• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Another reason why we can't have nice things or even the things we really need.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-4-billion-on-abstinence-education-in-africa/
That is the amount of money the U.S. spent over a 10-year period from 2004 through 2013 promoting abstinence before marriage as a way of preventing HIV in 14 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Unfortunately, according to the most comprehensive independent study conducted to date of the effort, the money was more or less wasted. A rigorous comparison of national data from countries that received abstinence funding under the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) with those that got none of the funding showed no difference in the age of first sexual experience or in the number of sexual partners or teenage pregnancies—all aspects of behaviors that have been linked to a higher risk of becoming infected with HIV.

Instead the study showed that one of the most important factors associated with lower levels of risky behavior was the number of years women remained in school. Other efforts that have proved effective in slowing the spread of HIV include treating the infection in pregnant women so they do not pass the virus on to their newborns, the study added. The research by Nathan Lo, Anita Lowe and Eran Bendavid, all at the Stanford University School of Medicine, was published in the MayHealth Affairs.

Although the latest findings about PEPFAR's prevention efforts are disappointing, its treatment programs have been entirely more successful. A previous study by Bendavid in 2009 and another in 2012 showed that the government initiative has saved at least a million lives by making anti-HIV medications more widely available to those who need them.

That figures.

But we haven't spent one single dime to get the word out about safe havens.

Fact
After reading the article of the college student that tossed her baby in the trash. It quoted her as claiming to not know that safe havens were available.

So I cssually asked my daughter (age 18) if she knew what a safe haven was.
Her answer (I kid you not) "a drug and alcohol free place where kids can hang out." So I gave her a prompt by saying *it has to do with babies.
Her answer "a drug and alcohol free place teen parents can hang out with their babies."

So I know they give sex education in school, I signed the permissoon slips for all my kids. How hard would it be to talk an extra 10 minutes about safe havens and the law surrounding killing your baby?
The teacher went into great detail teaching how to properly install a condom and a lot about STD's but not one word of what to do if you accidentally get pregnant.

^^^
The Wire is such a great show.

Bet this was some right wing christian jackass inspired/run/motivated initiative. Fuck donating money to improve overrall education there, let's just give em some money for specific abstinence nonsense. Fucking dopes.

Back