• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-woman-found-dead-upstate-ny-daughter-charged-155024701.html

The mother of a sex worker whose disappearance led to the discovery of 10 sets of human remains strewn along Long Island's Gilgo Beach was found dead in her apartment and another daughter has been charged in the killing, the family's attorney and police said Sunday.

The body of Mari Gilbert, 52, was found around 2:15 p.m. Saturday inside her Ellenville apartment in the Catskills, police said.

Sarra Elizabeth Gilbert, 27, was arraigned on murder and weapons possession charges, Ellenville police said in a release on Facebook.

Family attorney John Ray said Mari Gilbert was fatally stabbed. The daughter was being held without bail at the Ulster County Jail. She was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

Sarra Elizabeth Gilbert suffered from serious mental disabilities and had been charged several months ago with fatally stabbing her dog, Ray said in a telephone interview. He said she had lived on and off with her mother.

Read more at the link. Sad state of affairs for this family.

For the parents of the violently mentally ill, our broken system forces them to wager their life just to love their child. What a tragedy-filled existence. :(

Anythings a Gilgo if yer brave enough.

wait, that's not right.

If stabby Stabbertoon had been in an asylum, this never would have happened.
#BringBackAsylums

@Sejanus , not just any asylum, GOOD ones that'll actually help people! :) I knew that's what you meant, though.

In the article, they don't make it very clear if the girl has psychological problems (which would be understandable at this point after all the drama... Although her other sisters haven't killed the family dog...or their mother! & only one other sister had sex...repeatedly...for money- that we know...) or if she has developmental disabilities, etc. (Or both...! o_O)

Anyway!

@lithiumgirl fuck the investigators, don't u agree? :) I mean, I don't have kids, but if it were my niece or cousin or friend's kid, I'd be up investigators' asses making sure they were doing their due diligence. Just by reading your posts, I'm pretty sure you'd be all the way through colons..!! Haha!

I do feel really awful for those two remaining daughters... Good Lord, I hope they can live some sort of relatively peaceful lives after this. Maybe they can manage to get their sister into a prison for the criminally insane.

Oh! One last thing: if she was gonna stab anyone... She really should've gone for the lawyer. Did you SEE that horrifying maroon velvet blazer?! Jesus H. Christ on a cracker!

It can be so hard with severe schizophrenia that features violent tendencies. Treatment IS available, and the patient deserves to live a free life. But it relies so heavily on that treatment, and they can become nonadherent to their medication and routine at the drop of a hat, and it doesn't take long for them to regress at that point. Mom may have had no real way of knowing what she was walking into that day. Thinking she's going to visit a stable, medicated child and getting slashed to death as the result of paranoid delusions instead.

There's no easy solution, and it just breaks my heart for everyone involved. The daughter will theoretically get treated while incarcerated, and have the clear-headed knowledge that she killed her mother. Just... Ugh.

God, this poor mother. Her slain daughter looked so much like her -- ugh.

You know, I get that nobody cheers for the whores of the world, but must we really describe the murdered girl every single time as "slain prostitute..." how about "murder victim..." Why not? Is there any other occupation -- and it is an occupation, albeit an illegal one -- that causes the media to wet their pants over as much as that one?

I think there are two kinds of "professional" women. (1) There are the kind brought there by addiction or manipulation (they was pimped, haha) -- something not altogether of their own volition. The ones who hate what they're doing, hate themselves for doing it, and often set the trick up to rob him when he shows up instead of actually doing what was agreed upon. Or
(2) The kind that have a passion for sex -- strangers or no -- and who decided to see how that worked out for them. Who are admittedly proud of their talents and tend to keep a regular clientele' -- because they're good at it; they enjoy it and it shows. The kind who'd never set anyone up or try some trickery ("Let me run out to my car for some toys...") She's happy, the men are happy, and if there's any real harm done, I'm sure I don't know what it is.

I mean, that's how she made her money. But I submit that it's a non-issue and shouldn't be brought up every time her name is dropped. For God's sake, journalism, really? She was killed. Sure, put her "occupation" in the story. But why keep on and on with the "slain prostitute Shannon Gilbert" -- how about "murder victim Shannon Gilbert?" How would it kill you to give her that much dignity? Just bothers the hell out of me. If she wasn't running a game and she wasn't playing anyone (as in something that might've led to the reason for her murder... ) which by all accounts she was not, then it's irrelevant. And it's bad journalism and a slap in the face, I'm sure, to her mother who, rest her soul, survived the pain of losing a child... made it through that horrible nightmare... only to be killed by a different one? I feel terrible for her.

I know how it feels to have a child you're not THAT into housing but -- if they have nowhere else to go, I mean you love them, you can't put them on the streets -- been there! So we take them in and do what we do best: Love them and trust it will work out. This mother -- she should've HAD an out in a competitive mental health in-patient facility, but yeah... She had to know this girl was a threat, just a -- someone kills the family dog, and you'd worry. I would. I'd wonder if I saw something change in her eyes, I'd be so paranoid I'd never sleep. I hope she didn't feel that fear (because that would suck) but I'll bet she did. People know their kids, know when something's off.

