• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...plunging-California-bridge-pictured-time.html

Charles Allison Jr., 48, was driving a gravel truck when it rear-ended a BMW on Highway 101 in California, causing the car to spin out of control and teeter perilously on the edge of the bridge.

Mr Allison's vehicle ploughed through the guardrail and plummeted to the creek below, bursting into flames and killing the driver - while the mother and two young children inside the BMW looked on.

Dangling over the edge of the bridge, Kelli Lynne Groves, a 36-year-old first grade teacher, and her two young children - Sage, 10, and Milo, ten-weeks old - awaited rescue.

It has now emerged that baby Milo did not stir once, despite the massive impact that caused Ms Groves’ car to land on the centre of the concrete guard rail.

Even when emergency services arrived on the scene, she slept through the commotion and never cried once, the California Highway Patrol told KSBY.com.

They credited the tot's mother for helping to save her life by placing the baby in a rear facing car seat behind the driver seat.

The terrified family waited for an hour for rescue crews to extricate them from the wreckage, and received help in the meantime from a group of Navy Seabees who were stuck in southbound traffic.

The Seabees used a forklift they were transporting to stop the BMW from going over the bridge, KTLA reports.

The three Groves' were taken to hospital. Ms Groves and Sage suffered moderate injuries and Milo had only minor injuries. All were said to be in stable condition.

article-2086530-0F73C50600000578-979_634x445.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't know that they would have been able to get the car off the side of the bridge without them. The coincidence that the Seabees were back there and had the very item needed to keep that car from falling completely over is remarkable.

The car looks as if it was mashed to only about a foot thick, that the people in there survived is remarkable also.

Wow - my heart rate went through the roof just looking at the images!! Amazing the Seabees were there, and the family in the car (so it seems, at least) stayed calm until they were saved.

http://m.independent.com/news/2012/feb/02/truck-driver-fatal-crash-was-high-meth/?templates=mobile

The results of a toxicology report released Wednesday show that Charles Allison Jr. — the truck driver killed in last month'sdramatic accident on the Nojoqui Creek Bridge near Buellton — was under the influence of methamphetamine at the time of the crash.

The extremely high level of meth in Allison's system, explained Sergeant Sandra Brown with the Coroner's Office, means he was actively using the drug, either while driving or at a stop made within 30 minutes of the accident. “He was at the level where people exhibit aggressive behavior or have hallucinations,” Brown said. Allison also had amphetamine in his system, the report reads, the result of his body breaking down the methamphetamine.

The California Highway Patrol has ruled Allison's drug use the direct cause of the collision.

Allison, 48 years old and a resident of Grover Beach, was killed when his tractor-trailer hit a BMW in the northbound lanes of Highway 101, careened off the bridge into a creek bed, and caught fire. The driver of the BMW — 36-year-old Kelli Groves of San Juan Capistrano — and her two young children remained trapped in the car for over an hour as it teetered precariously on the edge of the bridge 100 feet in the air.

Fire crews were eventually able to extricate the family with the help of a nearby Navy vehicle and its forklift. All three were transported to Cottage Hospital and treated for moderate, non-life threatening injuries. Both sides of the highway were shut down for hours and traffic was rerouted to Highway 154
This is an old article.
Ass hole was out of his mind driving any type of vehicle let alone a big rig high out of his mind on meth.

Again, yay for those seabees.

I am confused about the part where the mother saved the baby's life because she did what everyone is supposed to do for a child under 12 months, which is place them in a rear facing car seat. That does not seem value add to the story. If the kid was in a front facing seat and survived then that would be part of the story, "baby survives even though mother can't follow car seat instructions."
[doublepost=1469488868,1469488801][/doublepost]And.. Its freeway not highway around these parts.

Damn! I don't see how that was even a car. That pic is scary! Way to go mom for the proper car seat, too! That baby slept through the whole thing so everybody involved deserves all the credit that can be given! There's a bunch of heroes in this story! Just not the high dude that caused it, of course!

Although I can't say I'm pleased Mr. Allison died in this crash...I can't even type accident at this point after reading the results of his toxicology reports...I am happy if anyone was to survive...that it was the mother and her babies. To me his passing is karma. You reap what you sow.

What a story they will have to tell the infant who slept through the entire wreck and what followed...the pics are terrifying. It appears mom and big sister have quite a few injuries. I hope they heal well. I see a major lawsuit coming against the trucking company Mr. Allison was driving for. Seems to me these toxicology reports make it a slam dunk.

That does not seem value add to the story.

I'm guessing he was just sneaking in a public service announcement of the greatness of strappping your children in properly.

I personally don't think the carseat was what really kept the baby safe, kept him from bouncing around the car, for sure, but I think it was a miracle that part of the car wasn't crushed more, if it had been the baby would have been hurt, might not have ever woke up, then.

Whatever you put their survival down to, it needs to happen more often to innocent people going about their day, harming no one.

Even when they're not on meth those rock hauler driver's go way too fast to be able to stop if and when they need to. I remember each and every fatal accident I hear about that involves them even though I do not remember the victim's name, dates, etc. The last one I heard about was a local woman whose car was also rear ended by one right in town at a major intersection. There's no fucking excuse for that except not giving a shit. Sorry, not sorry.

Our tax paid Jarhead engineers doing civil duty some justice. Right now this is the best justice America will find.
The day our nations top cop can be in a position of conflict of Interest is the day Loretta Lynch has control of the people's Justice.
The only thing worse would be if Eric "Gun Runner" Holder had a Contempt of Congress vote for Obstruction of Justice.
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/235475-house-votes-holder-in-contempt-of-congress
Can it get worse? Only if a President shuts it down a congressional investigation that will implicate the authority behind the legality of a sovereign nation of laws.
http://www.amren.com/features/2015/01/eric-holder-even-worse-than-you-thought/

Whoa. That pic is crazy. I'm not surprised he was on meth, a lot of drivers use artificial means to stay awake to drive hours and hours on the road. I am surprised people survived coz that is just something out of a fucked up movie. Final Destination style.
At some point however it isn't just the meth that has you hallucinating its the overall lack of sleep that is fucking with you as well and it's just a clusterfuck.
They already drive like Satan is riding shotgun I can only imagine how fast he was going hopped up on meth.

Back