s parking lot in the city of Portsmouth in April last year.

At a final pretrial hearing on Tuesday, Rankin’s defense team argued unsuccessfully that the comment should be censored during his trial for first-degree murder at Portsmouth circuit court. “This statement is not probative of anything,” said James Broccoletti, his lead attorney.

But their motion was denied by judge Johnny E Morrison after prosecutors argued that they should not have to “sanitize the evidence” around the deadly shooting.

“The defendant made the comment not just in the presence and earshot of a witness, but to the witness,” said Stephanie Morales, the commonwealth’s attorney, who is leading the case against Rankin.

The judge’s ruling raised the prospect that Rankin’s previous use of deadly force would at least be hinted at to the jury that must consider whether he acted with justification in shooting Chapman.

Morrison had previously ruled that prosecutors may not directly tell jurors that Rankin, 36, killed Kirill Denyakin, a 26-year-old hotel cook from Kazakhstan, in 2011. A grand jury declined to bring charges against Rankin after the officer claimed that Denyakin, who was also unarmed, reached into his waistband and charged at him. Rankin, who was responding to a complaint about Denyakin loudly banging on the door to an apartment building, shot him 11 times.

Rankin, a US navy veteran, is charged with first-degree murder and using a firearm in the commission of a felony for the fatal shooting of Chapman on the morning of 22 April last year. He denies the charges, claiming that he fired in self-defense when Chapman lashed out as he tried to arrest the 18-year-old on suspicion of shoplifting. He has since been fired from his job.

The charges followed extensive coverage of the shooting by the Guardian in connection with an ongoing project to document every killing by law enforcement officers in the US.

A witness said last year that Chapman appeared to knock Rankin’s Taser from his hand during their physical struggle in the parking lot. Rankin’s attorneys made clear on Tuesday that they intend to argue that the electronic weapon was indeed out of his reach.

They also suggested that photographs of the Taser at the scene that are expected to be used as evidence are misleading because the weapon was kicked by a fellow Portsmouth police officer who had arrived on the scene. “It is clearly relevant to the defense’s case, in terms of ‘did he have access to the Taser?,’” said Broccoletti.

Broccoletti did not elaborate on whether the arriving officer had said why he kicked the Taser or whether the kick was intentional. Asked by the Guardian after Tuesday’s hearing to explain the incident further, he declined to comment.
[....]

When I was a teenager, there was a cop, Officer Lefler, who was just a hyper-aggressive asshole. Also ex-military, I once watched him violently slam a cooperative classmate onto the hood of a police car because the kid was smoking a cigarette and wouldn't tell Lefler if he had any on him or where they were (smoking for minors was criminalized in an individual sense when I was in high school; no longer just illegal to sell to minors, a minor in possession could be fined).

He was let go shortly after I graduated for taking out one too many innocent people. Two "suspected perps" and, finally, a bystander standing on his porch when the officer shot recklessly at a man making a run for it. Poor dude took a bullet right through the neck. Died instantly.

Surely shapes some of my sentiment to this day. I'm not anti-cop at all. But there are too many guys like this in the ranks, and the vast majority get away with it. This guy probably would have too, had a camera not caught his glib comment.

Yes, you are.

No, again, I almost was a cop. I'm friends with cops. I haven't called for their death or their dissolution, but rather a return to community policing. It will be better for both parties.

I'm anti-militarization of domestic peace-keeping entities. I wouldn't expect you to grasp the distinction. ;)

No, again, I almost was a cop. I'm friends with cops. I haven't called for their death or their dissolution, but rather a return to community policing. It will be better for both parties.

I'm anti-militarization of domestic peace-keeping entities. I wouldn't expect you to grasp the distinction. ;)
As far as the militarization of police forces go, I believe they should always be capable of outgunning a homicidal lunitic. If I, as Joe Q Citizen can go purchase an AR-15 style semi-automatic weapon, then the police should have acess to a fully automatic version.

I have no problem with people owning these type of weapons, but everyone has to admit that they were designed solely for killing human beings, and that lunatics with varying motives tend to use them for their intended purpose.

As far as the militarization of police forces go, I believe they should always be capable of outgunning a homicidal lunitic. If I, as Joe Q Citizen can go purchase an AR-15 style semi-automatic weapon, then the police should have acess to a fully automatic version.

I have no problem with people owning these type of weapons, but everyone has to admit that they were designed solely for killing human beings, and that lunatics with varying motives tend to use them for their intended purpose.

I don't disagree. That's what SWAT is for. So, why are they serving minor marijuana-related warrants? The very purpose for their inception was to be a specialized team capable of handling extreme circumstances. Now, they handle everyday circumstances, and we wonder why they pop off easy.

The way SWAT officers and deployments have skyrocketed - 1,500% in 20 years - is not a reflection of the crime rate. It is the domestic equivalent of sending our military special teams out to sweep villages not known to be combative. Overkill, no?

The "us vs. them" attitude that has been instilled within cops is what leads to this violence. Civilians are the enemy in many police training programs. "Even a little ol' lady could be holding a glock and taking you out! Don't flinch! Negate the perceived threat immediately! You will not be prosecuted."

Not healthy.

When hordes of savage lunatics are burning down their own neighbourhood because a police officer killed a man who tried to steal his sidearm, the militarisation of law enforcement is entirely justified.

Aggressive cops have zero business behind a badge.
Send his ass away for life.

Not only has use of SWAT increased exponentially, so has using SWAT on basis of word of mouth from unreliable informants and just people calling in false situations. I mean, wtf, do they get paid extra every time they trot that shit out or what. Can't afford investigators any more? Don't care because the citizens pay the court costs later anyway?

Back