And every parent that's ever read a story of matricide or patricide has wondered how that would feel, to die at the hands of the very life you created. I just -- I feel so bad for her, and I hope the investigators DIDN'T hate her. And if they did, I hope they didn't show it, because frankly, no matter how much she pushed them, no matter how she behaved, she gets a pass because her child was murdered. I hope the investigators gave her some latitude, some wide latitude, regarding her seemingly pushy (again, I don't know that she was, just speculating) -- because for them to cause her additional grief, that would suck, as well.

I'm going to decide that it may have looked that way to the public, but in fact the investigators appreciated her cooperation and her hindsights into helping them discover what had happened, not only to her but to so many other young women dumped where she was. I hope they had nothing but respect for this mother just for maintaining throughout the investigation, and I hope she knew that. I hope she didn't feel that LE was against her, somehow that would be insulting; you'd wonder, "Is it because her kid was a prostitute?" And yeah, you'd figure it was. But I've got three daughters who I'd love just as much no matter what they chose to do. And it wouldn't hurt less to lose a child just because she'd made mistakes -- it would almost be worse. Just too much for that mother to have to deal with -- I hope there's no part of that that's true.

Rest in peace, you strong (but unfortunate) woman. If there's a next life, I hope you come back as something awesome. I think you've got some awesome coming.

@cubby
08/04/17

Sarra Gilbert, convicted of murder for the brutal stabbing death of her mother, will spend at least 25 years in state prison.

Ulster County Judge Donald Williams said, if he has anything to say about it, the Ellenville woman will never walk free again.

Williams sentenced Gilbert, 28, to 25 years to life in state prison — the maximum sentence allowed by law — for the July 23, 2016 stabbing death of Gilbert’s mother, Mari, 52, during court proceedings Friday.

Gilbert stabbed her mother with a 15-inch kitchen knife 227 times, beat her with a fire extinguisher, sprayed her with the foam from the extinguisher, stripped her and removed her jewelry.

Barbara Hyde, one of the 12 jurors who voted to convict Gilbert, said she agreed with the sentence handed down by Williams.

Hyde, who said she attended the sentencing for closure, said she was glad Williams said he would push to make sure Gilbert gets the mental health treatment she needs, but also that she isn’t released from prison.

For most of the 40-minute proceeding, Gilbert stood, swaying silently, beside her attorney John Ray.

But when asked by Williams if she wanted to address the court, Gilbert sobbed briefly and asked for mercy.

The prosecution contended Gilbert plotted the killing and carried it out because the older woman had Gilbert arrested months earlier for killing a puppy and had temporary custody of Gilbert’s young son. The defense portrayed Gilbert as acting out of delusions brought on by a lifetime of abuse and mental illness and a state mental health system that repeatedly let her down.

Senior Assistant District Attorney Emannuel Nneji called for the maximum sentence, saying Gilbert “wove a tangled web,” when she began using drugs as a young teen and misled everyone into believing drugged behavior was mental illness.

Gilbert’s youngest sister, Stevie Smith, called her sister “wicked” in a letter read by Nneji, and said Gilbert “tormented and belittled their mother for years before she killed her.”

Ray, though, asked Williams to show Gilbert mercy, saying the “circumstances surrounding the perversion of this girl’s soul, her mind, her heart, should strike a chord of courts heart.”

“We know she was raised in one of the worst families this county has ever had in its bosom,” said Ray, recalling testimony that Gilbert was sexually abused by one of her mother’s boyfriends, that her older sister was a prostitute with her mother’s blessing, and that her mother practiced “black magic,” which ultimately led Gilbert to believe her mother was a demon.

At one point, Ray called on Williams to show Gilbert the same mercy that Jesus showed to the thief on the cross.

Williams, though, said it was clear that Gilbert’s act was “not only intentional ... but premeditated and planned.”

“I will never be able to put out of my mind the comments of your sister and your attorney, ‘if you’re afforded the opportunity, you will kill again,’ ” said Williams.
http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general...to-life-in-prison-in-stabbing-death-of-mother
Sarra-Gilbert-25.jpg

"Gilbert stabbed her mother with a 15-inch kitchen knife 227 times, beat her with a fire extinguisher, sprayed her with the foam from the extinguisher, stripped her and removed her jewelry."

Holy moley, that's criminal insanity. I hope her sisters move and never see her again.

"Gilbert stabbed her mother with a 15-inch kitchen knife 227 times, beat her with a fire extinguisher, sprayed her with the foam from the extinguisher, stripped her and removed her jewelry."

Who does that but a crazy person ... I hope she gets to a hospital. I think this judge is a bit of an ass, because I think its awesome when some kids (not all) kill their parents. There is something divine and pure about it. When God made the heaven and the earth, he asked himself if each thing was good before he put it out there, and this just completely opposite. Simply Mari with the shit she made. Getting murdered by it like Mallory Knox but different.

Who does that but a crazy person ... I hope she gets to a hospital. I think this judge is a bit of an ass, because I think its awesome when some kids (not all) kill their parents. There is something divine and pure about it. When God made the heaven and the earth, he asked himself if each thing was good before he put it out there, and this just completely opposite. Simply Mari with the shit she made. Getting murdered by it like Mallory Knox but different.

Med check time.
:nurse:

Back