• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
And a bit more...........

"We don't know how the woman could have left the girl in the back of the car," Koontz said. "That is still under investigation."

Assistant Chief Timothy Miller said that while negligence may have been involved, it appears the death was a tragic accident. He said the woman was in a relationship with the girl's father and regularly cared for her.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-year-old-pennsylvania-girl-left-in-hot-car-dies/

He said the woman was in a relationship with the girl's father and regularly cared for her.

I went looking because to me a babysitter doesn't normally drop a child off and then goes to her job. Babysitters generally babysit. When I read that this woman was in a relationship with the father of this poor child abandoned in the back seat to the hellish, blistering heat we had here in the east during that period, it made the hackles rise a bit and had a whiff of Cow Plop about it.:cow:

Last edited:
How in the Hell can you FORGET a four year old? A giant kid who sitting in a car seat that raises them up to a level so that you can see them, they are not back facing, they are not quiet, they are very visible to anyone in the front seat.

Even tho, I can almost make myself believe a child can be forgotten, tho I really don't know how, I'm almost positive this baby was not forgotten, no way.

Might be another case of the girl/boyfriend getting rid of the former partner's children to make way for their own. Like a Cuckoo in the nest.

Tragic accident, my ass!

What four year old would be back asleep like that, right after getting up in the morning?

Every kid that age I've ever known talks a mile a minute when in the car. Looking at and asking questions about everything they see out the window.

The only way I can see that not happening is if the child was sick. Maybe laying down, as Nell said. But in that case, a daycare wouldn't let them in anyway. So none of this smells right to me.

A toddler in east Dallas has become the 21st child to die in a hot car this year in the U.S., according to the national safety advocacy organization KidsAndCars.org.
That figure is nearly twice as high as the number of children who died by this time last year, the organization reports. When CNN last published a story June 9 about hot car deaths, 11 children had died this year by that time. That means that 10 more kids have died in a little over a single month this summer.

CNN last published a story June 9 about hot car deaths, 11 children had died this year by that time. That means that 10 more kids have died in a little over a single month this summer.

CNN last published a story June 9 about hot car deaths, 11 children had died this year by that time. That means that 10 more kids have died in a little over a single month this summer.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/health/21-kids-died-hot-cars-2016/

Even tho, I can almost make myself believe a child can be forgotten, tho I really don't know how, I'm almost positive this baby was not forgotten, no way.
They've done some interesting studies on the why's and how's that this happens. It can and does happen to anyone. It's happened to a pediatric doctor and to a rocket scientist. They've found it happens more often to parents who are doting and loving than ones who are impartial to their children.

It basically comes down to the fact that your brain functions in different ways and with different sections for varying tasks. It auto pilots through any routine task, this auto pilot can cause you to completely disregard anything in your surroundings. This same section is responsible for habits, good or bad. If you drive the same route to work every day there comes a point that you don't even pay attention to anything around you while driving. Most people can't even recall the entire drive because your brain is functioning off auto pilot.

Cognitive memory kicks in for things like tasks. Stopping at the daycare to drop your child off. They've found that the habit or auto pilot part of the brain can actually completely suppress the cognitive memory portion of the brain from kicking in. The risk of this happening drastically increases with lack of sleep or stress.

Since the 90's FBS has sky rocketed, in America specifically. And they partially attribute that to the fact that people lead more hectic and stressful lives now than previous generations. The reason the stuffed toy trick (toy in car seat when child gets out, in front seat when child is there) works so well is because it eventually becomes a habit and goes into the auto pilot section of the brain. That way you have a visual cue even if your cognitive memory hasn't kicked in.

I agree it happens sometimes, but I don't agree that this is what happens every single time when a child dies in a hot car.

Why do you think the death rate has doubled, is it a "This can never happen to me problem" or a "Careless about the baby" problem or a "I don't give a fuck" problem.

If it's all a memory thing, then there should be 2 or 3 dead babies a summer. The death rate has almost doubled in just over a month, why do you think that is? As much as this is in the news, why is it still happening so much? There needs to be a study on that.

I agree it happens sometimes, but I don't agree that this is what happens every single time when a child dies in a hot car.

Why do you think the death rate has doubled, is it a "This can never happen to me problem" or a "Careless about the baby" problem or a "I don't give a fuck" problem.

If it's all a memory thing, then there should be 2 or 3 dead babies a summer. The death rate has almost doubled in just over a month, why do you think that is? As much as this is in the news, why is it still happening so much? There needs to be a study on that.

Honestly a few of the recent ones raise my eyebrows and they don't fall into FBS. There seems to be an increase of out right neglect with more than a few of the recents. Like the cops wife who was napping and the other family who looked for 2.5 hours without calling anyone. Neither of those are FBS, even though the children died in hot vehicles, their parents didn't put them in and leave them - they just simply neglected them. Being high on drugs or drunk also doesn't qualify one for FBS. Neither does leaving a child in the car while you run into Walmart.

What I found the most interesting in all these studies is that America leads in this phenomena. It's not that it doesn't happen in other countries, it does. But at way lower rates. A lot don't end as a fatality either. There has never been a FBS death in the UK. People have forgotten their children but they always remember in enough time to get the child before anything fatal happens.

I think this warrants international studies, which have never been done. I have a few personal opinions of why it happens in the US and less in other places. Mostly it comes down to way of life. Europe has a very different mentality than across the pond. It's slowly changing with the times to become more Americanized, but for the most part family units are very traditional in their values and life is calmer and not as stressful.

With small children it's very common for only one parent to be working. Only recently have you seen spikes in dual income families with small children. And a lot of times if they are dual income the mother(or stay at home dad) only work after the child reaches school age (3-4 in most places) and they work part time at menial jobs.

A lot of the FBS cases in the EU involve parents forgetting their children at places, not in vehicles. I think some of this happens because vehicle ownership is a different here as well. Public transport is more commonly used here. A lot of families only own one car. A family vehicle is almost always a very small car or station wagon and window tinting is very rare to see.

FBS seems to happen most often when there is more than one person responsible for juggling the daily routines. You seldom see a FBS death with a single parent or in families were one is a stay at home parent.

Back